SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: latest info from canada

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430, 2001 ML 55, SL 55 on order
latest info from canada

I was speaking with my dealer today and here is the latest updates on the sl 600 as per them. they say they can get me one (if i want it) by may at the latest. the cost should be about 30k canadian more than the sl55. i think i will stay with the sl55 as i cant see the sl600 being any better to drive. I also inquired about the SLR and was told that they have a slot available 2 years out. something to think about i guess. Since they are a factory owned store i dont have to deal with all the politics about markups and favoritism.

I have a few days to decide if i want to add the pana roof to my car but am having a hard time deciding. Any thoughts ??? i only use my convertibles on nice days and the only time i drive with the roof up is if i get caught in rain so i wasnt planning to take the roof. i thought it might not look as good when the roof is closed. any insight is appreciated.

thanks,

Realcanuk
Old 01-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 sl55 AMG
Panoroof

Hey, I'm a transplanted Canuck (from Saskatchewan) now in Houston. I've had my Brilliant Silver 55 for about 3 weeks now, and I made sure I had the Panoroof. For one thing, the sunshade is not completely opaque, so even when it's deployed, there is a translucent light getting through. It's still enough of a block so that you can glance directly at the sun easily (obviously not recommended frequently), but adds a nice light feeling to the cabin.

One of the main reasons to have it though is the exterior look with a swath of black extending from windshield to trunk the width of the roof. An outstanding accent to the silver and makes the car even more dramatic from outside. I have always liked the look of the Porsche Targas and this is similar.

Also, not many out there, so exclusivity as well.

My 2 cents...I would order every option even if you only use it occasionally, but the Panoroof is a must!

Finally, the sl600 is probably a great car but no quad exhaust and no AMG trim, just a very inconspicuois V12 label at the front wheel well...and it is not as fast and doesn't sound the same.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:30 PM

996tt, E55, X3 and a few others not worthy of mentioning here...
I did not opt for the pano roof as it seemed a bit redundant to me. If weather permits (like the winter we are currently having), I just drop my top down and turn on those heated seats. I guess the silver and black glass roof contrast is a personal thing having seen a few SL's like that plus the odd 996 Targa but it did not appeal to me that much. Maybe on an obsidian black model.

On the SLR, my conversations have led me to believe that there are some slots left but only for the final production year which is 2007. Then again, maybe your sources are better than mine.

Honk if you see me in town!

Cheers.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the 30K you saved from the SL600 and get a Mini-Cooper. That should be fun!! But I think a V12 twin-turbo should be the BEST engine available in the entire MB lineup within the next 2-3 years! Its a tough one!

I am not in your class yet, only I'm struggling to trade my C32 for a E55. Although the E55 has a very powerful engine, but I just think the E55 is too big!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:20 PM

2003 S500 4-matic, 2003 SL55
I think the Pano roof is cool and ordered it, including almost every thing else except for Distronic. Thought that was a waste of money. Good Luck
Old 01-30-2003, 07:43 PM

Mercedes
Originally posted by Canuck
I did not opt for the pano roof as it seemed a bit redundant to me. If weather permits (like the winter we are currently having), I just drop my top down and turn on those heated seats. I guess the silver and black glass roof contrast is a personal thing having seen a few SL's like that plus the odd 996 Targa but it did not appeal to me that much. Maybe on an obsidian black model.

On the SLR, my conversations have led me to believe that there are some slots left but only for the final production year which is 2007. Then again, maybe your sources are better than mine.

Honk if you see me in town!

Cheers.
Nice to see another Canuck here. My dealer said I would be getting my SLR by mid 2004...(I hope he's not lying) and I'm looking at getting my friends SL55 for $10k over sticker. Decisions decisions....
What part of Canada are you from?
Old 01-31-2003, 11:46 PM

996tt, E55, X3 and a few others not worthy of mentioning here...
We share the same hometown. Have PM'd you.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by mookie
I think the Pano roof is cool and ordered it, including almost every thing else except for Distronic. Thought that was a waste of money. Good Luck
That's how I have the options as well (obsidian black/charcoal black).

You can't really see the roof from the outside, but from the inside, it is awesome. It's an absolute must have!

Another reason to get the panorama roof is for tall people. It gives you another inch of headroom!

Wolfman