Notices
SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) Discuss the SL55, SL63 and SL65 AMG.

Turbocharger design

Old 03-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
Turbocharger design

I am rather surprised to notice that AMG does not use water cooled bearings, a set-up used on much lesser cars to increase turbocharger life.

Does anybody have information on the thinking or engineering supporting this selection?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 170 Posts
the only thing i can think of is that larger low-compression engines with little overlap in camshaft phasing have naturally low exhaust temps. thus, maybe ze germans decided that there is no need for water cooled bearings.

besides, modern ballbearing turbos are far less susceptible to cooking oil so oil cooling is prolly sufficient and keeps things somewhat simpler.

alex
few cars
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 07 SL65, 06 S4
Correction

After getting access to more pictures and engineering designs, I found that there is in fact a coolant supply (from the bottom) and rises through the t/c bearing to keep temperatures in check - particularly after engine shut down.
now I can sleep much better again....