SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Brake Job on 03 SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Brake Job on 03 SL55

I was wodering, I plan on replacing the front brake pads on my SL, however the dealer told me to have them do it because I would damage the SBC. They said that by backing the piston back inside the caliper, I would create a back pressure into the system if I failed to shut the SBC off. Apparently the dealer has a system in place to were they shut down the SBC while replacing brake pads on the AMG's. What do you all think?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
I was told that sometimes the car can throw a fault code for the sbc but I changed mine with no issues you need to put new pad wear indicators on when you change them as the old ones often break. Mine is a standard sl55 02 UK car and dealers over here are charging an equivilent of up to $175 per hour labour so it pays to do minor jobs yourself......

Originally Posted by charles pearson
I was wodering, I plan on replacing the front brake pads on my SL, however the dealer told me to have them do it because I would damage the SBC. They said that by backing the piston back inside the caliper, I would create a back pressure into the system if I failed to shut the SBC off. Apparently the dealer has a system in place to were they shut down the SBC while replacing brake pads on the AMG's. What do you all think?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 AM

I already bought the pad sensors, and you are right, $330.00 for pads and another $300 for labor. I bought pads from eBay for $130.00 and I know how to do a small brake job, but the only thing that concerns me is when you replaced your brakes how did you clear your fault code, and is there any difference in the 02 SL55 as opposed to an 03 SL55?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Go to http://www.alldatadiy.com/ They have all the on line shop manuals for a yearly subscription. Yep, the BMW and MBs use the computer for brake breeding. But, you could do it without it if the Gods are with you. If you trip a code, you're out of luck.

I did it on by Jag S type R. Kind of hairy, even after reading the manuals. But it did allow me to get the pads of my choice. As far as rotors, accept no substitutes. Use MBs which are Brembos. Others are crap. Don't forget to replace the entire brake fluid in the system--much better job if performed. Only lasts for 2 years due to moisture issues.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the input, I don't think I'm willing to take the risk of throwing a fault code, so I will just supply the brakes and let the dealer do the job. Knowing my luck, I will cause more harm than good, wishing I spent twice as much money by letting the dealer do the job, this will at least bring peace of mind for me.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55
brake job

I plan on doing my brakes on my 03 sl55 in a month.

Like you, I will be buying my parts. I bought Carsoft software for my laptop to read and clear all faults.

I understand there are 4 ways to avoid throwing a code and getting HURT while doing the brakes. SBC brake system cycles brakes when car thinks someone is in car and about to start up.

1) disconnect both batteries
and/or
2) disconnect plug from SBC under the hood
3) lock car doors and do not let anyone near car while you have your hands near the calipers. MB manual says this but, I not suggesting.
4) Use STAR system ($2-5K) to turn off system like the dealer

Very important, open bleed screw on calipers when pushing pistons back. This will push old brake fluid out versus backward into system.

If anyone has tips or better info, let me know before I do them in a month.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:51 PM

OK

Thanks for the input, I also know that there is no brake fluid resovouir, so how do you replenish the lost brake fluid? Your absolutly correct with you safety pre-caustions, I would hate to loose a finger or two if the pistons clamped shut, Ouchhh! I believe you are a little far more advanced than I am LOL, I dont have the soft wear nor the star system at my disposal.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by charles pearson
Thanks for the input, I also know that there is no brake fluid resovouir, so how do you replenish the lost brake fluid? Your absolutly correct with you safety pre-caustions, I would hate to loose a finger or two if the pistons clamped shut, Ouchhh! I believe you are a little far more advanced than I am LOL, I dont have the soft wear nor the star system at my disposal.
Charles:

It sounds like you have been enjoying the SL55! Hopefully you have been dusting all the locals!

You can disconnect the batteries and the SBC connection, but the best way to control everything is with the STAR dx system. We have them. They are a little pricey, but if you are planning to work on your Merc/AMG, it is probably worth the investment.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any help..... and watch those fingers!!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 AM

Hello Dino.

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Charles:

It sounds like you have been enjoying the SL55! Hopefully you have been dusting all the locals!

You can disconnect the batteries and the SBC connection, but the best way to control everything is with the STAR dx system. We have them. They are a little pricey, but if you are planning to work on your Merc/AMG, it is probably worth the investment.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any help..... and watch those fingers!!
Looks like you have been busy selling and buying new cars. I appreciate the advise, however I will have to wait a moment before venturing out on the star system. Hey, I like what Veloce has going on out there in Arizona, only wished I was local for a few, just to get the lowering done. Take care and tell your brother that I said Hey.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
to do the brakes on a SBC enabled vehicle is not that much more difficult then doing a non-SBC vehicle.

We have had a few customers just simply unplug the battery, unplug the SBC, and do the brakes.

A Few pointers.

Once you unplug the SBC Do not! open the doors or trunk

Once you are done with your brakes, please make sure you unplug the SBC back in before you do anything else. Plug your battery back in, and open your door. You will hear your SBC pump turning on and pumping fluid. I would do this a few times before you even get in the car, open hear the pump, wait for it to stop, then close the door... wait a few seconds and do it again.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM

Ok

Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
to do the brakes on a SBC enabled vehicle is not that much more difficult then doing a non-SBC vehicle.

We have had a few customers just simply unplug the battery, unplug the SBC, and do the brakes.

A Few pointers.

Once you unplug the SBC Do not! open the doors or trunk

Once you are done with your brakes, please make sure you unplug the SBC back in before you do anything else. Plug your battery back in, and open your door. You will hear your SBC pump turning on and pumping fluid. I would do this a few times before you even get in the car, open hear the pump, wait for it to stop, then close the door... wait a few seconds and do it again.
Thank you for your input, I will definately take that into consideration. Hey one question, were do go to unplug the SBC pump?? LOL, Can you walk me through finding the pump?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
I am going to help a friend with his E55 do this in a few days. Where is the SBC plug?

Also, should we open the bleed valve before we push the pistons back or not?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by FLSL55
I am going to help a friend with his E55 do this in a few days. Where is the SBC plug?

Also, should we open the bleed valve before we push the pistons back or not?
Bro I don't know where the SBC plug is, but I would definitely open the brake fluid reservoir and bleed her afterwards.