SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl55 squeaking noise and roll bar issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
Angry Sl55 squeaking noise and roll bar issue

The car is a 2004 SL55 with 40Kmi

1) when I press the gas lets say more then 35% (approx) I get a squeaking noise that does not last (less then a second), kind of sound like a bov (blow off valve) from a turbo charged engine (vented to the atmosphere) just not as loud.

2) The roll bar/windscreen does not come up 100% when using the button on the center console (not as a security measure under aggressive driving etc.), and the back smaller windows won't come up neither (when convertible top down). I am not sure if the windows should come up or not.
When I lower the windscreen/rollbar I push the button untill it the engine stops and the roll bar lock in place. But when I try to put the roll bar up, it stops before it suppose to and the engine keeps "trying" but the bar doesn;t go past a certain point.

Does anyone has any idea about how to solve any of those issue, similar experience, fixes or troubleshooting please let me know
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
When the top is down you need to hold the window button in the up position for a little longer and the smaller back windows will come up. The BOV noise is your supercharger clutch engaging you can do a search and find many articles on the subject. Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by dbesins
The car is a 2004 SL55 with 40Kmi

1) when I press the gas lets say more then 35% (approx) I get a squeaking noise that does not last (less then a second), kind of sound like a bov (blow off valve) from a turbo charged engine (vented to the atmosphere) just not as loud.

2) The roll bar/windscreen does not come up 100% when using the button on the center console (not as a security measure under aggressive driving etc.), and the back smaller windows won't come up neither (when convertible top down). I am not sure if the windows should come up or not.
When I lower the windscreen/rollbar I push the button untill it the engine stops and the roll bar lock in place. But when I try to put the roll bar up, it stops before it suppose to and the engine keeps "trying" but the bar doesn;t go past a certain point.

Does anyone has any idea about how to solve any of those issue, similar experience, fixes or troubleshooting please let me know

You my friend have the supercharger clutch squeek. Learn to live with it because the fix is elusive. The squeek is not harmful to your engine.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM

sl55
Thanks guys.
I could not find anything on the roll bar not locking all the way up
Anybody has a clue
Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
I haven't been in an R230 that automatically stops the motor when the roll bar is raised, so I think it's normal behavior.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Thanks guys.
Anybody has a clue
Your roll over bar does not go completely vertical. The motor continuing to run is normal when pressing the button. If you have an emergency deployment, the switch/hydraulics are used to release the lock on the spring mechanism so it can be returned to normal position.

The other stuff about the window and squeak is correct. You can replace the clutch assembly on the supercharger or try a couple other methods to "resurface" it lol.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Thanks guys.
Anybody has a clue
Maybe you could take a picture of the bar when it is up, so I can see how far it goes. Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 PM

sl55
thanks Dino
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 PM

sl55
after looking at pictures I realized the roll bar is fine... I was just waiting for alocking sound and the engine to stop by itself
thanks to all for the help!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
after looking at pictures I realized the roll bar is fine... I was just waiting for alocking sound and the engine to stop by itself
thanks to all for the help!
Problem solved!