SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Any former BMW M3/M5 SL55 AMG Owners in here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Arrow Any former BMW M3/M5 SL55 AMG Owners in here?

I am pondering a change. I truly love my current M5, but I am longing for the sun to beat down on my head, and something a little less subtle and sportier (in looks) than the M5.

If you previously (or currently) owned a BMW M3 or M5, how did the transformation go?

I'll be honest, the hardest thing I am probably struggling with is going to an automatic trans. from my current 6 speed. I am hoping the rest of the car will level things out.

Your input/advice would much be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
I've owned an E46 M3, 6-speed, as well as numerous other 6-speed cars. If you can believe it, I am a hardcore manual transmission fanatic, even though I currently don't own one.

The transition is not easy. I regularly lust for a 6-speed car, and often times have to bribe friends into letting me drive theirs to get my fix. The truth is though, there just isn't anything out there like my AMGs. There just isn't. The E60 M5 6-speed is terrible, and the E39 is just too dated for my taste. There are other 6-speed cars I looked at to compare my 65 to (997TT, Gallardo) but none did all the things my SL can do. The transmission weighed HEAVILY against the SL and it still beat out the others. I honestly will wind up needing a 4th car in manual, but I won't get rid of the cars I have now. I love them that much.

-m
Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 55 amg
Thumbs up Nothing like them

As someone who had never driven an AMG , what a rush. I have to say that the sheer power of these cars even bone stock is awesome. The beauty turns heads but the power makes believers of those who say they cant run with the big boys. I hit the dyno locally against a friends 04 vette and put him to shame even after he hit the juice to catch up . Make the switch you won't ever look back in regret.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 AM

07 SL55AMG
I used to own an M3 convertible.
The car was really well put together. I remember shortly after purchasing it, the driver's front seat had small defect in the leather.
They replaced the entire seat with no argument!
As driving the two, I prefer the SL55 hands down.
That's not taking anything away from the M3 - just that AMG really know's how to tweak a V8 engine with that kompressor!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I own and track both cars (M3/SL55), and they are completely different. Really not comparable. I enjoy them both, but for different reasons. As for the AMG's gearbox, I so rarely drive it in the auto mode that it is more like an SMG to me, and since I have been driving it so long in manual, it actually shifts quickly through its adaptation process.

If you have an E39 M5 (which I also had), the technology of the AMG car is miles ahead. My suggestion is to go drive a few of the cars you are thinking about and make your choice.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:47 PM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
See my list of former BMW's - go for the AMG and you'll never look back!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Almost a Member!

SL55 AMG, Jaguar XK120, Lincoln Town Car (car for business in NYC), Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
About a month ago I was riding shotgun in my friends 07 bmw e60 M5. It was nice having the extra space compared to my sl55amg, but I did not get to drive the m5. The trans in the M5 felt very jerky compared to my sl55. I like them both, currently I own the sl55, but I am looking to possibly pick up a Bmw M5 soon for various reasons.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
I had a BMW Z-8 and the SL 55 and kept the SL for many reasons. Loved them both but the SL won out as I was keeping only one to be a daily driver. Loved the top function as opposed to having to remove it. Missed the six speed and the exclusivity of the Z-8. Modded the SL and have never looked back. I do wish the bottom hadn't fallen out on the SL's as far as pricing is concerned. Had I kept the Z-8 it would still be worth as much as I paid for it. The SL is less than half. That said, I still prefer the SL.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:01 PM

SL 55 AMG
SL55 would blow M3 doors rite off ......
Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 PM

2006 Dodge Viper, 2006 SL55
Have Both

I never owned a BMW but I too, did not want to give up my 6-speed manual in the Z06..so I kept it in addition to buying the SL55.

My recommendation is to keep your M5 for the days you get the urge to row through the gears. However, you will love the brute force that the SL55 has even with the auto tranny.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM

SL55
I had a 2003 SL55. Loved it. Then I got the itch for an M5. Wanted the Eisenman exhaust and race car sound. Sold my 2003 SL55 and got a brand new 2009 M5 every option. Very slick. Total race car, but rough and bumpy n jerky even in chill mode. A canyon monster when M button pressed. Would kill the SL55 in a race....BUT....I missed the SL55 so much that I got rid of the M5 and went back to a 2005 SL55 AMG. Totally happy I did. Much prefer the best all round aspect of SL55. Nothing compares, not my Porsche, nor BMW's.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 PM

LS430
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I've owned an E46 M3, 6-speed, as well as numerous other 6-speed cars. If you can believe it, I am a hardcore manual transmission fanatic, even though I currently don't own one.

The transition is not easy. I regularly lust for a 6-speed car, and often times have to bribe friends into letting me drive theirs to get my fix. The truth is though, there just isn't anything out there like my AMGs. There just isn't. The E60 M5 6-speed is terrible, and the E39 is just too dated for my taste. There are other 6-speed cars I looked at to compare my 65 to (997TT, Gallardo) but none did all the things my SL can do. The transmission weighed HEAVILY against the SL and it still beat out the others. I honestly will wind up needing a 4th car in manual, but I won't get rid of the cars I have now. I love them that much.

-m
Don't forget your SP73HO Single Turbo Supra Marcus! I remember you from Supraforums.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Gents -

I really appreciate the opinions! I love to hear from the previous (and current) BMW owners, as well as opinions from other vehicle owners too. I'm a bit of a car-nut myself, but never have dabbled in the AMG line. Sometimes, we get locked into brands. While BMW's have been fanatical for me, I feel as though I owe it to myself to at least experience some others.

I'll be honest, the sheer looks of the SL really moves me. And the beauty is, it's the entire car, not just a front end or a rear end like some other brands (an unfortunate example being the 6 Series BMW). The thought of having a vert with a retractable hardtop really appeals to me as well.

I'll have to do some searching on this forum for some things look for (re: problem areas for the SL55 AMG), but I am curious if the reliability and cost index is near the same of an M series? Granted, I except the fact these are no Toyotas... But there is always a trade off, right?

Thanks again for the input guys. I think I will throw the M5 on the market shortly (pristine '02 Imola Red M5, 54K miles if anyone is interested ).

-John
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 PM

2003 SL55 Silver/Charcoal Pano,K-Go,Bi-Xenon,Phone,AC Seats,
Sorry but the modern SL55 doesn't deserve the name "Sport Leicht". At nearly 2 tons, it weighs about 30% more than an M3. I've got to agree with ingenereAMG. It simply can't compete in terms of handling. My favorite handling car has always been the E36 M3. The ride quality in the Sl55 is much nicer, but I prefer tight, firm handling.

Handling:
E92 M5 < E60 M5 < R230 SL55 < E46 M3 < E36 M3

COMAND sucks bigtime, but then again so does the BMW setup.

The six-speed manual in the BMWs is a nice bonus, but as long as I can get my 6-speed fix in my friend's cars, I don't mind the Sl55's fast-shifting auto.

For me, though, it was the exterior beauty, interior quality and the straight-line acceleration that won me over.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by misterlawyer
Sorry but the modern SL55 doesn't deserve the name "Sport Leicht". At nearly 2 tons, it weighs about 30% more than an M3. I've got to agree with ingenereAMG. It simply can't compete in terms of handling. My favorite handling car has always been the E36 M3. The ride quality in the Sl55 is much nicer, but I prefer tight, firm handling.

Handling:
E92 M5 < E60 M5 < R230 SL55 < E46 M3 < E36 M3

COMAND sucks bigtime, but then again so does the BMW setup.

The six-speed manual in the BMWs is a nice bonus, but as long as I can get my 6-speed fix in my friend's cars, I don't mind the Sl55's fast-shifting auto.

For me, though, it was the exterior beauty, interior quality and the straight-line acceleration that won me over.
agreed. You're asking an SL55 forum about which car is better for you. You should drive it and make your choice as Dino mentioned.

My thoughts: The SL is a heavy and fast brute plain and simple; great acceleration and a fun overall car, a boulevard cruiser and high speed bruiser; it is beautiful from every angle and the retractable hard top is very nice. However the feeling of being connected to the road (.e. driver feedback) is not there; ABC suspension does not translate as well in terms of pitch (for and aft transitions) and roll steer (left & right transitions). My race car is an E36 M3 Lightweight; in addition I've driven many BMWs, MBs, Porsches etc... and many of these cars have better steering and handling charecteristics than the SL; areas of problems: electrical possibly, the ABC suspension is also prone to gremlins and always garners expensive repairs.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell

I'll be honest, the sheer looks of the SL really moves me. And the beauty is, it's the entire car, not just a front end or a rear end like some other brands (an unfortunate example being the 6 Series BMW). The thought of having a vert with a retractable hardtop really appeals to me as well.
Couldn't agree more. The SL looks pretty much perfect from every angle. I like the 6-series as well(in fact, it was my second choice if I didn't buy an SL), but from some angles it's just not that appealing. The retractable hardtop was another major selling point as it's basically like having two cars, a coupe and a convertible. So far, I'm absolutely loving my 55 and not regretting the purchase one bit.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the only thing a bmw-fan is hard to swallow in the amg world is the absolutely dead-feel of the steering and brake pedals.

if you can get over the no on-center feel of the steering and the mushiness of the brakes - you might actually enjoy driving an amg car.

just my pennies

alex
few cars
Old 04-30-2009, 04:11 AM

W211 E55 AMG
Very good, more excellent and unbiased opinions, I respect it and thank you all.

For clarity sake, my intent with my initial questions were not really to compare the two (sorry if it sounded that way), but rather to gain input from BMW owners on a transition. I completely agree that both vehicles have their pro's and con's in different aspects.

Some of you have hit on my concern already, but I ponder if they will really be a concern for me in the future. As you mentioned, I need to go out and spend some quality time in one. I have driven a SL500 and was impressed. I certainly expect the SL55 AMG to be miles above.

I think honestly what points the AMG may lack in sheer (raw to the road) feel, it certainly makes up for it in sex appeal and luster . Without sounding too vain, this appeals to my senses.

Again, I thank you all for your sincerity.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
What attracts me to the SL55 is looks (gorgeous any angle, any time of day/night, top up or down), versatility (convertable and coupe all in one car), and just outright torque on acceleration which has the potential to be brutal, even violent with the right mods

that in a nutshell is it; in my opinion the SL is definately not the ultimate "driving machine" like the bimmer or porsche; but it is the perfect autobahn high speed cruiser and nice top down summer night on the town boulevard cruiser! This said it's great for the drag strip and the occasional roadcourse track day, well that's not out of the question...
Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 AM

come to the darkside capitan
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
I just took in an E90 M3 convertible yesterday...

n my little car business. It's a stick, a cool car with lots of good tech, and fun to drive. It does feel much heavier than I expected, and has a good bit more road noise than I expected. Rides much more firmly than my SL which has been lowered. Yep, she does go, but not anywhere as well as my SL 55. Also, I guess I'm just getting older, but I appreciate the extra room in the SL. I have to say that my limited experience in the M3 tells me that even in red, which is beautiful, it has nowhere near the street cred that the SL does. It probably doesn't matter, but the M3 also doesn't get much better (if any) fuel economy than my SL. If money is no object (but it always is), I'd have an SL and an M5 (or maybe even a 550, just no torque in the M5). The M5 is great on the weekends, turns and steers great, brakes are fabulous, and is much more comfortable than the E46 or E90 M3. It has a super sound too. But I agree with Marcus, the stick is awful in the M5, and the fuel economy is atrocious. Anyway, just a few thoughts FWIW.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 PM

W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 12_03
come to the darkside capitan
Hello Ben. Fancy seeing you here. I'm busted.