SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Getting a new MCT transmission installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Fantasm
Well, my #2. was going to be the bad decision in making an engine without FI, because I absolutely hate not being able to add REAL power to the car.
It really needs to have more power honestly. The top end of the car is weak IMO.

The only reason I picked the SL63 over an FI car, was because of the MCT.
If the MCT doesn't interest you, then pick something else IMO...
Ok. Thanks for your opinion as that was my fear also. The car is absolutely beautiful and sounds great but just a bit weak. The 55 engine would have been perfect with this exterior / interior. Good luck with your transmission problem.

Larry
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLR722,SL63AMG
Well the car came back yesterday and they say it was fixed. They replaced the transmission valve body and reprogrammed the whole thing.
It doesn't stall anymore but it isn't right. When i slow down to a stop,the rev's go up and down between 500 to 1000rpm and they settle with a little shake.
There is also hesitation while taking off from a dead stop and the downshifts are kind of rough slowing down with the revs jumping up a bit.

It looks like it is going back again.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
That was what they first tried with me. It worked for about a week, then the rough shifting came back.

Today, it was fixed again -- apparently the problem was that there was an exhaust leak in the manifold, and the ECU needed to be updated. They told me, that was the cause of the rough shifting (???).
Apparently SL63's either come from the factory not properly torqued down, or they work their way loose after break-in and some miles, and have to be re-tightened.
So I drove it, and it feels fine now -- lets see if its permanent.

Tell them to check your manifold for an exhaust leak I guess.

P.S.
Did you know your SL63 is the only new Mercedes model that doesn't have traffic info in your navigation? Even the C-Class with its lowest end nav, has it in there.
We get stiffed on such a simple thing, plus this transmission issue.

If you have AMG Private Lounge access, please voice your support in getting a NAV Software Upgrade that includes traffic info!

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ead.php?t=4701
Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM

04 SL55 (sold),05 SL55, 09 SL63, 07 C2S cab Porsche,
It's the clutch packs that are the problem.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
96 P993T, 00 E55, 09 SL63
MCT hesitation with small throttle input

I just took delivery of 09 SL63, everything is good except that I notice that going off the line with small throttle input (like in the case of stop and go traffic) the car seem to be hesitating (as if the clutch engagement is indecisive/slipping). Big throttle input seem to eliminate it. However another SL63 that I test drove a day before I took delivery of my car showed none of that, as a matter of fact it was very smooth off the line regardless of throttle input.

Any thoughts guy? Software issue/adaptation, valve body issue, clutch pack etc . . .