SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: MAXTON MILE vs TEXAS MILE Top Speed run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
MAXTON MILE vs TEXAS MILE Top Speed run

Well we finally put the car on the trailer and went to the Maxton Mile (North Carolina).

Let me tell you its not like the Texas mile. I was the only street legal car there. All the cars had parachutes, 5 point harness and 6-12 point roll cages.

The race director would not recognize the OE roll bar and would only allow us 135 mph max speed . The president who I believe owns an sl65 was going to give us 150 (You need a 5 point harness for 175) After 3 hours of discussions, we still were capped at 135. So why did we even go to maxton. Mostly to test some of the mods @ higher speeds that we have been messing around with.

So it was finally my turn, wearing my helmet and firesuit for my mind numbing 135 run. We got up to about 165 but obviously I was not going thru the timers over 135 and hit the brakes, finishing at 130 mph. Had I went thru at 180 (or whatever) I would have been disallowed to come back and I did not want that. We have other cars and bikes that we like to run.

I will post some vids of a 175 mph (unofficial run).

The 160 thermostat that we have been modifying worked well but not perfect (recall v12 tt t-stats are almost impossible to modify unlike the V8s. As I undertand it, all t-stats modified on this board for v12tt have not worked properly).

Freon based intercooler cooling system worked well but had some flaws (Cant say more about this until fully tested). It was like adding ice bags on the intercoolers for an hour then launching.

Texas mile here I come....(900hp and 200 mph...maybe !!??)

I realize you may be wondering what will be done to the car above and beyond the vrp825 kit to get it to 900 (possibly more) and I will be glad to share once we actually do it.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
Well we finally put the car on the trailer and went to the Maxton Mile (North Carolina).

Let me tell you its not like the Texas mile. I was the only street legal car there. All the cars had parachutes, 5 point harness and 6-12 point roll cages.

The race director would not recognize the OE roll bar and would only allow us 135 mph max speed . The president who I believe owns an sl65 was going to give us 150 (You need a 5 point harness for 175) After 3 hours of discussions, we still were capped at 135. So why did we even go to maxton. Mostly to test some of the mods @ higher speeds that we have been messing around with.

So it was finally my turn, wearing my helmet and firesuit for my mind numbing 135 run. We got up to about 165 but obviously I was not going thru the timers over 135 and hit the brakes, finishing at 130 mph. Had I went thru at 180 (or whatever) I would have been disallowed to come back and I did not want that. We have other cars and bikes that we like to run.

The 160 thermostat that we have been modifying worked well but not perfect (recall v12 tt t-stats are almost impossible to modify unlike the V8s. As I undertand it, all t-stats modified on this board for v12tt have not worked properly).

Freon based intercooler cooling system worked well but had some flaws (Cant say more about this until fully tested). It was like adding ice bags on the intercoolers for an hour then launching.

I realize you may be wondering what will be done to the car above and beyond the vrp825 kit to get it to 900 (possibly more) and I will be glad to share once we actually do it.

If they are going to limit you to 135mph...why not just "F' it...kick me off...I am not coming back here anyway"?

Tom
Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
Had I went thru at 180 (or whatever) I would have been disallowed to come back and I did not want that. We have other cars and bikes that we like to run.
I think this is why ^^^^^
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Had I went thru at 180 (or whatever) I would have been disallowed to come back and I did not want that. We have other cars and bikes that we like to run.
Originally Posted by TMC M5
If they are going to limit you to 135mph...why not just "F' it...kick me off...I am not coming back here anyway"?

Tom
I believe that is why...he was not finished for the day.

Edit: Bob beat me to it!

Last edited by Timeless; 05-21-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: someone beat me to it!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
I asure you the thought was there. I would have loved to blow thru that finish line at 180 (I think) BUT, every one was expecting us to do that and I honestly felt it would be just too cheezy to roll like that. Just my 2c. By the way...10 years ago I would have said..hell with it, and just nailed it.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I asure you the thought was there. I would have loved to blow thru that finish line at 180 (I think) BUT, every one was expecting us to do that and I honestly felt it would be just too cheezy to roll like that. Just my 2c. By the way...10 years ago I would have said..hell with it, and just nailed it.
I hear ya...I was just kidding....although that devil on my shoulder sometimes gets me in trouble.

There is another 1.5 mile event up in Loring, Maine at an old Air Force base (it used to house strategic nuclear bombers at the ready to fly over the Artic towards the USSR...pretty cool). August 1 and 2nd. They use the same ECTA rule book that Maxton uses. From what I have read in the rule book, you can petition them a month in advance to avoid the roll bar rules on fixed roof vehicles. However,they were pretty adamant about convertibles needing roll bars.

Tom
Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanx for the info Tom. Some one else also mentioned that. I think Texas will be far enough for me for now (Oct. event).
Old 05-14-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec

Wow, thanks for posting!

Yeah, we had to "qualify" at between 140 and 160 I think, I was off the gas by the half mile just coasting and ended-up about 153 wondering with excitement about my next run where I would finally qualify up to 199! Still amazing to me that a daily driver can be so docile and then wreak hell when needed and not wake up the neighborhood unless you want it to. Jekyll and Hyde.

Good luck with your future runs. I am off to run Taladega and Barber this weekend!
The following users liked this post:
john olsen (05-14-2018)