SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Top Speed Texas Mile Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600; ford gt
Top Speed Texas Mile Question

I am considering taking my 2006 Kleeman SL65 to the Texas mile and was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to the danger inherent in using the stock tires for the run.

I believe Kleeman removed the limiter (I didn't ask them to but I think they do so automatically with tune).

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by texass600
I am considering taking my 2006 Kleeman SL65 to the Texas mile and was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to the danger inherent in using the stock tires for the run.

I believe Kleeman removed the limiter (I didn't ask them to but I think they do so automatically with tune).

I would do a good inspection of the tires to make sure they are in good condition for the high speeds runs.

I would also call Kleemann to see what they set the limiter to...I wouldn't assume that they completely delimited the car...they may take it to 186mph if you didn't specify a delimited top speed.

Tom
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
They fix the limiters @ 186, for safety ; you should be just under that in 1 mile i would imagine anyway? maybe 182, 183? ; I hit roughly 168-171 in a mile.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM

04 SL55 AMG
Verify your tires speed rating too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The rating that you need is more for the weight of the car, as I am sure that you have 'Z' or 'Y' rated tires. The Z/Y is the speed rating. The weight rating is listed in parentheses, with a number. I believe I have 98Y in the front and 100Y in the rear.

In theory this stuff is important, but in practice it is probably less so, as the actual time you will be over 180, 190+ is actually pretty short, so there really won't be enough heat generated to actually affect anything.

Every time I have done over 200 in the SL, I kept the tire pressures on the display and noted that the tires never gained more than a pound in pressure. Additionally, I doubt that I was at that speed for more than 10 seconds at a time.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM

s600; ford gt
Thanks Much
Old 06-20-2009, 06:35 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
Originally Posted by texass600

In a previous career I worked for Goodyear’s racing division. I tell u this so u know the source of the advice you’re getting.

I am going to the Texas mile ( and have done a few other topspeed events such as the Maxton Mile) and knowing what I know about speed ratings I wanted to make sure of the same thing u asked about.

First of all the odds of a high speed blow-out at the Texas mile is very low but never the less it exists. Watching your PSI on the monitor does not tell you how hot the tire side wall is. Most high speed tires fail around the edge where the tread meets the sidewall because thats the point that has the highset temps.

You probably have a "Y" speed rating on your tires, which is good for up to 186 mph. Almost all tuners do not allow a full delimit and restrict top speed to 186. To break 186 in a standing mile with your car (4500+ pounds), you need about 700-750 hp, which I am sure you don’t have.

Back to the "Y" speed rating; There are two types of "Y" speed rating; one with brackets and one with out. 95% of all Y's are NOT bracketed. When a tire has a bracketed "(Y)", it means that the tire has been tested OVER 186mph. You have to contact the tire manufacturer (NOT the tire dealer) to get the max speed the tire was tested to.

Because we are building a car that certainly will go over 200 in the mile, we contacted Michelin in France via email and after a month of going back and forth, finally got the right engineers to answer our questions. We found out that the PS2's are tested to 211 mph. This info is not published.

Additionally YOU must increase your tire pressure by 7.5 psi above what’s listed on your door placard AND you must reduce the weight capacity of the tire by 15%. You will need to be familiar with how to use the tire load index.

Run as little Camber as possible because negative camber tends to stress the tire edge which is the point as I told u that fails most often. Also camber OR toe increase rolling resistance which at high speeds can decrease your speed by 3-7 mph, depending on how much angle your running.

OR...you can just assume that you will probably be part of the 99% that never have a tire issue. I personally prefer to do everything I can to minimize the possibility.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
In a previous career I worked for Goodyear’s racing division. I tell u this so u know the source of the advice you’re getting.

I am going to the Texas mile ( and have done a few other topspeed events such as the Maxton Mile) and knowing what I know about speed ratings I wanted to make sure of the same thing u asked about.

First of all the odds of a high speed blow-out at the Texas mile is very low but never the less it exists. Watching your PSI on the monitor does not tell you how hot the tire side wall is. Most high speed tires fail around the edge where the tread meets the sidewall because thats the point that has the highset temps.

You probably have a "Y" speed rating on your tires, which is good for up to 186 mph. Almost all tuners do not allow a full delimit and restrict top speed to 186. To break 186 in a standing mile with your car (4500+ pounds), you need about 700-750 hp, which I am sure you don’t have.

Back to the "Y" speed rating; There are two types of "Y" speed rating; one with brackets and one with out. 95% of all Y's are NOT bracketed. When a tire has a bracketed "(Y)", it means that the tire has been tested OVER 186mph. You have to contact the tire manufacturer (NOT the tire dealer) to get the max speed the tire was tested to.

Because we are building a car that certainly will go over 200 in the mile, we contacted Michelin in France via email and after a month of going back and forth, finally got the right engineers to answer our questions. We found out that the PS2's are tested to 211 mph. This info is not published.

Additionally YOU must increase your tire pressure by 7.5 psi above what’s listed on your door placard AND you must reduce the weight capacity of the tire by 15%. You will need to be familiar with how to use the tire load index.

Run as little Camber as possible because negative camber tends to stress the tire edge which is the point as I told u that fails most often. Also camber OR toe increase rolling resistance which at high speeds can decrease your speed by 3-7 mph, depending on how much angle your running.

OR...you can just assume that you will probably be part of the 99% that never have a tire issue. I personally prefer to do everything I can to minimize the possibility.
I can only imagine how you would prepare for a ride on the autobahn.