SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Long Tube headers in the works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 55 AMG, BMW M Roadster, Holden Commodore SSV
Originally Posted by BLKSL55AMG
Great! I have a set to install on my SL55 also.
So, you left the two cats located close the the drive shaft tunnel? And, the two resonators in the bend?

I'd love to remove both sets of cats, but concerned the removal may cause the dreaded Cat/Sulfur smell and possibly drone?

I would do a custom 3" stainless midsection with X pipe, if I could be guaranteed no smell or drone?

I have seen the videos of Brian Fishers (fisherfast on YouTube)latest exhaust configuration and see he is using the Kooks high flow cats, no resonators and Corsa Muffers?

I may tie into the factory exhaust like you did, then experiment with a custom X pipe midsection with not cats and resonators. If, I get smell add Kooks Cats. If it drones after Cats are added, use bullet style resonators. All using the factory AMG muffers?

Thoughts? Thanks.
BLKS55,

I am using factory piping, resonators (ie secondary cats) and mufflers today with no drone or smell. As far as Kooks go, I have them on an SS with and LS3 motor and they are great.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
BLKSL55AMG (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ajai Thomas
@smithwn55 how do you like the performance gain from the pulley and the tune? What tuning company did you go with? did the pulley and tune pass the "butt dyno" test?
I am expecting delivery of my red anodized UPD 77mm SC pulley today and I'm considering tunes. UPD recommended some tunes so may just go with them (their tune provider that they've been working with for over 12 years). I also ordered a PLM XL heat exchanger but i'm only expecting delivery of that first week of May. Maybe the split cooling and Needswings intake will arrive before then so i plan on installing the intake and the cooling side first.
Ajai

I don't think I've fully realized the performance gains yet as there appears to be excessive heat build up on IAT's at higher RPM's. My car is currently at the performance shop for the issue to be addressed. But for sure, when I punch it today it's a whole different experience, something like a "hang on " moment. Once the heat issue is addressed I'm back for more dyno pulls to measure overall gains.

I used RACEIQ for the ECU tune. Anthony is the technical contact.

Hope that helps.

Bill
Old 04-21-2021, 09:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
@BLKSL55AMG - for now, i like the sound of the stock mufflers. Eventually, i will look for the Corsa muffler to replace the stock. Also looking for an X pipe and i'm ordering the MBH long tubes from Mike.
The following users liked this post:
BLKSL55AMG (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:43 AM

2006 SL55 AMG
@smithwn55 - Thanks for the feedback. Yes, RaceIQ who UPD is suggesting. I've spoken to Anthony as well and he is very helpful. My personal opinion is that it's this customer service and education before I've even bought the product that is invaluable to me. If tuning is or had become a commoditized product, then it's the customer service and trouble-shooting when needed that will set companies apart. I've found a dyno by my house and from what I've read, I would anticipate about 70hp and similar torque to the rear wheels with just the pulley and tune. I've been reading and understand the cooling issue. Hopefully, with the XL heat exchanger and split cooling, this will take care of some IAT issues, but, my expectation is that i will have some cooling issues so i'm not sticking my head in the sand.

Did you have to upgrade your injector to 550cc when headers were installed or prior?
Old 04-21-2021, 10:24 AM

@smithwn55 - Thanks for the feedback. Yes, RaceIQ who UPD is suggesting. I've spoken to Anthony as well and he is very helpful. My personal opinion is that it's this customer service and education before I've even bought the product that is invaluable to me. If tuning is or had become a commoditized product, then it's the customer service and trouble-shooting when needed that will set companies apart. I've found a dyno by my house and from what I've read, I would anticipate about 70hp and similar torque to the rear wheels with just the pulley and tune. I've been reading and understand the cooling issue. Hopefully, with the XL heat exchanger and split cooling, this will take care of some IAT issues, but, my expectation is that i will have some cooling issues so i'm not sticking my head in the sand.

Did you have to upgrade your injector to 550cc when headers were installed or prior?
No injector upgrades were necessary or made.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL55

I would suggest going to the 550cc injectors with both the 77 SCP and LTH .atleast that's what Tony at RaceIQ suggested since I plan to do bigger TB also.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
I would suggest going to the 550cc injectors with both the 77 SCP and LTH .atleast that's what Tony at RaceIQ suggested since I plan to do bigger TB also.
@BLKSL55AMG - yeah, that's what Tony suggested to me when installing the long tube headers. Apparently, with the long tubes, the injectors start running out of capacity. here is some guidance I was given by a third party:

"Bigger injectors are not needed for power levels up to about 650. When the ECU is mapped appropriately, we don’t need such an excessive amount of fuel. Fuel injectors are typically tested at 30-40 PSI on the bench to determine flow rate. The SL55 runs a static fuel pressure of 80 PSI, so those 650cc injectors that were flow tested somewhere around 30 or 40 PSI, are now suddenly flowing substantially more in a 113K due to the high static fuel pressure. The stock injectors flow something like 490 or 500 cc/min at 60 PSI (I don’t recall exactly), so the flow rate at 80 PSI is pretty close to 650cc/min. Forget the injectors- you don’t need them if your software is good. Further, you have to use pigtails on the wiring harness because the connectors don’t match, and I don’t know if those injectors have the correct impedance or spray pattern- both of those things matter.

Throttle body- ONLY worth doing if the inlet housing of the supercharger is also replaced with one that matches the bore of the throttle body (this require removing the supercharger to install it) Then there’s the problem of connecting the factory Y-Pipe to the bigger throttle body"

Old 04-22-2021, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL55
@BLKSL55AMG - yeah, that's what Tony suggested to me when installing the long tube headers. Apparently, with the long tubes, the injectors start running out of capacity. here is some guidance I was given by a third party:

"Bigger injectors are not needed for power levels up to about 650. When the ECU is mapped appropriately, we don’t need such an excessive amount of fuel. Fuel injectors are typically tested at 30-40 PSI on the bench to determine flow rate. The SL55 runs a static fuel pressure of 80 PSI, so those 650cc injectors that were flow tested somewhere around 30 or 40 PSI, are now suddenly flowing substantially more in a 113K due to the high static fuel pressure. The stock injectors flow something like 490 or 500 cc/min at 60 PSI (I don’t recall exactly), so the flow rate at 80 PSI is pretty close to 650cc/min. Forget the injectors- you don’t need them if your software is good. Further, you have to use pigtails on the wiring harness because the connectors don’t match, and I don’t know if those injectors have the correct impedance or spray pattern- both of those things matter.

Throttle body- ONLY worth doing if the inlet housing of the supercharger is also replaced with one that matches the bore of the throttle body (this require removing the supercharger to install it) Then there’s the problem of connecting the factory Y-Pipe to the bigger throttle body"
Ha. Sounds like your third party is someone from EC.......

Old 04-22-2021, 06:37 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
Ha. Sounds like your third party is someone from EC.......
I can confirm that it's not anyone from EC. I would describe them as a very reputable German car tuner and aftermarket supplier.