SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL600-Dynos DynoJet (Read, you speed freaks!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
SL600-Dynos DynoJet (Read, you speed freaks!)

Originally Posted by Akademiks
Whew, exhausting day today! L.A. traffic kills and so does Cali heat! That said, it was a fun day! Met up with member "theRicker" (whose a stand-up guy, might I add! Definitely a cool dude) for some friendly comparison runs. As those who've been keeping up with the news around here, now my SL600s been getting it's *** kicked left and right and we decided to see if indeed there is something wrong with my car by lining up.

And the results, yes. Very much so in fact, every run we did he pulled multiple car lengths, averaging bus-lengths on the freeway. Embarrassingly enough, after one run, he even asked me if I left off-- NO, you jackass I've already taken my car to the shop and they've found the problems (IC Pump, collapsed transmission mounts) and I am in the process of fixing them. Today's result solidify what I've already known-- my car needs (warranty) work!

Anyways, all that out the way we managed to strap his car to a DynoJet at HK Motorsports in Oxnard; which I hear is rumored to be quite a conservative dyno. His SL600 was strapped down and had 3 ridiculous runs:

And here's a video.

First run, his car mustered a whopping 480WHP! We thought that was amazing, so after a classroom session (LOL!) we went back for round two. I was expecting the WHP to drop due to the extreme heat in that shop (last I recall, it was near 90 degrees!) but no... his second run ran an even more impressive 490WHP. And his last run... well... he ran his best, a breathe-taking 501WHP!

I do not have the DynoJet charts, but Sean (TheRicker) will post them as soon as he chimes in here.

For comparison, there was a E63 with headers over there that ran something like 405-410WHP. Also a C63 in the mid-300s, Sean correct me if I'm wrong.

All said and done, I was impressed and can't wait to get my 600 fixed to join the party!

And Sean, here's just a pic of your car from the freeway runs:

And another (1)video.

Last edited by Thericker; 07-23-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Thericker
Met-up w/Akademiks (Harry) kewl kat! Thank you for the vidz & good company...Dyno @ HK Motorsports Dynojet in LA, off Oxnard st, not in Oxnard Ca.

1/2 tank 91 ****-octane mixed w/latest Torco octane booster = about 94-95 Octane. Got their an hour early popped hood iced-down both IC's then strapped her down (Only had about 15 miles on Octane booster so I think she adapted as we dyno'd, about 15-20 min bet pulls) 95+ degrees in shop

1st pull 487.21 RWHP
2nd pull 489.05 RWHP

3rd pull 501.72 RWHP

Thank you for the informative Dyno session Harry (Owners name is also Harry)

(No RWTO readings were taken) All runs were done in 4th gear.

They also had previously dyno'd (In the past, & showed both Harry & I their charts) (3) C63's (1) CLK63 BS (1) E63 w/Longtubes, the stock C63's made 360 RWHP the CLK63 BS made 400 RWHP & the E63 w/Longtubes 415-420... So as you can see this Dynojet is conservative...

Before you guys cry foul, I had her dyno'd 3 weeks ago on Superflow Dyno @ Bottle Blown Racing (from experts here & research I've done Superflow compares nearly exactly to Mustang or properly set Dynodynamics "Heart Breaker" (SL had same fuel mixture) Completely Heat Soaked 45min in traffic then ran @ 100mph for about 5 min to make appt, ZERO cool down or iced went directly on Superflow. She made consistant 444 RWHP on multi pulls @ that time.

Very nice meeting you finally, good times bud
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Hi, do you think you would get more with bigger or more fans.
A turbo car needs loads of cooling and air.
Just my two pennies worth.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Cars
Very cool Sean. These V12s can be tricky when it's down on power, hopefully Harry will sort his car out. The good thing is, if it does get sorted out, the grin on your face from the new found HP should be hard to erase

-m