SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Cupped front tires on SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Cupped front tires on SL55

I’m running Toyo Proxes T1Rs on my SL55. I find them to provide more grip than PS2s, but the rear tires do wear out quickly, especially given the fact that there is burnt rubber throughout the Indy metro area and they have been through 3 track days. The front tires seem to wear at about half the rate so I just put a new set of rear tires on the car about a month ago. The front tires still have lots of tread, but are cupping badly. The tire guy says it is because of the soft compound and the camber on the car which is within MB spec. So is this just a common problem with soft compound high performance summer tires on SLs or did I uncover a weakness in the T1R?

My dilemma is to put new T1Rs on the front now, put a different tire on the front now (PS2, P-zero, Potenza, etc) or live with the front tires until next season and then change out all four tires. By the way, I only drive the SL six or seven months a year.

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by cal1
I’m running Toyo Proxes T1Rs on my SL55. I find them to provide more grip than PS2s, but the rear tires do wear out quickly, especially given the fact that there is burnt rubber throughout the Indy metro area and they have been through 3 track days. The front tires seem to wear at about half the rate so I just put a new set of rear tires on the car about a month ago. The front tires still have lots of tread, but are cupping badly. The tire guy says it is because of the soft compound and the camber on the car which is within MB spec. So is this just a common problem with soft compound high performance summer tires on SLs or did I uncover a weakness in the T1R?

My dilemma is to put new T1Rs on the front now, put a different tire on the front now (PS2, P-zero, Potenza, etc) or live with the front tires until next season and then change out all four tires. By the way, I only drive the SL six or seven months a year.

Thanks a bunch for any input.
Tire cupping is usually indicative of some other part that has worn out. Generally, ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks, bushings are all the usual suspects. Good luck...
Old 07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Tire cupping is usually indicative of some other part that has worn out. Generally, ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks, bushings are all the usual suspects. Good luck...
I should have mentioned that according to my local MB dealer, all suspension and steering parts are in good shape. i just replaced ball joints about 10,000 miles ago.