SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Mercedes Quality (or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2009 | 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Fingers crossed lol
I know.... to think that way isn't it? We bought 2 2005 AMGs (1 w/420 miles and the other w/30k miles) in the last 45 days and my hope was/is the quality issues from Chrysler were mostly in the past about 2005? In any case, we bought 5 year warranties on both..... No real issues in the history of the car w/ 30k mi and who knows on the one w/420 miles?
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
That's an insane amount of mileage on that E320. I'm fairly certain the 600 would never make it past 100 lol I do agree it's all about perception, but I'm talking about three different cars here, how many more do I have to buy before I get one that works? It's not like I formed my opinion after owning just one Mercedes, and it seems a lot of people have adopted this "well, they are common problems," excuse, like the owners should somehow become lenient because it's "common".
Akademics man, the part bold is what I don't like, don't agree with and don't accept when people say that. It's like accepting bad customer service from a place you eat at, and other patrons tell you, "hey it's normal, accept it as it is."

You have very valid points. I wouldn't write off Mercedes just yet though, some lemons occur with all automakers, it sucks for those that get them. Trust that Audi, VW, Porsche, GM, Jag, Ford, list goes on have some winners and some POS's. I get your point that MB should have a lesser percentage of those POS's for the premium paid.
Old 09-12-2009 | 02:50 PM

CLS55 AMG w/PP030
Does the A4 have air suspension, does it have dynamic seats, its pretty unfair to compare a car with cutting edge stuff and one which is pretty basic.

Why dont we start comparing a Corolla to your SL. You have to keep in mind that most companies end up using what Mercedes incorporated a few years after, when all preliminary issues had been solved in the first few years. Secondly Mercedes has a 12,000 + (AMG 10,000 +) maintainence interval. Most others have less.

I have owner 5 Mercedes in the past 6 years, 3 being AMGs, currently on an CLS55. Have had the CLS for 11 months now. Not a single issue.

I hope u have gone through the recent JD Power initial quality rating where Mercedes is in the top 4 where as Audi & BMW are someplace in the bottom.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/j...quality-study/

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009108

Like others mentioned, preowned is a gamble, dont blame the car if it brakes down because of some ones neglect.

Also wanted to pass my good byes to you for leaving the Mercedes camp. Enjoy the Murcielago which is quite a reliable machne, the cluth goes out every 3000 miles, the oil chnages needs the engine to be dropped. What amazing engineering when it works!

Last edited by MAN1; 09-12-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I went thru utter hell w/my old S430 after warranty ran out I kept her an additional 2 yrs, $1,000'ands down the friggin drain from Airmatic twice to A/C heating, windows not working etc, then jumped ship to C6 Vette, litterally only time @ dealership was oil changes & a failed Xenon lamp ALL replaced under warranty (also modded the hell-outta it) though the ride/interior were severely lacking...

I love MB's vowed never to own 1 again w/out full 100k mile warranty, sure she's had few trips to dealership but ALL covered, failing IC pump, new engine mounts/tranny mounts, new Nav (original created power draw) perf/long drives are perfect, never stalled always starts etc..

W/full warranty I have NO qualms, & enjoy the SL600 thoroughly...I beat the living **** outta her on a daily basis, she likes it ruff

Good luck on future rides buddy!

Last edited by Thericker; 09-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
The other day, I was talking with the owner of the local MB dealership about the new E class. He said the E was extensively tested and issues solved prior to taking it to production and is expected to have few problems like the old days. It seemed almost an admission that MB quality hasn’t been were it should be lately.
Old 09-12-2009 | 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by cal1
The other day, I was talking with the owner of the local MB dealership about the new E class. He said the E was extensively tested and issues solved prior to taking it to production and is expected to have few problems like the old days. It seemed almost an admission that MB quality hasn’t been were it should be lately.
Sure is, matter of fact several SM, SA, and owners have admitted several problems with different models through that 99-03 period. Some even admitted they were getting killed with more warranty work rather servicing cars out of warranty for a while.

Also, you notice how MB put out many different commercials, especially around the C class about the "return to reliability", "quality control improvements" and "a Mercedes Benz demands excellence", etc. along those lines?

There was a reason why.

Oh for everyone's entertainment: Not in this weather.
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:45 PM

I wonder where JD Power gets its info from? Do they contact the owners of these respective vehicles or...?
Old 09-13-2009 | 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
My '03 SL55 has been brilliant. In 6+ years, other than regular service, I have had to replace an AC compressor, an IC pump and the TPMS'.

The car has never let me down. I have had more software programs in it than I can count, been over 200 mph and abused everything from Lambo's and Ferrari's and Porsche's to sport bikes with it on straight stretches and mountain roads. I guess when you get a good one.... it is very good.
Old 09-13-2009 | 03:30 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by MAN1
Does the A4 have air suspension, does it have dynamic seats, its pretty unfair to compare a car with cutting edge stuff and one which is pretty basic.

Why dont we start comparing a Corolla to your SL. You have to keep in mind that most companies end up using what Mercedes incorporated a few years after, when all preliminary issues had been solved in the first few years. Secondly Mercedes has a 12,000 + (AMG 10,000 +) maintainence interval. Most others have less.

I have owner 5 Mercedes in the past 6 years, 3 being AMGs, currently on an CLS55. Have had the CLS for 11 months now. Not a single issue.

I hope u have gone through the recent JD Power initial quality rating where Mercedes is in the top 4 where as Audi & BMW are someplace in the bottom.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/04/j...quality-study/

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2009108

Like others mentioned, preowned is a gamble, dont blame the car if it brakes down because of some ones neglect.

Also wanted to pass my good byes to you for leaving the Mercedes camp. Enjoy the Murcielago which is quite a reliable machne, the cluth goes out every 3000 miles, the oil chnages needs the engine to be dropped. What amazing engineering when it works!
Like I give a damn what any "list" says. I'm not judging by magazines or awards, I'm judging by first hand experience. So with all due respect, you can take your "JD Power" results and jerk it till your hands sore.

The A4, actually, was fully loaded. Heated/cooled seats, sunroof, navi, mp3 (which the SL doesn't have)-- oh, and it started with the twist of a key. Yeah, pretty basic.

And lastly, I haven't left any camp. If you cared to read the entire thread, I said I'm keeping the SL600 and not selling it, even when I get a new car. And as for the Lamborghini, all those are common issues-- I'll pull a Mercedes and turn a blind eye, because hey-- cutting edge, right?
Old 09-13-2009 | 08:52 AM

GS300
I'm glade I can see this thread on this forum. I've been a member here for sometime and rarely I read honest opinions about MB issues.
My dad drove MB for over 20 years and he always says that they love maintenance. But once he tried Japanese, he never drove MB again.

My first car was VW and I traded it with a honda accord. The drive of the VW was much better, but the accord needed almost no maintanence. Its a work horse. Keeps going and doesn't break down and lets you know something is wrong long before it breaks. It was a good car to drive in my early years.

Then I tried the MB... and that was horror for me. I spent thousands of $$ on that car. Almost what everyone here had mentioned. I'll drive it for a month and then spend $1000-2000 the next.

Now I have a Lexus and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I still love MB. The drive quality and power is not comparable at all. But unless you have the cash and can buy a new MB or one under warranty, forget about it... You'll be sorry.
Old 09-13-2009 | 12:26 PM

CLS55 AMG w/PP030
Like I give a damn what any "list" says. I'm not judging by magazines or awards, I'm judging by first hand experience. So with all due respect, you can take your "JD Power" results and jerk it till your hands sore.

The A4, actually, was fully loaded. Heated/cooled seats, sunroof, navi, mp3 (which the SL doesn't have)-- oh, and it started with the twist of a key. Yeah, pretty basic.

And lastly, I haven't left any camp. If you cared to read the entire thread, I said I'm keeping the SL600 and not selling it, even when I get a new car. And as for the Lamborghini, all those are common issues-- I'll pull a Mercedes and turn a blind eye, because hey-- cutting edge, right?
Hahahah, i'll jerk off on the A4 then. Im still not buying your story about a fully loaded A4 being electronically/mechanically on par with a SL. Those things u mentioned are even in a Corolla now. There are so many active/passive systems in a SL today which the A4 might finally get this this current or next generation. Even if the SL was a turn key, its still laser based electonic ignition and from what i rememeber MB was the first to some out with it in 97-98.

Im not too big on reports either, i though you might be and just put it up there.

The one thing i dont like about these threads i the fact that you point out all the negatives about your machine but what about all the positives. When the same machine put a grin on your face. That should be put forward too. A lot of people tread these forums to make decisions to what they buy. I think that is something i atleast owe to the brand!
Old 09-14-2009 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I think the late cars have been improved.
However I spent 8K on my SL55 the first year the warranty ran out.
I bought a S600, after 2 months I had to have the gearbox replaced, since
then all new ABC plus lines , brakes SBC pump you name it and I bought it
privately without warranty.
I have a new SL63, so at least I won't shell out for at least 3 years!
The price you pay for all them gizmo's! I guess
Old 09-14-2009 | 04:01 PM

SL55
I have a 2005 sl55 and my license plate erro light comes on all the time. I know this is due to a bad battery, though.
The battery can cause all kinds of electrical demons. I head a left headlight out until I bought a trickle charger for my battery. Then the next morning it mysteriously started working again. I had even ordered a new xenon bulb.
I have yet to replace my battery, but I know that once I do some of the issues will go away.
I am not saying this is the problems you are having, but it is something to be aware of.
Old 09-15-2009 | 04:58 PM

'05 C55
I am now on my 7th AMG car in the past 5 years. I love these cars! I'll get bored with one, even modded, try a different manufacturer and miss my AMG so much, I have to get another one. Is there a MB Anonymous program as I probably need to join?!

Regardless, I have had very few issues with any of my AMG cars, some which were purchased new and others used. My local MB dealer has fortunately been great to deal with. I would not, however, ever want to be caught in one these cars without a good warranty. Even buying used there are some great warranty programs out there that are not overly expensive ($3K).

I've have had a nice Lexus, a BMW M car, '08 Viper and a ton of Corvettes, etc. but I always return to AMG. The Lexus was in no way a drivers car and I did really like my E46 M3 but neither of those has the MB feel to that keeps me coming back.

I've accepted the fact there will be some issues but the ones the OP mentioned are extreme and would make me reconsider as well.

For the curious, here are the MB's I've owned:

'04 E55 - modded to 457 rwhp
'07 E63 - Powerchip tuned - EPIC Failure for a tune...
'08 C63 - Kleemann tuned and a lot if fun - 435 rwhp
3 (yes three) C55's - quick, a lot of fun & inexpensive
currently '05 CL65 - total animal

Last edited by E63PWR; 09-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2009 | 11:58 PM

SL63
i purchased a new '04 sl55 which had an abc suspension problem that was not repairable. the car was taken to service 7 times and mb finally took the car back (as part of a settlement under a lemon law suit) and replaced it with an sl63. the sl63 has been perfect (so far i have 3K miles on it). i LOVE the tranny, and have had no issues with the clutch, as some have reported. i drive the car exclusively in the manual mode.

these vehicles are over engineered and seem to be prone to service issues. purchasing the car new may save service related bills, but the price you pay is in depreciation. i would only get a used one if it had an extended warranty.