SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: What a stupid idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
What a stupid idea

Tell me the purpose of a gearbox learning the way you drive!
Most modern autos have it. I am driving not the gearbox!!
On Saturday I had to do a 200 mile journey 100 there and 100 home, with 3
passengers, so I took my S600. Not wishing to scare them I drove the first
20 minutes sedately. I was now stuck behind a van and I knew if I didn't overtake him I would be stuck for a while on this twisty A road. Not a freeway
or a motorway, just 2 lanes ,you and on coming traffic.
I waited for a a short straight pulled out and floored it, NOTHING!!!
With some quick thinking I knocked the gear lever several times and just got by before a bend and on coming traffic.
This was downright dangerous, and if I could switch it off I would, I cannot see it's purpose, apart from causing accidents!!
On the way back I drove far more swiftly as I left a nervous passenger behind,and by the time I got home it was purring and reacting well, but I can't drive like that all the time, the roads wont allow it, and you would probably loose your license.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
I could not agree more. There should be a way of deactivating this "feature". Those of us who have no choice but to putter along in the city a good bit of the time are teaching the transmission the wrong habits.

I would love to know what the well-documented "ECU reset" or "TCU reset" actually does. I have asked both Mercedes and Renntech and neither had an answer. If it really does reset the transmission's adaptations, then it is an easy DIY fix. If anyone knows for sure, please enlighten me.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...set-works.html
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by JackStraw
I could not agree more. There should be a way of deactivating this "feature". Those of us who have no choice but to putter along in the city a good bit of the time are teaching the transmission the wrong habits.

I would love to know what the well-documented "ECU reset" or "TCU reset" actually does. I have asked both Mercedes and Renntech and neither had an answer. If it really does reset the transmission's adaptations, then it is an easy DIY fix. If anyone knows for sure, please enlighten me.

The ECU reset just brings things back to baseline settings, from which 'new' learning can take place.

I have pretty much always driven my SL55 in manual, and as a result shifting is much quicker than cars that are driven in 'auto'.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by JackStraw

Thanks for that, I had lost how to reset it. Unfortunately the S600 is a limo
and I tend to impress people by it's ride ,quietness and smooth driving, at
the same time teaching the g/box bad habits.
I wish I could permanently disconnect it, if any body knows how to, it's worth
MONEY!