SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: IAT's at idle DAMN YOU!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
IAT's at idle DAMN YOU!!!!

Once my car is warmed up. If I just sit at idle. No A/C. The IAT's settle around 136 degrees. In S Florida 85 degree heat.

I have to drive the car to get IAT's to manageable levels.

My pump is a brand new OEM one. The IAT's are fine when the car is moving.

This is killing me at the track.

If the car has been off for 20 min or so when I start it the IAT's are obviously very high. They don't drop lower than 140 or so unless I drive the car.

My best times at the track have been right as I arrive. If I let the car sit I will loose 2-3 mph.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FLSL55
Once my car is warmed up. If I just sit at idle. No A/C. The IAT's settle around 136 degrees. In S Florida 85 degree heat.

If the car has been off for 20 min or so when I start it the IAT's are obviously very high. They don't drop lower than 140 or so unless I drive the car.

My best times at the track have been right as I arrive. If I let the car sit I will loose 2-3 mph.
I HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROBLEM! IF I DONT LET IT IS I LOSE 4 OR 5 MPH. I NEED TO SIT IT FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF EASY
Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 PM

SL65
Fear,

Buying the scanner so I could see my IAT's was the ticket.

Maybe break torquing the car a bit will get the IC pump to kick in at idle. I will try that tomorrow.

Someone said you can do a fan mod and an IC mod where the pump/fan will run all the time. I don't want to do those mod's though. They may be the only way to get the IAT's down at idle though.

Running the A/C on my car also shoots the IAT's up like crazy.

The only time it hurts me is at the track. In the real world I don't sit at idle long enough for the IAT's to get out of control.

Last edited by FLSL55; 10-28-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Fear,

Buying the scanner so I could see my IAT's was the ticket.

Maybe break torquing the car a bit will get the IC pump to kick in at idle. I will try that tomorrow.

Someone said you can do a fan mod and an IC mod where the pump/fan will run all the time. I don't want to do those mod's though. They may be the only way to get the IAT's down at idle though.

Running the A/C on my car also shoots the IAT's up like crazy.

The only time it hurts me is at the track. In the real world I don't sit at idle long enough for the IAT's to get out of control.
GOIN TO THE TRACK FRIDAY?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG

i get this too in my car.

when the car is sitting in the staging lanes, no cool air (or in our case, hot air) passed across the heat exchanger. an increase in air volume across the heat exchanger is the reason why, as you pointed out, the IATs drop when you are driving back to the staging lanes (i, again, get my best results as well when slowly driving back to cool it down).

IATs go up when the car is off b/c the intercooler system isn't actively cooling and all the heat of the engine is being released without being countered by the intercooler system.

fan comes on at certain engine coolant temps along with the i/c pump. YES, you CAN run the i/c pump all the time and the fan on all the time. Hooleyboy ran the pump all the time....but as he was sitting in the staging lanes, his battery died from running it with his car off to keep the temps down. also, this will dramatically decrease the lifespan of the stock Bosch (and piece of crap) i/c pump and fan life as well.

best bet is to upgrade the heat exchanger if you havent and split the coolant system into two separate circuits.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 AM

SL65
Originally Posted by GFEAR
GOIN TO THE TRACK FRIDAY?
I can't make it this Friday. I did go last Friday and I ripped off three 12.4's @ 113.

I then let the car sit for 30 min and the best I could do after that was 12.7 @ 111.

I'm ready for a tune and pulley.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:27 PM

I can't make it this Friday. I did go last Friday and I ripped off three 12.4's @ 113.

I then let the car sit for 30 min and the best I could do after that was 12.7 @ 111.

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING AGAIN, AND WE'LL SEE WHAT MINE ARE
Old 10-29-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

You did not seem big on the idea of an additional HE and after market IC pumps in a previous thread, but if you are rethinking it, you might want to check into Renntech's Package Plus. Although the price is a bit salty, I love mine. You get a ECU/TCU tune, extra large SC counter pulley, IC pump and additional HE.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM

SL65
I visited the Miami auto show today and had to sit in the car for 30 min waiting for the doors to open. It was 90 degree's today.

My IAT's reached over 155! My A/C was on max blow the whole time.

Even with the A/C off the IAT's were still in the 130's. That is not good for a drag strip I tell ya.

Next time I'm at the strip I'm going to play around with different techniques to get the IAT's as low as possible before my run. I still think my car has another 1-2mph if I could get my temps down another 20-30 degree's before the run.

Hot lapping seems to be the ticket with this car.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 PM

SL65
Found a good thread on the topic.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...onstantly.html