SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55
Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow

hello gentlemen,
it's been a while since i last posted on this forum, but i never stopped lurking in the SL55 section

ever since -literally- it came out, i have been in love with the SL55; so this has been six years in the making!
along the way, i've owned a number of cars which are thankfully all great in their own right, but after putting 350km on the 55 in less than 48hrs, i now know firsthand what i have been missing out on, as well as what all the fuss is about

there is some definite but minor work to be done on the exterior: fog lamps are miserable + clean headlights + repaint front bumper + polish & detail (perhaps later when the weather over here settles)
thankfully though, the only mech/elec work i have to do is a comprehensive fluids change, and checking up on the tire pressure sensors

so without further adieu, this is my -EXTREMELY & SHAMEFULLY DIRTY- red SL55 on berry red interior w/ red stitching, aluminum trim, and 5-spoke rims

questions will follow, hopefully along with better pics since i am definitely not using my >2mp phonecam again!!
Attached Thumbnails Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-amg1.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-amg2.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-amg3.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-amg4.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Love the color combo! Alf mabrook bro!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Welcome and enjoy the 55.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 amg
alf mabrook, welcome to the forum and u got the best color!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM

E55, S65, C63, SLK55K4
Mabrook.. ya36eeek khaira wikafeeek shara... love the color. We should photo shoot with my red C63. (y)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

HELL YEAH! RED SL'S ARE THE NEW BLACK!

maybe not, but they are popingup more and more lately, i love my red sl55

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-lowering.html
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

SL55
hello gentlemen,
Ahmed: Allah yebaarik feek thanks a lot! and by the way, WELL DONE on the 997 wheels mashalla

IngenereAMG & thatguy55amg: thanks a lot, guys!

mr-flyer: Allah yebarik feek o yesalmek .. inshala!

GFEAR: holy cleanliness batman, i saw your car on 6spd the other day i want my headlights/foglamps to be just as bright! love the newer model grill, real subtle but works great with showing more black in the front; i've thought about painting the grill black for a more aggresive look, but i'm not sure if that's "classy" or fits the 55's purpose?
stating the obvious, but the wheels are AWESOME .. you outdid yourself with the lowering; how is the ride/comfort on 20s that low?
clearance doesn't look that bad at all from the first pic, i hope you're not scraping anything

here are a few more pics - you will kindly excuse the flash/lighting; schedule's been crazy lately but i promise i'll get decent in-the-sun ones soon!

1. front, hopefully showing more of the actual colour (or lack thereof on the sensor "plates"!!!)

2. interior, berry red w/ matching stitch, alum trim

3. stitching

i figured out some of the stuff myself by fiddling around, but i still have some questions to follow!
Attached Thumbnails Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-front.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-interior.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-stitching.jpg   Kuwaiti SL55 :) questions to follow-stitching2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM

my car rides great, i usualy ride a little higher than that.

love the aluminum trim and the red stiching
Old 12-17-2009, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
mabrook

Get yourself SL65 front bumper, SL65 grey rims and a small bootlid spoiler for a refreshing look.

Btw you need a detail, ditec in shuwaikh has 25% off through 1-1-2010. polish and interior cleaning less than 50kd.

Get yourself some Black carpets, better contrast and change the throttle body to the AMG 82mm pushes your car to 2007 SL55 AMG performance power.

Last edited by alroumi; 12-17-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:47 AM

SL55
alroumi yebaarik feek teslam
i'm not a fan of the 65 front bumper; i do like the 19" dbl spokes though, but love the simplicity of the 5spk i have way more; besides, i'd go for LIP over size if i was considering wheels

any pics of a bootlid spoiler you recommend? i love the subtlety of a couple i saw (in pics)

how long would it take ditec to detail and polish (exterior only)? have you had personal experience with them? as you know, i exclusively deal with Rima for all my cars and am satisfied with their work, but this isn't exactly their speciality

ps: more details/links on the 82mm throttle please?

Last edited by Mowateriology; 12-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
nice, congrats. i like the stitching
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Mowateriology
alroumi yebaarik feek teslam
i'm not a fan of the 65 front bumper; i do like the 19" dbl spokes though, but love the simplicity of the 5spk i have way more; besides, i'd go for LIP over size if i was considering wheels

any pics of a bootlid spoiler you recommend? i love the subtlety of a couple i saw (in pics)

how long would it take ditec to detail and polish (exterior only)? have you had personal experience with them? as you know, i exclusively deal with Rima for all my cars and am satisfied with their work, but this isn't exactly their speciality

ps: more details/links on the 82mm throttle please?
I took my car to ditec, their work is on par with the day you pick up the car from the showroom.

Do a search on 82mm throttle body.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
get the 63 rear spoiler from the dealer.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 AM

SL55
thanks Fresh
alroumi cool i'll take your word for it! let me see if i can get a deal out of them to do 4 of my cars since that will obviously extend into the new year

questions:

1. can the foglapms from the 07-08 55 fit the 03 model? i see the position is diff, and obviously the bumper is diff, but size/fitment-wise, is it doable?
for purely aesthetic purposes

2. what is the widest i can go with my rear tires on the 5-spoke 18" AMG wheels?

3. can anyone kindly refer me to where i can get the 03 55 catalogue in English please? dealer doesn't pick up yet!

4. does lowering the car (keeping the 18s) affect ride comfort & smoothness? would it trigger any problems with the hydraulics?

thankfully, i figured out a lot of the more serious questions i had by fiddling around + doing some research, so this is what i have so far

oh and btw, i wouldn't have thought the car with the ESP off to be such a totally different experience
Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by alroumi
get the 63 rear spoiler from the dealer.
nice! i might have to look into that! direct fit, right? any idea on cost?

would probably look more aggressive in black, yes?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Around $300-ish you can get them here, I bought from this site 4 years ago when I had my ML. The fog lights could fit but maybe you have to do custom brackets and cutting of the mesh which goes around them. If you want to lower go through electronic lowering module, its like a chip installed to the suspension to lower it automatically and can be raised when you have to park the car ie "curb" ahead of you ie parking.

Get new rims and a grille, improves the car visually to be honest it looks outdated.

19 65 rims in grey or silver, Lowering, new grille, 65 bootlid spoiler be it carbon or painted red...perfect

http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....egory=Spoilers

Last edited by alroumi; 12-18-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM

2005 vw touareg, sl500 r129 SOLD, 2002 sl500 kleemann
alf mabrook ya36eek khairha o yakfeek shar-ha, enjoy it..
i had my sl for the past year and now i have to sell it for some personal reason, DRIVE safe is all i can say.. enjoy the ride!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 AM

SL55
Originally Posted by alroumi
Around $300-ish you can get them here, I bought from this site 4 years ago when I had my ML. The fog lights could fit but maybe you have to do custom brackets and cutting of the mesh which goes around them. If you want to lower go through electronic lowering module, its like a chip installed to the suspension to lower it automatically and can be raised when you have to park the car ie "curb" ahead of you ie parking.

Get new rims and a grille, improves the car visually to be honest it looks outdated.

19 65 rims in grey or silver, Lowering, new grille, 65 bootlid spoiler be it carbon or painted red...perfect

http://formymercedes.com/mb_results....egory=Spoilers
alroumi, thanks i'll look into the foglights issue + lowering the car with its current set-up!
as for the rims/bumpers, i prefer the 03 look over the 07 model + 63; while i do think it is a much more classic design which will prove timeless as the R129, i wouldn't mind a couple of aesthetic preps to make it more aggressive - particularly the bolder fogs + bootlid spoiler; i love its practicality thus far, so i'm not too keen on the lowering just yet, hence exploring options..
you're my go-to-guy when it comes to all this, so bare with me

khaz3al, allah yebarik feek teslam; thank you so much, and will do!
btw, are you related to m7amad? drives a LC, owns a 999 ducati? he's a close friend, o siteen alf welne3em walla
what model is your SL? let me know about its details and i'll tell my friends about it

edit: just saw your profile, kleemann? @@ offer still stands though, if you wish that i spread the word, let me know details o 7athreen lel6aybeen

Last edited by Mowateriology; 12-18-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
questions:

1. can the foglapms from the 07-08 55 fit the 03 model? i see the position is diff, and obviously the bumper is diff, but size/fitment-wise, is it doable?
for purely aesthetic purposes < yes but it will take some work.

2. what is the widest i can go with my rear tires on the 5-spoke 18" AMG wheels? <you can fit 305's at the most, but if you want to lower the car might be risky, I would say 295's max.

3. can anyone kindly refer me to where i can get the 03 55 catalogue in English please? dealer doesn't pick up yet!< I can see if I can get you one, please PM me, and I will help you.

4. does lowering the car (keeping the 18s) affect ride comfort & smoothness? would it trigger any problems with the hydraulics?< No problem, the lowering module will keep the car safe, and there will not be any warning lights.

thankfully, i figured out a lot of the more serious questions i had by fiddling around + doing some research, so this is what i have so far

oh and btw, i wouldn't have thought the car with the ESP off to be such a totally different experience< You bet, the car is a lot different with ESP off.!