SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Looking at an 05 SL65... (Some concerns)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Looking at an 05 SL65... (Some concerns)

Hey guys! I'm looking at an 05 SL65 with 20K miles on it. It looks good aesthetically and record wise, however, is there any known or common issues with that model year or the 65 in general? Will I need a new cooling pump or heat exchanger upgrade (as in the E55 AMGs)? Basically, what my question is, is there anything that I should be concerned with, that will not let the car perform to its full potential???

The car has an extended warranty btw...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Talking Recent 65 purchase feedback

I think as long as you have the warranty you are okay. Also check service record with selling dealer to see what has been done, i.e. regular service any warranty word....

I bought a 2005 car with 25,000 and am really happy with it and think it is a great value....I bought mine for 65K with warranty.

What is the price you are looking at?

Keep in mind 2009 almost over and I would press for discount of 5k below their bottom price....car will be one year older soon...if no price budge....check the brakes and see if it needs new pads as this car is heavy and goes through brakes pretty quick....maybe you can get dealer to replace pads....around $ 1,000 job....and check the tires as they may be due...go for new ones as part of the deal if you can....I was successful in getting them to go down 5k on price and got new brakes and tires once I pushed....so it can be done if needed....

Nothing has gone wrong after 3,000 miles of ownership other than a left front brake squeak because the car sat for 3 weeks....that was cured with some daily driving....

I have heard some issues with leaking ABC suspension systems on these cars but no issues for me so far.....car does lower a bit after sitting over a few weeks, but pops right back up when put back into use.....no issues..

Quality is very good and performance is stellar......no creaks, rattles, etc....very luxury and sporty.......gas mileage better than advertised as I got close to 19 on a trip and get around 16 around town......

If you find one in good shape.........go for it...don't see too many around as they were pretty limited, relatively speaking with about 1,150 made from 2005-2008.....hope info helps....
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Originally Posted by abiazis
I think as long as you have the warranty you are okay. Also check service record with selling dealer to see what has been done, i.e. regular service any warranty word....

I bought a 2005 car with 25,000 and am really happy with it and think it is a great value....I bought mine for 65K with warranty.

What is the price you are looking at?

Keep in mind 2009 almost over and I would press for discount of 5k below their bottom price....car will be one year older soon...if no price budge....check the brakes and see if it needs new pads as this car is heavy and goes through brakes pretty quick....maybe you can get dealer to replace pads....around $ 1,000 job....and check the tires as they may be due...go for new ones as part of the deal if you can....I was successful in getting them to go down 5k on price and got new brakes and tires once I pushed....so it can be done if needed....

Nothing has gone wrong after 3,000 miles of ownership other than a left front brake squeak because the car sat for 3 weeks....that was cured with some daily driving....

I have heard some issues with leaking ABC suspension systems on these cars but no issues for me so far.....car does lower a bit after sitting over a few weeks, but pops right back up when put back into use.....no issues..

Quality is very good and performance is stellar......no creaks, rattles, etc....very luxury and sporty.......gas mileage better than advertised as I got close to 19 on a trip and get around 16 around town......

If you find one in good shape.........go for it...don't see too many around as they were pretty limited, relatively speaking with about 1,150 made from 2005-2008.....hope info helps....
Abiazis! Thanks a lot for your help! Really appreciate it! The car I'm looking at is 80K Canadian $... So that is about 70K USD... I will for sure work on the price. Tirewise, I will be upsizing them anyways... I will try to run 325/30/19 in the rear and 265/35/19 in the front. I have to check the brakes though!

If ABC goes wrong, I assume it is covered under the extended warranty? Also, there are no engine cooling issues as far as I know, right? The reason I'm asking is that I used to own an 05 E55 and always had the supercharger shutoff issue that never got fixed until I sold the car. Basically, I was never able to use the car to its full potential.. The 65 engine is UNBELIEVABLE, so I just want to know as much as I can about, because I need to run perfectly...

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM

E500(Sold), SL500(Sold), C350(Sold), ML350, SL65
Well I just pick one up Monday anit had much time with it but one thing I can say it's a lot diff then my SL500 that I did have.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Engine runs cool

Engine runs consistenlt at the same temp around 90.....no overheating even on spirited rides or tracking....
Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 AM

2005 Mercedes G55 AMG
Engine runs consistenlt at the same temp around 90.....no overheating even on spirited rides or tracking....
You tracked it? Drag or circuit?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Road Atlanta....lots of fun...during a Porsche event which was fun......
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Just FYI, I wouldn't assume that...

the extended warranty will pay ANYTHING until I had some communication with them. I've had a couple of warranty issues with aftermarket warranty providers on AMG cars, and once they find out what it costs to fix them, they are looking for ways out. So better check it out and see.......

Last edited by allenjdmb; 12-09-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Warranty

I was at the dealer yesterday in Asheville, NC and they said all ABC issues were covered with "total care" warranty from Easy Care that I received with the car from Mercedes in Atlanta.

I agree that you need to ask these questions about warranty coverage because there are some items that they do not cover per my experiences with Porsche car warranty work.

I know they will not cover brake pad failure, as I was in to address a recurring squeaking issue with my brakes that was solved with brake paste applied to back of pads on one brake that had an issue. I also drove the car like I stole it for a week and that quieted down the squeak as the pad may have been glazed over from lack of any deliberate stopping.

Thank goodness the squeak is now gone!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday in Asheville, NC and they said all ABC issues were covered with "total care" warranty from Easy Care that I received with the car from Mercedes in Atlanta.

I agree that you need to ask these questions about warranty coverage because there are some items that they do not cover per my experiences with Porsche car warranty work.

I know they will not cover brake pad failure, as I was in to address a recurring squeaking issue with my brakes that was solved with brake paste applied to back of pads on one brake that had an issue. I also drove the car like I stole it for a week and that quieted down the squeak as the pad may have been glazed over from lack of any deliberate stopping.

Thank goodness the squeak is now gone!!

Easy care total care is a great warranty!