SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New XKR vs SL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 M45 Jeep Commander
Sunir,

Again, no disrespect to anyones heritage... Look i'm a Mexican/Italian - just think where you could go from here? May the jokes begin...

This was just a little humor - nothing more... You really think i have a girlfriend and a wife? I can hardly keep up with the high maintenance cost of my wife...

However, i'm still not buying the whole "Ta Ta motors" thing... Maybe when they come out whith a Jaguar named the "Bada Bing" or a Hummer knock off called the "Bodatious Ta Ta" - I may be in the market for one of those. Cause, thats just
funny...

But, in closing you are right - Indians and Chinese are some very smart folks and have had to endure some very tough lives in order to be Dr's, Lawyers, etc... However, isnt it wonderful that most, if not all, aspire to be American Dr's, Lawyers, etc... Doesnt that make you just say, Hmm?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Sunir
Interesting you think Indians are nothing more than bumbling call center reps... Ta Ta is a profitable car maker and a respectable one...they have made marked improvements in Jag, a traditional ***** of a liability and loss leader auto corp that everyone passed around the block...

Remmember that many s/w engineers and thinkers in S-Valley are Indian, not to mention the many doctors, lawyers, and other highly skilled work force in the country...you may like to research the statistics before making comments like the above post ...

also while your at it take a look at the projected growth for foriegn market economies including India and China...do you really see these markets limited to call centers...
Damn right! look at cars you would never touch 10 years ago, Hyundai, Kia, and look at Skoda and Seat even better.
But as yet I never seen a Trabant GTi....

As for super cars in London, never go there, I live miles away in the country.
Also worst place to drive such beautiful cars.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by AhMyGawd
But, in closing you are right - Indians and Chinese are some very smart folks and have had to endure some very tough lives in order to be Dr's, Lawyers, etc... However, isnt it wonderful that most, if not all, aspire to be American Dr's, Lawyers, etc... Doesnt that make you just say, Hmm?
Actually many Indians here pursue higher studies in many fields, one of which is medical, however equally prevelent are engineering followed by perhaps legal.

And as far as aspirations go; India is growing more technologically advanced than many sectors of the world's economy. Many students are staying there in South Asia out of choice and the hearlhcare program is very strong...it is our healthcare system here that really wants good doctors and hence the need to try to recruit some of the world's best Asian physicians from either overseas or though our top national medical schools...in fact you can get far better care in places like India, Malasia, Singapore, etc...for the dollar equivalent spent here on the same ailmant or illness....that's for sure. Many Americans are choosing the overseas option for long term care and/or debilitating illness....doesn't that make you just say, hmm?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey fellas, can we stick to talking about cars and not careers.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Something Fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCrHDbvn00

Mercedes gets beating hard.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Jag may get a couple of car lengths then seams to stay with the jag.
The biggest reason I feel to buy an SL is the tin convertible, tips the table
every time.Canvas rooof, Porsche,Jaguar, Aston, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 AM
DNJ

CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Smile

Hello and many thanks for your timely review. I am considering buying a SL63 but thought I should at least consider a few other cars that are broadly in the same group and the XKR came up.

I note that you said nothing about the gearbox/engine combination. The SL63's gearbox is supposed to be really fast etc. How does it compare with the XKR's?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by DNJ
Hello and many thanks for your timely review. I am considering buying a SL63 but thought I should at least consider a few other cars that are broadly in the same group and the XKR came up.

I note that you said nothing about the gearbox/engine combination. The SL63's gearbox is supposed to be really fast etc. How does it compare with the XKR's?
SL63 MCT gearbox has been shown to be problematic...if it were me I'd go with a tried and true gearbox like the 5spd on a benz or the 6spd on a porsche (ZF and Getrag do it well), and the 63 powerplant doesn't have the same grunt as the 55....I dunno forced induction has more possibilites, something to consider
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
They are very nice, I would certainly consider one if I were in the market again. It's nice to see a little variety in the 100k/500hp arena.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM

2007 MB SL55 AMG
Reviving an old thread, but still applicable.

After much deliberation, I traded in my silver 2007 SL55 AMG for a never-titled 2010 silver Jaguar XKR convertible. Why? Mainly practical considerations - the SL55 just wasn't comfortable on warm days! Between the black leather and the heat from that monster supercharged engine the SL55 wasn't enjoyable in city traffic. Some observations:

1) I originally looked at a 2009 white SL63 with stone(tan) interior. It handled better than the 55 for sure, but the drop in torque was noticeable. Too noticeable, which is probably why they're revamping the engine for 2012. That torque on the 55 was addictive...

2) My XKR sprints like a beast, but also feels much more nimble than the SL55 ever did. Honestly, I'm rarely flying through mountain twisties - this is a summer fun car in Chicago - but the weight differential couldn't be ignored.

3) The XKR is gorgeous and certainly gets a few more looks than the SL did, likely because there's less of them around. While the interior of the XKR is nice, the SL's is nicer. That "cockpit" feeling in the SL is unbeatable - everything is top quality and just where it should be. The Jag is no slouch, but I question a few of their plastic/color decisions. Seems like a few small alternatives on their end would have really stepped it up a notch. In any event, both look stunning.

4) XKR is MUCH more comfortable during leisurely driving in the sun. The seats are cooled - not just ventilated - the air conditioner is quiet and strong, and the engine doesn't radiate as much heat towards the driver. Again, one of the main reasons I made the switch.

5) Of the 3 - Sl55, SL63, XKR - I thought the SL63 sounded the best. That exhaust is killer.

All three are fantastic cars with individual pluses and minuses. I just felt the Jag had the best combination of looks, gut-wrenching power, comfort, and handling, but as this thread shows all is up for debate. That's why we compare cars!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Verbow
Reviving an old thread, but still applicable.

After much deliberation, I traded in my silver 2007 SL55 AMG for a never-titled 2010 silver Jaguar XKR convertible. Why? Mainly practical considerations - the SL55 just wasn't comfortable on warm days! Between the black leather and the heat from that monster supercharged engine the SL55 wasn't enjoyable in city traffic. Some observations:

1) I originally looked at a 2009 white SL63 with stone(tan) interior. It handled better than the 55 for sure, but the drop in torque was noticeable. Too noticeable, which is probably why they're revamping the engine for 2012. That torque on the 55 was addictive...

2) My XKR sprints like a beast, but also feels much more nimble than the SL55 ever did. Honestly, I'm rarely flying through mountain twisties - this is a summer fun car in Chicago - but the weight differential couldn't be ignored.

3) The XKR is gorgeous and certainly gets a few more looks than the SL did, likely because there's less of them around. While the interior of the XKR is nice, the SL's is nicer. That "cockpit" feeling in the SL is unbeatable - everything is top quality and just where it should be. The Jag is no slouch, but I question a few of their plastic/color decisions. Seems like a few small alternatives on their end would have really stepped it up a notch. In any event, both look stunning.

4) XKR is MUCH more comfortable during leisurely driving in the sun. The seats are cooled - not just ventilated - the air conditioner is quiet and strong, and the engine doesn't radiate as much heat towards the driver. Again, one of the main reasons I made the switch.

5) Of the 3 - Sl55, SL63, XKR - I thought the SL63 sounded the best. That exhaust is killer.

All three are fantastic cars with individual pluses and minuses. I just felt the Jag had the best combination of looks, gut-wrenching power, comfort, and handling, but as this thread shows all is up for debate. That's why we compare cars!
There is now an XKRs, which is definitely faster than either Merc , it also
looks more aggressive, but on the down side it's not as comfortable as the
normal XKR. The trouble is my 63 wins every time because it has a tin roof
which goes down, the Jag will have a cloth roof.