SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New XKR vs SL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
New XKR vs SL63

Well it's been a long time but I finally got to drive and compare the new XKR
with 500bhp supercharged with my SL 63.
The ride and comfort were very similar, I could live with either, the interior
of the Jag was beautiful rather than sporty, and the Jag had less road noise.
As far as speed the felt very close, but remember my SL63 has been re mapped with K&N's, so I imagine the Jag would be quicker than a standard
63. So just down to looks, I was very impressed with how far the Jag has come in the last few years, but that ubiquitous shape although nice doesn't compare with my 63, and it didn't have a hard top that slipped into the back
to make a convertible.
But the final kick in the nuts was when he said how good the Jag sounds,
very nice I said, then I started the 63... nuff said. But good luck to Jaguar.

New XKR  vs SL63-xk-002.jpga.jpg
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Yes, about time Jag stepped into the HP arena but probably still to late , as they say.. Hard to beat the sound of a 63..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How many times have I been asked what make of exhausts I have!!

MERCEDES I say!!
The following users liked this post:
theapigo (07-02-2024)
Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Gorgeous Aston Martin...on a serious note, there was one on display at a mall and i pulled ever so slightly on the front bumper where it meets the fender in the front of the wheel opening and it separated....i swore i would never ever buy a car (jaguar)that's put together with no regard for quality. I do own a 1971 XKE, but that was before the mall incident
Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the quality has improved a great deal but there was one thing,
you barely touched the brakes and it stood on it's nose, I am so use to a
slightly soggy MB pedal even the 63 felt this way after the Jag, once you
got used to the Jag my 63 felt like the brakes weren't going to work.
You get used to both of course.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
The jag and Aston Martin (same styling basicly) look better than an SL63 hands down, no contest!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
i take sl63 any day.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sunir
The jag and Aston Martin (same styling basicly) look better than an SL63 hands down, no contest!
It's all a matter of taste, their both lovely cars, but the jag is too long!
and I still prefer my 63.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by sound 8
It's all a matter of taste, their both lovely cars, but the jag is too long!
and I still prefer my 63.
nothing against the R230...I have one also...they are nice looking for sure...but the Aston DB9 (or vanquish even with the slightly broader defined
"shoulders") for example...are pure brilliant and look stunning, those disigns have been raved by the automotive press (i.e. DB9 Volante) as the most gorgeous car design ever..and I totally agree...now this has nothing to do with performance statistics per se...if I had an Aston I'd just look at it and drive it occasionally to the golf club or out to restaurant or club... in the looks department the Aston is a supermodel amonst the others who are merely cute girls next door
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have never had so many looks since I bought the 63, if the looks don't get
em. the exhaust will.
But there again unlike the states you hardly ever see super cars, I can't remember the last time I saw an Aston, Ferrari even a 63.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I have never had so many looks since I bought the 63, if the looks don't get
em. the exhaust will.
But there again unlike the states you hardly ever see super cars, I can't remember the last time I saw an Aston, Ferrari even a 63.
sl63 is not a supercar...I wouldn't really put any SL in the supercar catagory...very nice car - yes, fast car - yes, cool car - yes, supercar/exotic - no, not quite...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Sunir
sl63 is not a supercar...I wouldn't really put any SL in the supercar catagory...very nice car - yes, fast car - yes, cool car - yes, supercar/exotic - no, not quite...
I know of a certain SL600 that could be called a super(fast)car. **ehem**

Joke.

I agree with Sunir on all points. SL's are a dime a dozen here in the DC Metro area so I can hardly consider them a supercar. Plus, SL 63's arent even very fast, which is another requirement. Honestly, I'm less likely to see a Jag S-Type R than an SL of any trim.

And the Jag XKR/Aston wins in the looks department, both inside and out. I had this dilemma when purchasing my SL600. I loved the XKR, but didn't want to wait for the new one and the SL600 basically met every damn requirement I had for a new roadster. It didn't make any sense for me to get any car other than the SL600.

No doubt, in my mind, that I made the right choice. But, the XKR is sexier and sounds just as good as your SL63
Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I suppose it depends on where you live. England is a rich country but our roads are more suited to mid size saloons. There is also a great deal of jealousy
and if you have a 100k car of any type expect it to be vandalized if parked
in any but the most secure car park. Also Brits seem to have a habit of opening there doors on to the side of yours, sometimes on purpose I feel.
Sure there are plenty of 63's in LA/California which makes them less super car
but you also have hundreds of Porsche so are they super cars, there on a par
price wise with MB. I have not seen another 63 in the 9 moths I have had mine. So what do you consider a super car, Zonda, Ferrari, Bugatti.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
I suppose it depends on where you live. England is a rich country but our roads are more suited to mid size saloons. There is also a great deal of jealousy
and if you have a 100k car of any type expect it to be vandalized if parked
in any but the most secure car park. Also Brits seem to have a habit of opening there doors on to the side of yours, sometimes on purpose I feel.
Sure there are plenty of 63's in LA/California which makes them less super car
but you also have hundreds of Porsche so are they super cars, there on a par
price wise with MB. I have not seen another 63 in the 9 moths I have had mine. So what do you consider a super car, Zonda, Ferrari, Bugatti.
I don't think rarity alone makes a car a supercar-- my S65 is one of the rarest sights but and with 604bhp and 737lb/ft it's got more poke than many supercars but it still isn't one. Thing is the S and SL are on every street corner in lower trim levels.

Supercars are generally impractical, EXTREMELY loud, make everyone stare and there are no available models of the same bodystyle available for far cheaper like the SL350. A Nissan GTR isn't a supercar even though it is a fairly rare sight and has "supercar" performance figures.

An SL63, like an S65, is to most just another 'Benz....which they both are except they have a few extra ponies...

I also don't find England quite as jealous as you say, especially England or wealthy towns in the north, but that sucks that there are some areas were jealousy and vandalism are issues...park carefully you have a nice ride

'Rob

Last edited by transferred; 12-17-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM

06 E60 M5
XKR vs SL600...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCrHDbvn00

2nd race was closer
Old 12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by transferred
I don't think rarity alone makes a car a supercar-- my S65 is one of the rarest sights but and with 604bhp and 737lb/ft it's got more poke than many supercars but it still isn't one. Thing is the S and SL are on every street corner in lower trim levels.

Supercars are generally impractical, EXTREMELY loud, make everyone stare and there are no available models of the same bodystyle available for far cheaper like the SL350. A Nissan GTR isn't a supercar even though it is a fairly rare sight and has "supercar" performance figures.

An SL63, like an S65, is to most just another 'Benz....which they both are except they have a few extra ponies...

I also don't find England quite as jealous as you say, especially England or wealthy towns in the north, but that sucks that there are some areas were jealousy and vandalism are issues...park carefully you have a nice ride

'Rob
I agree, how much it cost does not make it a supercar. I am now confused
as to the definition of a supercar. Perhaps some other members can give their views as to what they think a supercar is.
I wish the English had a bit more of an Italian and to some extent the American attitude to nice things i.e cars . I have been told you can park a Ferrari almost anywhere in Italy, and it will still be there when you return, that's if you can get by the admirers. I long to use my 63 more, but just can't
trust where I am going to be safe, shame!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by transferred

'Rob
Rob:

Once again I agree 100%.

My "supercars" list includes McLaren F1, Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari F50, Ferrari Enzo, Jaguar XJ220 and McLaren SLR. If you want to go completely old school, it would include the Ferrary 250 GTO, Mercedes SL300, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C and Lamborghini Miura. As you mentioned, these cars are not based on other available body style cars. As you also said...just because our V12TT cars have "supercar" performance...it doesn't make them "supercars"....

Tom
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Rob:

Once again I agree 100%.

My "supercars" list includes McLaren F1, Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari F50, Ferrari Enzo, Jaguar XJ220 and McLaren SLR. If you want to go completely old school, it would include the Ferrary 250 GTO, Mercedes SL300, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C and Lamborghini Miura. As you mentioned, these cars are not based on other available body style cars. As you also said...just because our V12TT cars have "supercar" performance...it doesn't make them "supercars"....

Tom
Great list, mate. I would add the Zonda, Koeniggsegg CCXR, Veyron and Maserati MC12. For the old schoolers I'd add the Lamborghini Diablo GT and the Bugatti from the 90s, I think it was the EB110.

I've had the luck to run into a Jaguar XJ220 on the road before, in the UK in c.'99. I spotted it instantly, they look about 25 feet long. I caught up to get a look and before I knew it there was a pimply faced youth between us in a 3cyl Vauxhall hatchback who proceeded to overtake it on a blind bend. We ended up going our separate directions so I never got to se who was driving but hopefully they continued to treat it well and take it out for the odd spin around the block.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rob and Tom , you both have impeccable taste, but how many times and which car do you ever see on the road in the states. You would have to go to a car museum inc newer models to see practically any of the cars you mention here in the UK. You just don't realize how boring a journey can be here when all you see is the ubiquitous 3 series, Audi's A4 Vauxhall Vectra and
Ford Mondeo, and because of the weather unlike California ANY super car is locked away only to come out on the best days of summer. I actually like the current Corvette!
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Great list, mate. I would add the Zonda, Koeniggsegg CCXR, Veyron and Maserati MC12. For the old schoolers I'd add the Lamborghini Diablo GT and the Bugatti from the 90s, I think it was the EB110.

I've had the luck to run into a Jaguar XJ220 on the road before, in the UK in c.'99. I spotted it instantly, they look about 25 feet long. I caught up to get a look and before I knew it there was a pimply faced youth between us in a 3cyl Vauxhall hatchback who proceeded to overtake it on a blind bend. We ended up going our separate directions so I never got to se who was driving but hopefully they continued to treat it well and take it out for the odd spin around the block.
Yup, those are all supercars that I would add to my list.

Tom
Old 12-18-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would like to nominate a British car for super car status.
The Sierra Cosworth RS500, the 500 because that's all they built in three
colours, white,black and moonstone.
The car looked outrageous with it's whale tale. It came with 225 bhp but could easily be tuned to 500 bhp capable of embarrassing ANY super car, especially at 1.3 tons. It allowed people of all backgrounds and earnings to feel the power of a supercar and all for 20k. Up to about 400 bhp it could be used as an every day car, with it's price looks and performance everyone could own one, unfortunately a young driver could pay up to 5k on insurance.
A mint RS500 especially in white or black ( only 50 of each colour made) with
a unmolested engine are now fetching over 40k.
This must make it a super car, did any make it to the States?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 AM

SL55
Not sure where you live in the UK but spend any evening in central London and you will see almost every supercar you've ever dreamed of....
Old 12-22-2009, 03:55 PM

SL55 M45 Jeep Commander
Sorry to those of you Jag fans but, i dont think i would own a car made by Ta Ta Motors?

I would rather buy my wife and girlfriend a set of Ta Ta's and still have money leftover, get them all liquored up and hope for the best.

No disrespect but, let them get the "Call Center" business down right before they attempt the supercar business... I dont think my ticker could take another call into another one of thier Help/Customer service desk...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by AhMyGawd
Sorry to those of you Jag fans but, i dont think i would own a car made by Ta Ta Motors?

I would rather buy my wife and girlfriend a set of Ta Ta's and still have money leftover, get them all liquored up and hope for the best.

No disrespect but, let them get the "Call Center" business down right before they attempt the supercar business... I dont think my ticker could take another call into another one of thier Help/Customer service desk...
Interesting you think Indians are nothing more than bumbling call center reps... Ta Ta is a profitable car maker and a respectable one...they have made marked improvements in Jag, a traditional ***** of a liability and loss leader auto corp that everyone passed around the block...

Remmember that many s/w engineers and thinkers in S-Valley are Indian, not to mention the many doctors, lawyers, and other highly skilled work force in the country...you may like to research the statistics before making comments like the above post ...

also while your at it take a look at the projected growth for foriegn market economies including India and China...do you really see these markets limited to call centers...
Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by AhMyGawd

Can't say that I agree 100% as I really do like the new XKR, but the Ta Ta's line was damn funny. Also, I just realized you said wife AND girlfriend. Hmmm....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New XKR vs SL63