SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL63 or SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Here is the problem with that...and this is a problem here in the U.S.....in Antarctica...or anywhere else people test their cars on a dyno....without a baseline for the stock car on that same dyno...the dyno #'s don't mean much. If your car does 450rwhp...what does that mean? Some people will come up with a magic formula that says there is 18% parasitic loss from crank to the wheels. Others will say that particular dyno is 20% loss...or it is the infamous "heartbreaker" which is "at least" 35% loss.. People start pulling %'s out of the air and if you thought there was arguing before....just wait...

Alternatively, if your car had put down 400rwhp pre-tune on that dyno under the same conditions (i.e. corrected to the same ambient conditions)...then yeah..I would say you picked up 50rwhp...and would be more than happy to have my humble pie.....although I like mine a'la mode...

That is why I run at the same old Dynojet dyno after every mod. I even went to another Dynojet dyno just to make sure the other one was "honest". I was able to get within 2 rwhp of the other one...so I was satisfied with the accuracy.

Tom
My god your getting paranoid, what if this, what about that, will the heavens open and kill me. As far as I am concerned one Dyno should be the same as another. I have put many of my cars on dyno's and there has been no obviously incorrect readings, in fact my Evo 6 measured within 5 bhp on 3 different dyno's. Perhaps you would like me to come to the States and measure it on yours, I'll even buy you a beer, I'm coming over in the summer so give me your address and we'll talk cars over a beer.
Seriously if I take my car to a dyno, are you going to believe the results, or carry on in a blinkered fashion.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by sound 8
I think it boils down to this...people in the UK (Europe in general) have very limited access to quality dynos and drag tracks. So tuners over there can completely exaggerate their performance claims with no one ever calling them out.

Tom
Tom, this is your quote!
I haven't mentioned any names, or tuners! Your wriggling now by trying to include names such as McLaren. Your quote is clearly implying that we are a bunch of carrot crunchers,I think it's your nerves that have been touched.
Nearly every F1 team is in the UK. Their Dyno's are the most advanced in the world, along with wind tunnels etc, and you can hire them. You obviously read a lot and occasionally take your car to the drag strip, that doesn't make you a Lewis Hamilton. Try to be more modest, try to loose gracefully, you made a huge **** up, try not to justify it![/QUOTE]

Yes...that is exactly what I said... and yes of course ...F1 race teams are intricately linked with aftermarket tuners...yup... and even if I was Lewis Hamilton that would make me Lewis Hamilton an "expert" on aftermarket car tuning....because everyone knows that an F1 driver can verify hp claims merely by smelling the exhaust.... and yes your SL63 must make 600hp SAE, 608hp PS/DIN because it was done by a UK tuner...othewise if it was a US tuner it would make 520hp...happy?

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
My god your getting paranoid, what if this, what about that, will the heavens open and kill me. As far as I am concerned one Dyno should be the same as another. I have put many of my cars on dyno's and there has been no obviously incorrect readings, in fact my Evo 6 measured within 5 bhp on 3 different dyno's. Perhaps you would like me to come to the States and measure it on yours, I'll even buy you a beer, I'm coming over in the summer so give me your address and we'll talk cars over a beer.
Seriously if I take my car to a dyno, are you going to believe the results, or carry on in a blinkered fashion.
I think that says it all....

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Ok, hold on. Let's just take a step back here and take a deep breath....

Sound8, do you think it's possible that you're wrong on this one? Or is do you think that your tuner, unnamed might I add, is the only tuner on the planet that's been able to miraculously squeeze 62HP out of the 63 platform, with only a remap.

Every other tuner, some considered the GOLD STANDARD in the world, have only been able extract another 20 or so ponies out that platform. Yet somehow, your tuner is able to get 300% more.

I certainly understand that after people spend money on mods, that they want to think that their car is sooooo much faster than before. You can lump me in with that group as well. But unless you put that car on a dragstrip and run it, this conversation is pointless.

It doesn't matter that you have no drag racing experience. All we are interested in is trap speed. I don't care how much you know or don't know about 1/4 mile racing, your trap speed will be consistent. With experience, comes lower ETs, not higher trap. The only thing that will increase your trap speed is horsepower and/or lower D.A.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 01-15-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh! it's supposed to be 525 stock!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh! it's supposed to be 525 stock!!

Ok, so 62HP gain. Still not happening.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Ok, hold on. Let's just take a step back here and take a deep breath....

Sound8, do you think it's possible that you're wrong on this one? Or is do you think that your tuner, unnamed might I add, is the only tuner on the planet that's been able to miraculously squeeze 80HP out of the 63 platform, with only a remap.

Every other tuner, some considered the GOLD STANDARD in the world, have only been able extract another 20 or so ponies out that platform. Yet somehow, your tuner is able to get 400% more.

I certainly understand that after people spend money on mods, that they want to think that their car is sooooo much faster than before. You can lump me in with that group as well. But unless you put that car on a dragstrip and run it, this conversation is pointless.

It doesn't matter that you have no drag racing experience. All we are interested in is trap speed. I don't care how much you know or don't know about 1/4 mile racing, your trap speed will be consistent. With experience, comes lower ETs, not higher trap. The only thing that will increase your trap speed is horsepower and/or lower D.A.
Benz-O-Rama thanks for your reply, however figures are getting way out.
I believe the SL63 has around 520-525 stock, I am saying the promised increase to 560 is an extra 35 and I believe after having it done feels that way. Would'nt it be better if everyone stopped doubting it as all they have to work on is figures and wait until I have had it dyno'd. There could be a lot of egg on faces.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Benz-O-Rama thanks for your reply, however figures are getting way out.
I believe the SL63 has around 520-525 stock, I am saying the promised increase to 560 is an extra 35 and I believe after having it done feels that way. Would'nt it be better if everyone stopped doubting it as all they have to work on is figures and wait until I have had it dyno'd. There could be a lot of egg on faces.
I have some questions for you since you are so experienced in the area of dynos. What type of dyno have you run on? What cars did you dyno? What hp figures did the dyno show for such cars?

Just an FYI...the SL63 is rated at 518hp SAE (net) or 525hp PS/DIN/CV. The only difference is the metric conversion used for PS/DIN/CV.

Tom

Last edited by TMC M5; 01-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have some questions for you since you are so experienced in the area of dynos. What type of dyno have you run on? What cars did you dyno? What hp figures did the dyno show for such cars?

Just an FYI...the SL63 is rated at 518hp SAE (net) or 525hp PS/DIN/CV. The only difference is the metric conversion used for PS/DIN/CV.

Tom
Sorry Tom where did I say I was so experienced in the area of dyno's
They work em, I watch and wait for the figures, BTW I think we measure
or use different terms than the states. If your using the terms under which it measures 525, and if the tuners are using the same then an increase of 35 hp
I believe is possible. Let's wait and see
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Sorry Tom where did I say I was so experienced in the area of dyno's
They work em, I watch and wait for the figures, BTW I think we measure
or use different terms than the states. If your using the terms under which it measures 525, and if the tuners are using the same then an increase of 35 hp
I believe is possible. Let's wait and see
Now can you please answer these simple questions I asked before?

What type of dyno have you run on? What cars did you dyno? What hp figures did the dyno show for such cars?

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
your trap speed will be consistent. With experience, comes lower ETs, not higher trap. The only thing that will increase your trap speed is horsepower and/or lower D.A.
Unless you race @ Sacramento

Clayton/Tom save your pearls of wisdom as they fall on deaf ears across the pond

Now can you please answer these simple questions I asked before?

What type of dyno have you run on? What cars did you dyno? What hp figures did the dyno show for such cars?Tom
Tom- I can readily supply my list w/actual dynos from past/current cars, Hard of hearing-8 ONLY believes in crank HP or the ever popular BHP guesstimation w/Magical drive train loss pre-factored...

Last edited by Thericker; 01-15-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Unless you race @ Sacramento

Clayton/Tom save your pearls of wisdom as they fall on deaf ears across the pond
I'm beginning to notice that...

I was hoping I could speak logically with him, since I'm one of the few that hasn't lost patience yet.

I also forgot to mention 2 more things that could increase his trap, and those are less weight, and a strong tail wind.

C'mon Sound8, you've got to at least be willing to accept that no other tuner in THE WORLD, has been able to do what your tuner is claiming.

Can you please post a link to your tuner's website so we can see for ourselves?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am going to take it to an independant and reputable company who have a rolling road. They will measure the BHP and the torque.
I will publish the results whatever they are, now if your not going to believe
it should the reading be 560 or there abouts that's up to you.
I think you are all frightened it may be what they say, if you don't believe it
that's up to you. A friend of mine re maps VW and Audi, the R8 is one that people have done, even though the increase is less than 30hp. He says 35
extra from my 6.2 litre engine is quite possible, so let's see.