SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: **HELP** COMAND has died on me after garage visit...am i liable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 SL55
**HELP** COMAND has died on me after garage visit...am i liable?

My Consumer Electronics battery in an SL55 had been draining too quick for some time. After numerous visits to the workshop the guys work out it's leaking charge from the "cam bus cable (?)" and manage to stop the drain and return the car. Relieved, I get in, gun her up and set off only to find the stereo/CD/SatNav operates but has no sound...nothing at all...and an error message if I try the CD saying "No CD charger detected" on the screen. Now the garage tell me that this may have been the cause of the problem and are suggesting I spend £2,900 on a new COMAND system.
COMAND was working 100% fine when I took it in to have the batttery drain problem looked at. They admit they had to unplug and replug everything to find the problem but is it seriously possible that I am liable if it was working BEFORE the investigation but not AFTER?
Has anyone seen this problem before...everything LOOKS ok on COMAND but no sound comes out and I get a CD error message? Any info really appreciated.....feel like screaming / exploding....
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by 55Alive
My Consumer Electronics battery in an SL55 had been draining too quick for some time. After numerous visits to the workshop the guys work out it's leaking charge from the "cam bus cable (?)" and manage to stop the drain and return the car. Relieved, I get in, gun her up and set off only to find the stereo/CD/SatNav operates but has no sound...nothing at all...and an error message if I try the CD saying "No CD charger detected" on the screen. Now the garage tell me that this may have been the cause of the problem and are suggesting I spend £2,900 on a new COMAND system.
COMAND was working 100% fine when I took it in to have the batttery drain problem looked at. They admit they had to unplug and replug everything to find the problem but is it seriously possible that I am liable if it was working BEFORE the investigation but not AFTER?
Has anyone seen this problem before...everything LOOKS ok on COMAND but no sound comes out and I get a CD error message? Any info really appreciated.....feel like screaming / exploding....
I'm not telling anything you don't already know but you need better service from your garage.

It's certainly possible for the Command system to cause a power drain but simply disconnecting and reconnecting the Command system couldn't possibly correct the problem. The only way to correct the problem would be to replace the component that's drawing too much power.

If I found myself in your circumstance, I would check all the fuses and connectors around the Command system. You may find an open connector or blown fuse that is causing the problem.

If all the fuses and connectors are okay, the next step would be to run Star Diagnostics (aka DAS) and see what Command system errors it can find.

If you do have to replace the Command system you should be able to pick up a used unit at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 AM

'03 SL55
Many thanks...will get various bit checked as you suggest. The garage have reluctantly agreed to look at it again but only next week after "their experienced electrician" is back. This is a mainstream London dealership which is disturbing.
The radio seemingly works (with no sound), the SatNav functions, but with no sound. CD player not recognised. All seems fine really but no sound. I really struggle to believe I need an entirely new system.
Thanks again. Will let you know in a week or so....
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 AM

'03 SL55
amplifier prob caused COMAND to collapse

Having been told I needed a £2900 COMAND system to replace the old one it turned out to be a small problem with the Bose amplifier that was causing the lack of sound. Fixed in an hour at zero cost....all's well that ends well.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 57 Likes on 14 Posts
08 ML350, 2011 E550 Cab
Sometimes when i disconnect my rear battery's negative cable, i loose sound from my command, and the it says no cd changer is connected. To fix this I simply disconnect the negative cable again, wait about 10 seconds and re-connect. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to disconnect and reconnect, but eventually i will have everything working again... Don't know why the electronics in these cars are so iffy.. But i would definately try this before replacing the command...
Nick
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by 55Alive
Having been told I needed a £2900 COMAND system to replace the old one it turned out to be a small problem with the Bose amplifier that was causing the lack of sound. Fixed in an hour at zero cost....all's well that ends well.
Hey! Great news! Glad it all worked out for you!!