SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: NEW WHEELS ON MY RIDE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Kamil this is not so much a question of style as it is from a purely engineering design and specification standpoint, (yes I am an engineer). Your wheels were designed to accept a certain tire width, plain and simple...it's not about "looks" or "style". If you are outside the tolerences of this specification your rate of failure will increase tremendously, again not a subjective matter here. There is a reason why people don't do this setup - it's not compliant to the design criteria of neither of the parts (wheel OR tire) used.

If you decide to stay with this I wish you luck. Your chances of breaking the bead are very very high; should that happen under the wrong circumstances, your results could be catastrophic.

Again best of luck.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
How does it drive compared to your OEM SL65 wheels?
I only went up to 120MPH in the car with the new setup and it drove really nice, could not even tell the difference. Around town is the same thing; however, I look out for potholes a lot more now.

Originally Posted by FLSL55
Kamilclk430,

At least your car doesn't look like these ones.

Honestly, 3 years ago it would be very hard to find pimped out SL's. Now they are becoming more and more common.

Ruins the classy looks and kills the resale of the body style IMHO.

I'm not messing around with the paint or body on this car I like the clean look. The only thing I would consider doing is the SL63 rear bumper
Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Jeepney
Kamil, glad you love the rims!!! Your car looks amazing!! Sorry I couldn't get back to you with that pm you sent, got a new job and been working overtime. Car looks so awesome.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 PM

sl55, range rover sport
Kamil,
I think its great that you have put your ride together the way You want it to look. It may not be everyones cuppa tea,i like it for whats thats worth,but you certainly have ***** to go with what you want,nice one.
One thing i would do would be to raise the back links by mabye an half inch,just to see what the stance looks like.
Either way NICE ONE

happy motoring bc brit
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Blazinpin0i
Kamil, glad you love the rims!!! Your car looks amazing!! Sorry I couldn't get back to you with that pm you sent, got a new job and been working overtime. Car looks so awesome.
All because of you Brah. Thanks again for the killer deal and these wheels in my opinion are perfect for this car. I ended up going with a 5inch lip in rear.

Originally Posted by bc brit
Kamil,
I think its great that you have put your ride together the way You want it to look. It may not be everyones cuppa tea,i like it for whats thats worth,but you certainly have ***** to go with what you want,nice one.
One thing i would do would be to raise the back links by mabye an half inch,just to see what the stance looks like.
Either way NICE ONE

happy motoring bc brit
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
It is very aggressive look indeed! That style is becoming popular and the cars I seen it on looked like crap. You have pulled it of with taste and style. Cruise her with pride and show other if they are going with this style to do it right!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OUTCAST
It is very aggressive look indeed! That style is becoming popular and the cars I seen it on looked like crap. You have pulled it of with taste and style. Cruise her with pride and show other if they are going with this style to do it right!
Thank You dear sir. I will roll the fenders a bit and it will look even better.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
I think it looks great. If that outer lip was sticking out a little more past the fender, it would look off.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Who is to tell me what look I should go with and what I should not go with??? I know this is a public forum, I joined this forum to be a helpfull hand to some of the other board members when they needed it; however, everyone is different and joins up for different reasons. I can take the criticism, I don't mind it, but is it really necessary to go into detail? You either like it or you don't, with all do respect, aren't you one of the guys that was told that the BBS wheel will not work on your car? and you went and still did it??? Let's not even get into how the wheels lays on your car vs mine, mine fits and sits on my car the way I want it to fit and sit, yours does the same for you.
kamil,

I told you 20" BBS CH-Rs wouldn't fit? I don't recall such a conversation? For what it's worth, BBS told me the wheels wouldn't fit either (you can call CPT and ask) but Al had them send a front wheel which did wind up fitting, but they said it wouldn't fit an SL65, not an SL55. I do not recall telling you my BBS wheels wouldn't fit your car.

As far as justifying my criticism - if you can take it, why are you so defensive about it? I'm not just going to post "I don't like it" because I feel you deserve an explanation for why I don't like it. If you can't take why I don't like it, I'm sorry, but I'm just giving you the cold honest truth. I posted a build thread too for my car - and you have to understand that when you do something like that you are going to attract attention, both good and bad, and have to be prepared for both. If people don't like my car they can say whatever they want. You knew you were going to get controversy with this look so I'm surprised you are so defensive about it.

-m
Old 05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
kamil,

I told you 20" BBS CH-Rs wouldn't fit? I don't recall such a conversation? For what it's worth, BBS told me the wheels wouldn't fit either (you can call CPT and ask) but Al had them send a front wheel which did wind up fitting, but they said it wouldn't fit an SL65, not an SL55. I do not recall telling you my BBS wheels wouldn't fit your car.

As far as justifying my criticism - if you can take it, why are you so defensive about it? I'm not just going to post "I don't like it" because I feel you deserve an explanation for why I don't like it. If you can't take why I don't like it, I'm sorry, but I'm just giving you the cold honest truth. I posted a build thread too for my car - and you have to understand that when you do something like that you are going to attract attention, both good and bad, and have to be prepared for both. If people don't like my car they can say whatever they want. You knew you were going to get controversy with this look so I'm surprised you are so defensive about it.

-m
I aggree with you on that. I understand but, I thought you were saying that the truth overall is that the style is ugly. I maybe misread your post and got a little nervous when I read the first 2 lines. I will be posting a Project thread soon when I get more done to the car.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
On a side note Marcus if you're ever trying to get outta your CH-R setup let me know...that setup would look great on an diamond silver sl55!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 AM

SL55 AMG
this car is absolutely SICK. fitment is spot on.

what sizes and tyres u running kamil..

well done dude...you smashed it

gurps
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G3RPY UK

gurps
Front is a 9.5 wide wheel with a 225/35/19 and rear is 10.5 wide wheel with a 245/35/19

THANK YOU
Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG

gurps
Kamil's style is popular amongst the European "Tutonic" or "Tecknik" crowd...wide wheels and narrow tyres providing lots of stretch...ussually seen on vauxhalls, VW's, Audi, etc..etc...sport compact young kids love this look in Europe and now the US as well it seems to a point.

Alternately the lowrider community has embraced this style BUT they prefer smaller wheel diameters and wire wheels using the same narrow tire stretch on the wheel concept...plus they like tires with more sidewall so they can hop.

Kamil is not indroducing a new concept here...I think the question here that most folks are debating is the style application to the SL55...whether or not this particular car and marque are suited for this type of setup...
Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sunir
Kamil's style is popular amongst the European "Tutonic" or "Tecknik" crowd...wide wheels and narrow tyres providing lots of stretch...ussually seen on vauxhalls, VW's, Audi, etc..etc...sport compact young kids love this look in Europe and now the US as well it seems to a point.

Alternately the lowrider community has embraced this style BUT they prefer smaller wheel diameters and wire wheels using the same narrow tire stretch on the wheel concept...plus they like tires with more sidewall so they can hop.

Kamil is not indroducing a new concept here...I think the question here that most folks are debating is the style application to the SL55...whether or not this particular car and marque are suited for this type of setup...

i understand where your coming from sunir...but it is not only sport compact europeans which love this look..

have a look on the jap forums..500+bhp skylines, 350z etc all run stretch tires for drifting purposes as well now...

Kamil - your strech is pretty aggressive, how do you find it when throwing the car into corners? it must give way a little no?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i understand where your coming from sunir...but it is not only sport compact europeans which love this look..

have a look on the jap forums..500+bhp skylines, 350z etc all run stretch tires for drifting purposes as well now...

Kamil - your strech is pretty aggressive, how do you find it when throwing the car into corners? it must give way a little no?
Car is very easy to throw around in corners and goes sideways like it's going out of style, however I dont like wasting my new tires and don't like to be hard on the car.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
mf1

2003 sl 55 amg, 2010 RRS TDV8
I like the look of the car. And those rims are.. WOW !!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mf1
I like the look of the car. And those rims are.. WOW !!

THANK YOU
Old 05-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Ran SRT-10,2007 S550,2016 E400c
Sick man!!!!! To each there own.. Way to push limits!! I had something like this in mind for a old c-280 i had but never did it... I think it looks great very aggresive
Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 AM

Bmw, MB
Hello.
I need the original part number of carbon spoiler on trunk
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM

I'm at a loss why put a 245 tire where you can put a 295 Or 305??

I understand it's hard to make you sl stick out from the crowd when it's silver but that's gonna get attention for sure..... If that's the attention you want, i guess you accomplished your goal

I can't see it from my house so congrats!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:07 PM

2010 C300, 2012 Mustang
ehhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CL55, Range Rover, Lexus LX470
Hello-
I like your wheels a lot the lip is awesome, however I think that your tires are not wide enough for the wheel, they should fit flush against the lip of the wheel. Other than that and just by glancing at the pics, she looks nice. I can't recall though, did you get those tire sizes on purpose or are you going with a 295 or 305 series tire later?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:57 AM

SL500 R230
i think the car looks angry (in a good way)
these cars are quite feminine with the oval-ness and overall smooth curves
i like that you gave it an aggressive stance