SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: NEW WHEELS ON MY RIDE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
NEW WHEELS ON MY RIDE

Hey,

After many nay sayers and listening to people who would not push the limit on an aggressive wheel fitment on OUR cars I decided to go ahead and go where not a lot of people have gone before. My project is coming along and the next thing that the car will probably see is a SL63 rear bumper conversion with a nice Carbon Fiber Diffuser.

I hope you all like this setup, It took me a lot of time and cross fingers to put this setup together.

Thanks to all the guys at DPE for making this happen along with a great forum member that sold these to me.

ENJOY

Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the wheels and tires sticking out from under the fenders? From the pictures it looks like its protuding out the fender wells. If you like them I like them.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM

CLK550
i'm a nut for cars w/ aggressive wheel fitment and your definitely pulls it off well. i know it's not the style for most MB owners, but i love what you've done. looks great, kudos! what suspension are you running? using spacers? if not, what are your wheel specs?
Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by modoindustries
Are the wheels and tires sticking out from under the fenders? From the pictures it looks like its protuding out the fender wells. If you like them I like them.
Yes they are sticking out they are on stretched tires as well that is the look I'm going for. For some it's nice for others if fugly;however, for me its AMAZING.

Originally Posted by 07_CLK550
i'm a nut for cars w/ aggressive wheel fitment and your definitely pulls it off well. i know it's not the style for most MB owners, but i love what you've done. looks great, kudos! what suspension are you running? using spacers? if not, what are your wheel specs?
Just lowering links for now, no spacers. Wheel spec info coming
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

CLK550
Oh yeah, and tire specs too.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
It has a tutonic style, popular in europe stretching a narrower tire over a wider wheen to stretch out the sidewall. I think it's a bit too aggresive because it sticks out of the wheel arch, not good for performance of the tire as well, an optimal rim width fitment has a squared off shoulder for best performance and contact patch in straight line (accel and decel) and load charecteristic (sidewall load and flex) in cornering.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Nice...I like it a lot! The step up lip is a really aggressive look...:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Sorry, I am not a fan of this look, except for maybe some old school VW/BMW. To me, I see a few problems:

1.) It looks like you have wheels from some other car that don't fit, or the wheel manufacturer messed up your order. I understand that isn't the case, but to me it just seems like you are bashing a square peg into a round hole.

2.) It has a bit of that ghetto hooptie low rider look to it, too - which doesn't help.

3.) It's counter-functional. Your wheels will rub and just overall it takes away from the drivability of the car, something the SL55 prides itself on have a lot of. You're going to have a whole lotta this:

You posted here obviously looking for opinions, and this is mine. Give me a flush wheel any day of the week.

-m
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks to all that like it. If you don't like it that is fine, but posting why these wheels look bad or what I will loose performance wise is not necessary. I knew what I would secrifice going with this setup, performance wise. I didn't buy my SL55 for it's performance, I bought it because I wanted a car that looks good and can be even made into a better looking ride.

Thanks again for all opinions.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Opinions will vary but put that aside for now, you have set yourself up for major fender damage when you hit a good to average pothole. Your wheels now have zero room for suspension to properly do it's job. Those protruding wheels/lips are certain to be cracking ALL (4) fenders @ some point in your near future...

I can't believe they sold them to you, unless they thought they were solely to be used for lowrider car shows? It's an accident in the making...

Last edited by Thericker; 05-17-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
Opinions will vary but put that aside for now, you have set yourself up for major fender damage when you hit a good to average pothole. Your wheels now have zero room for suspension to properly do it's job. Those protruding wheels/lips are certain to be cracking ALL (4) fenders @ some point in your near future...

I can't believe they sold them to you, unless they thought they were solely to be used for lowrider car shows? It's an accident in the making...
I bought the wheels new from a forum member not made for this car, I ordered new lips to make the wheels look and stand the way I wanted them too. This is my car at its lowest setting, I drive the car with the stance higher than in the picture, So as far as rubbing goes or hitting the fenders I definetly have enough room to not have that happened. I'm getting the rear fenders rolled this weekend and probably will sit the car down even lower.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:51 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Thanks to all that like it. If you don't like it that is fine, but posting why these wheels look bad or what I will loose performance wise is not necessary. I knew what I would secrifice going with this setup, performance wise. I didn't buy my SL55 for it's performance, I bought it because I wanted a car that looks good and can be even made into a better looking ride.

If you bought it to look good why would you cheapen the look with wheels that don't fit properly.
I like the wheels. Your ride would be 100 times better if these wheels fit better.
Hey, I like wheels with some aggressiveness. Right there on the edge of the fender would be cool and beefy. But sticking out like that is just not appropriate for a car like this. I'd do it on an older muscle car but not this.

On the other hand, you're the only one that has to like it. Nothing we say really matters...or does it. Everyone likes their work to be admired. That's why we do this.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
If every car looked the same, it would be a sad, boring world it would be . Whos to say whats right or wrong?? Its a neat look, very exotic.
(its deffinately got some lowering adjustments done and some wide-*** wheels)
Old 05-17-2010, 09:31 PM

2005 350z Roadster
I like the front, not crazy about the back.

Wouldn't stop me from driving it though
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
As the prices drop on these cars the more they are being bast-ardized. So sad.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by okbarnett
If every car looked the same, it would be a sad, boring world it would be . Whos to say whats right or wrong?? Its a neat look, very exotic.
(its deffinately got some lowering adjustments done and some wide-*** wheels)

Thank You

Everyone has a different style and an eye towards a project they want to create. How else would you be able to call your car your project? If you just took a picture of someone elses and did the same exact things. I think the idea of the forum is to share ideas, styles, and help on any given car. I don't think criticizing someone else work and someones car is a way to go, if you like it great if you dont all you have to say is that it's not your cup of tea and that is it. If you look around my posts you don't see me going around criticizing other cars;however, if you look at some of the other members posts, all you see is criticism.

I'm not bashing on anyone, I'm just saying how I feel. Let's not make this thread a battle of who is right or wrong. I posted on here to share not to be lectured on what is right or wrong.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 AM

2007 SL55 AMG
Not a bad look at all. I don't think it's overdone like some others. I love how big that lip is. Looks like I could fry an egg there.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
I like it. When you get your fenders rolled they'll probably be pulled out a little more to cover the tires better.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
BTW, do you mind posting what're the wheel and tire spec?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wheels itself look great, love the stepped lip. I would prefer it a little less "extreme" with the rear fitment, but I appreciate the amount of work and time that it took to make it fit. TC
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
Originally Posted by FLSL55
As the prices drop on these cars the more they are being bast-ardized. So sad.

+1000
Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by kamilclk430

kamil, with all due respect, you can't just throw up these pictures on a public forum and expect nothing but peaches and cherries with no criticism. I said I didn't like it, and gave my reasons why. That doesn't mean you should change it, but as a public forum where people are free to express their opinions, I expressed mine. If you can't deal with criticism, especially with the look you have and know will generate a lot of, then you shouldn't have gone with that look in the first place.

Also - I don't think you have to go to the extreme to which you have gone in order to be "different" nor do I think it's good to go to extreme lengths in order to be "different". There is often a reason people don't do certain things to/with their cars, and therefore makes that "different" path unattractive to them.

-m
Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
kamil, with all due respect, you can't just throw up these pictures on a public forum and expect nothing but peaches and cherries with no criticism. I said I didn't like it, and gave my reasons why. That doesn't mean you should change it, but as a public forum where people are free to express their opinions, I expressed mine. If you can't deal with criticism, especially with the look you have and know will generate a lot of, then you shouldn't have gone with that look in the first place.

Also - I don't think you have to go to the extreme to which you have gone in order to be "different" nor do I think it's good to go to extreme lengths in order to be "different". There is often a reason people don't do certain things to/with their cars, and therefore makes that "different" path unattractive to them.

-m
Who is to tell me what look I should go with and what I should not go with??? I know this is a public forum, I joined this forum to be a helpfull hand to some of the other board members when they needed it; however, everyone is different and joins up for different reasons. I can take the criticism, I don't mind it, but is it really necessary to go into detail? You either like it or you don't, with all do respect, aren't you one of the guys that was told that the BBS wheel will not work on your car? and you went and still did it??? Let's not even get into how the wheels lays on your car vs mine, mine fits and sits on my car the way I want it to fit and sit, yours does the same for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
How does it drive compared to your OEM SL65 wheels?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Kamilclk430,

At least your car doesn't look like these ones.

Honestly, 3 years ago it would be very hard to find pimped out SL's. Now they are becoming more and more common.

Ruins the classy looks and kills the resale of the body style IMHO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: NEW WHEELS ON MY RIDE