SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: BIG MISTAKE -- SL55 v. BOXTER S -- BOOOOO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Interestingly I heard it referred to as "Croc" by friends that own them. Your buddy must not.

he's more of a GT3 RS guy...goes to a lot of road course events with PCA...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
many consider the cayman S to be the best car produced by porsche.

Fairly light, mid engined, great steering, etc.

Imagine a cayman with a GT3 motor. That would be an absolutely world beater.

gayman, cockster, whatever you want to call them, they are great cars.

The 911 is a flawed design thats been refined to such an extent that its become a great car. The boxster didn't need all that.

I don't care if porsche builds SUVs and such, as it allows them to continue to build great sports cars, but I bought a 96 because I wanted a car built in the more old school porsche way.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Sunir
he's more of a GT3 RS guy...goes to a lot of road course events with PCA...
Than he has been up against crocs I bet and knows what they are.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM

03 SL55,01 acura cls,05 lotus elise RIP
Originally Posted by FLSL55
Love,

Did you have to quote his whole message?
This had me laughing all afternoon.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:23 PM

CLK350
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Now here is a chick car.

Women's Top 10

. New Mini
. Mitsubishi Lancer
. Volkswagen Beetle
. Holden Astra Cabrio
. Toyota Echo
. Mazda MX-5
. Honda CR-V
. BMW 3 Series
. Peugeot 206
. Mercedes SLK 230
SLK is most definitely a chick car haha.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Everyone has there own taste. If your friend is anything like me, his mind is set on getting something that he really likes and no one will be able to convince him out of it. I would offer an opinion but don't push the matter... Let him get get what he wants.

That being said.... after he buys the boxter you can send him here

www,menseekingmen,com

Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
team, thanks for all the comments

my buddy is def on the ropes ... i send him an email with all of your posts every day

if i can find him an SL 55 in his price range and prove to him the Chrysler Service Contract is no joke

i think he will be a proud amg owner soon
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
Originally Posted by Oliverk
many consider the cayman S to be the best car produced by porsche.

Fairly light, mid engined, great steering, etc.

Imagine a cayman with a GT3 motor. That would be an absolutely world beater.

gayman, cockster, whatever you want to call them, they are great cars.

The 911 is a flawed design thats been refined to such an extent that its become a great car. The boxster didn't need all that.

I don't care if porsche builds SUVs and such, as it allows them to continue to build great sports cars, but I bought a 96 because I wanted a car built in the more old school porsche way.

911s are not a product of a flaw ... they are a product of a dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4exPauh5X_w
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I'd drive that new Boxster that comes with the Home Depot tarp for a roof. I bet I would be a blast to beat the bag out of.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 PM

2004 SL55
I guess it's a good time to crawl out from under my rock! I own both an SL55 and a Boxster S. I haven't really read everyone's replies on this thread, so apologies for any redundancy.

SL55:
1. Power-wise, blows the Boxster out of the water. It's not fair on any level.
2. Solid construction, leaning more toward luxury than sports

Boxster S:
1. Handling-wise, blows the SL55 out of the water. Light as a feather in comparison
2. Gets rattly, what with the motor behind your head shaking everything around you

They are both great cars in their own rights, which is why I have both. For those of you familiar with SoCal... the SL55 is suited for PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) cruising, whereas the Boxster is made for the Malibu canyon drives. The SL is classier and more powerful, better built from a luxury standpoint, and has a hardtop convertible that looks good both down and up. The Boxster is extremely girly, especially with the top down... but it really is a blast to drive and handles like no other (exception of the Cayman). It's like Tyson vs Ali; SL55 will give you whiplash, while the Boxster is extremely nimble and will outhandle the majority of cars on the road. And lastly... manual transmission. I love my SL55, but blowing through 6 gears in a sports car and being able to precisely modulate your throttle and rpm band is an entirely different experience.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others may agree/disagree. Different classes of cars, different tastes, different functions... it's really just a silly comparison at the end of the day. One's a yacht, the other is a go-kart.

Cheers,
-Long
Old 06-04-2010, 03:11 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
Originally Posted by azaka
I guess it's a good time to crawl out from under my rock! I own both an SL55 and a Boxster S. I haven't really read everyone's replies on this thread, so apologies for any redundancy.

SL55:
1. Power-wise, blows the Boxster out of the water. It's not fair on any level.
2. Solid construction, leaning more toward luxury than sports

Boxster S:
1. Handling-wise, blows the SL55 out of the water. Light as a feather in comparison
2. Gets rattly, what with the motor behind your head shaking everything around you

They are both great cars in their own rights, which is why I have both. For those of you familiar with SoCal... the SL55 is suited for PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) cruising, whereas the Boxster is made for the Malibu canyon drives. The SL is classier and more powerful, better built from a luxury standpoint, and has a hardtop convertible that looks good both down and up. The Boxster is extremely girly, especially with the top down... but it really is a blast to drive and handles like no other (exception of the Cayman). It's like Tyson vs Ali; SL55 will give you whiplash, while the Boxster is extremely nimble and will outhandle the majority of cars on the road. And lastly... manual transmission. I love my SL55, but blowing through 6 gears in a sports car and being able to precisely modulate your throttle and rpm band is an entirely different experience.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure others may agree/disagree. Different classes of cars, different tastes, different functions... it's really just a silly comparison at the end of the day. One's a yacht, the other is a go-kart.

Cheers,
-Long
if you could only have one car ... in socal what would you pick?????????
Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by bjr7141
if you could only have one car ... in socal what would you pick?????????
Dude, SL55 all the way!! haha, very valid point
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM

2004 SL55
Specifically to LA...

SL55:
1. Gets the chicks
2. Gets the front row valet parking spots

Boxster:
1. Gets the gay men hitting on you (warning: do not drive in West Hollywood if you are a straight male; disclaimer: no offense intended to homosexuals)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
This is not even a comparison. Boxsters are gay, I don't care how great the chassis dynamics are, they're just gay. That's fine of you like dudes and you just can't get enough poop chute, but if you're a discerning hetero male you can't get much more **** factor than a nice SL55.

P.S.- As someone who's lived in Soprano-land my entire life, I'm proud to say that one of my very first races was on New Dutch Lane.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by azaka
Specifically to LA...

SL55:
1. Gets the chicks
2. Gets the front row valet parking spots

Boxster:
1. Gets the gay men hitting on you (warning: do not drive in West Hollywood if you are a straight male; disclaimer: no offense intended to homosexuals)
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
it's ironic that the "gay" car should have the term "Box" imbedded in it's name...hmmm a bit 'o reverse psychology perhaps? lol j/k
Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' BMW M3
Originally Posted by Sunir
it's ironic that the "gay" car should have the term "Box" imbedded in it's name...hmmm a bit 'o reverse psychology perhaps? lol j/k
.......I found this whole thread amusing
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
bunch of insecure men in here.

The sl55 is a truck thats kinda fast. If all you want to do is impressive some gold digging hags (the smart ones know that 2004 SL55s aren't worth **** all), buy the SL. If you actually care about driving, get the boxster.

As to the 911 is the result of a dream bull****, not hardly.

Putting the engine behind the rear wheels is a flawed concept. Purpose built sports cars are mid engined. Its not a matter of practical, its a matter of physics.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 AM

SL500 R230
Originally Posted by Thericker
I say NOPE! This guy deserves to be in a BOXTER, prolly sits down to ****... (I bet the real arguement is in his actual amount to be spent, a similar mileaged 2003 Boxter w/50-60k miles will sell for $14k -$20k max)
i almost pissed myself laughing...hilarious
Old 06-25-2010, 01:45 AM

ML350
Love the thread.

Drive a Lotus Elise.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by Oliverk
bunch of insecure men in here.

The sl55 is a truck thats kinda fast. If all you want to do is impressive some gold digging hags (the smart ones know that 2004 SL55s aren't worth **** all), buy the SL. If you actually care about driving, get the boxster.
You, sir, are quite simply a buffoon for the ages. Just because you can't handle a car on the level of the SL55 doesn't mean you need to hang out in a forum about that car and bash it. Feel free to go back to the "Cockster" forum where you and all of your apple martini sipping, man purse carrying cronies can have long, fascinating discussions about how the Boxster/Cayman looks like something I crapped out after breakfast this morning.

Last edited by Brent72; 06-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
Originally Posted by Brent72
You, sir, are quite simply a buffoon for the ages. Just because you can't handle a car on the level of the SL55 doesn't mean you need to hang out in a forum about that car and bash it. Feel free to go back to the "Cockster" forum where you and all of your apple martini sipping, man purse carrying cronies can have long, fascinating discussions about how the Boxster/Cayman looks like something I crapped out after breakfast this morning.
HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHH Brent u are my hero but dude seriously.... a boxster? really? is it even a question? if your friend really needs help trying to decide between a sl55 and a boxster, he should have his license taken away. ide take my c class over the boxster any day of the week.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM

SL55
You know, maybe Oliverk is right. I mean, after all who would want a blazing fast 500hp luxury machine with one of the most beautiful exterior designs ever, a wicked exhaust note and a retractable hardtop that allows you to have both a coupe and convertible all in one when instead you could have a lawn mower with bug eyes that sounds like the fart app on an iPhone? Come on people, it's a no-brainer!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I love the SL55 and Oliverk was a little harsh...however the mid engine sports car config is the best on a road course period. Now if Porsche wanted to they could outfit a Cayman/boxter chassis with a very powerful engine and destroy almost anything on a circuit or the winding hillside roads many enthusiasts enjoy driving through. In terms of handling cars with a lighter weight and neutral biased front to rear and corner-weighted config with the engine inside the wheel base and low in the chassis drasticly improve front and rear roll centers, flex, and dynamic stability. This is not opinion it's fact.

Yes the SL55 is fast, yes it's beautiful, and it has a hardtop convertible...all things to love about it... BUT it is a grand tourer and not a true sports car in my book. You can feel the weight of the SL, it's very deliberate. It has a good amount of corner entry understeer and mid corner push, you can modulate the throttle effectively (reducing snap oversteer potential) on the outset of a corner and make it work but it's mass makes you really have to throw the car around and muscle it w/ its torque (no finesse, certainly not nimble) to make it work for you...it also uses up consumables like brakes, tires etc in quick fashion.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 PM

SL55
I just think comparing a Boxster to an SL55 is absolutely ridiculous in every way, shape and form. If you're going to compare the Boxster to anything in the MB line-up it would be the SLK, but comparing it to an SL is a complete joke and anyone who prefers the Boxster is completely off his meds.

It's funny because I was in my SL55 today and saw a dude in a dark blue Boxster checking out my car. All I could think was how happy I was to be in my car and not his!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: BIG MISTAKE -- SL55 v. BOXTER S -- BOOOOO