SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: special tool needed to fix supercharger chirp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 sl55 amg
special tool needed to fix supercharger chirp?

My 04 sl55 is at the dealership getting some warranty work done, one of which is fixing the supercharger squeek. They claimed that half way into taking apart the supercharger, they needed a special tool to complete the job that they didn't have and they needed to order the tool, which will arrive Friday. The dealership has been good so far, but it seems weird that they wouldn't have a tool needed to work on the supercharger. Any truth to this, or is it a cover for some mistake they made???
Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 AM

'03 SL55. Wife drives '06 SL500 and Range Rover Evoque
Mine here at Rusnak Mercedes in Pasadena told me it was an easy fix...(I was having a bunch of warranty work done, and on a test drive with the forman, I asked what that squeek was) but i chose to leave it alone...I kinda like the Idea of knowing if its working or not...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Just to clarify, it sounds like a supercharger clutch replacement. The chirp is the classic sign of a worn or wearing out SC clutch. If it is an SC clutch replacement, there are no special tools needed.

Here is a very good DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...h-install.html

The list of tools needed (from the link):
Tools needed
1. Torch
2. strap wrench
3. 15/16 socket and breaker bar
4. bench vise
5. 26mm socket (i think thats the size)
6. rubber mallet
7. keep old bearing you will need it to install the new on.

There is locktite on the center bolt and I have heard it can be a ***** to remove. Heating the bolt with a torch is the ticket.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 AM

04 sl55 amg
Hmm....I have a feeling they messed up something in my car. I don't really care, as long as it is fixed, but it would be nice to know what happened. I'm gonna call them out on the "special tool" excuse, and see if they come clean.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Here is a list of special tools used in the replacement. I am sure there are other ways to not use them, but I would imagine the dealer would have to follow MBUSA guidelines in the repair. I am not a mechanic though, so I do not know what they are used for.
Attached Thumbnails special tool needed to fix supercharger chirp?-123.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
remove the radiator shroud and use a impact wrench at 200psi and the bolt will undo itself. We tried the torch and strap wrench didnot work.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM

SL55 SL600 BMW850
heating the bolt with a torch might help, but didn't help us, and we used nice long wrench. removing radiator cover and impact wrench did it, just like previous poster said.
Merc has put considerable effort into making it as difficult as possible to get that 1 bolt off.

and imagine my happiness to find out the noise was coming NOT from the bearing that's attached to SC but from tension pulleys bearing. Thanks, Mercedes engineers, for making me almost lose my mind! Now I need to find out if they sell tensioner alone or I need to buy a pile of useless metal in order to replace a simple bearing!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM
B R

2010 Taco
Originally Posted by valgehiir
heating the bolt with a torch might help, but didn't help us, and we used nice long wrench. removing radiator cover and impact wrench did it, just like previous poster said.
Merc has put considerable effort into making it as difficult as possible to get that 1 bolt off.

and imagine my happiness to find out the noise was coming NOT from the bearing that's attached to SC but from tension pulleys bearing. Thanks, Mercedes engineers, for making me almost lose my mind! Now I need to find out if they sell tensioner alone or I need to buy a pile of useless metal in order to replace a simple bearing!
If the bearing can be replaced, just get the specs & call McMaster Carr, they probably have it.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by valgehiir

There are two belts I believe on the 55k engine. Each has it's own cheap plastic tensioner. Replace those at 5 years or 40k miles. Keep the old belts and tensors in the trunk. Spin the other pulleys to see if they make a noise. If so replace them. A little play is ok.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM

SL55 SL600 BMW850
thank you B R!
I will try to find the correct bearing that sits inside the tensioner pulley.
Strangely the outer wall of stainless steel bearing has eaten away the inside walls of the aluminium pulley, and bearing is pretty much sitting loose inside the pulley, that is where the rattling noise was coming from.. the bearing itself is shot as well, of course. At this point the aluminium pulley is ruined I'm sure ( bearing is totally free to move inside the pulley, instead of snug fit) so replacing the pulley or the whole pulley arm must be done
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM

SL55 SL600 BMW850
thanks, grane!
the tensioner pulley is so loose it feels it might fall off at any moment. it isn't just bearing, aluminium pulley is damaged by now. I must replace it.
Still, this is first 'major' repair other than reg maintenance and car has 120k km on it (80k miles) other than central locking pump this is the only issue I've had with this car. Not bad considering what 7 series BMW guys go throught!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55 2000 CL500
My SL55 went through that Dual Pully at about 50K miles. The Inner Bearing fried. When you order the part you get both Pulleys and bearings. The Aluminum and the Inner Plastic with the "Kit" they sell. As I recall its around $ 300.00. Really easy DIY project once you figure out where the Belt Tension "Bolt" is for the long belt. Mine had been making that bearing noise since I bought the car at 22K miles. It was so nice once it was fixed. Maybe a 20 minute project.