SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL500.65 BLACK SERIES PHOTO SHOOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
This is a Joke, if the Kit was quality made it would be made from the blends I described above or out of PURE Polyurethane 100% OEM quality, $24k for a 100% Fiberglass kit is recockulous!!!

If you guys knew how cheap this crap can be replicated after original Molds are made you'd flip... (I'm personally checking out a SL65 BS Hybrid kit tamara, supposedly made w/ Flex-Fiber/Dura-Flex) it lists for $11k for main parts, NOT inc install/paint.

If you folks want to believe this sharleton so be it, just google "Polyurethane vs Fiberglass body kits" or "Polyurethane body kits" then try "Problems w/Fiberglass body kits" You will see TONS of info... Knowledge is power, use it these Fiberglass kits will look like garbage in a year or less of reg driving thru potholes/ winter/summer changes etc..

Everyone remotely related to Fiberglass Industry will tell you 100% Fiberglass bodykits are cheap garbage, just look @ one after install w/OUT paint, there are major gaps, wavy-bends everywhere that have to be massaged w/gobs of Bondo/Body filler/trimmed/sanded etc...to fit decently.

That's why the Pure Poly kits cost so much, each piece is precisely made thru "Injection Molding"

Here's some more info from the Web, NOT my writing but MORE sound proof of what I speak...

Some of the down sides to installing a fiberglass body kit on your car include the uniformity of the body kit itself, the time it takes to install the body kit and the cost of installation. Body kits that are made of fiberglass, unless they are carefully hand laid, can have wavy patterns on them that create less uniformity in the body kit's appearance. Fiberglass body kits require more work to install. There is more prep work involved, such as cutting, sanding, molding, etc, in order to get a fiberglass body kit installed on your vehicle. More work installing these fiberglass body kits also means more money. The amount of work that your autobody shop puts into the installation of your fibetglass body kit will end up costing you more money than it were install a urethane body kit. Fiberglass body kits are also more likely to crack and damage than urethane body kits. They are less resilient to the weather so they can not hold up as well as urethane body kits do.

Urethane body kits: Urethane is made of reaction injection molded polyurethane. Urethane body kits are typically stronger and have more endurance than fiberglass body kits. Urethane body kits are generally easier to install than fiberglass body kits. Because they do not require as much prep work to install, they are easier to install directly out of the box. Body kits that are made of urethane are stonger than body kits made of fiberglass because the material is more flexible. With normal everyday road conditions, urethane body kits will endure more minor bumps as compared to fiberglass body kits. The sturdiness of these body kits also make them more resilient to weather conditions. Lastly, urethane body kits will tend to have a "cleaner" look than fiberglass body kits. Due to the way that they are made, fiberglass body kits can have waves in the bumper. Urethane body kits, however, will not come with those waves since they are not hand made. Body kit pieces that are made with urethane are more uniform and are consistent from one end to the other.

Upon the initial purchase of a urethane body kit, you can expect to pay a significantly higher price than if you were to purchase that same body kit in fiberglass
Urethane body kits are made from injection molded polyurethane, which is a material that is quite light in weight, very flexible and highly resistant to extreme weather conditions and rough roads. Body kit parts made from urethane are normally quite easy to install because of their elasticity and light weight. There are numerous companies that manufacture different types of body kits for different cars using superior quality urethane.

Here are few of the differences between the Urethane body kits and fiberglass body kits, and their advantages and disadvantages.

The urethane body kits are quite flexible and will not crack on light impacts or by road bumps. They can easily withstand the harsh climatic conditions – hot or cold. They can easily be prepared before starting the painting process hence costing you less money at the body-shop. They are also quite easy to install as they have the similar flex to the shape of the various body parts.

The fiberglass body kits are not that flexible and can easily crack on slightest impacts and bumpy roads. The material is also not quite resilient to climate and can easily get damaged in harsh conditions. It costs more to prepare and paint the fiberglass body kits. They are not at all easy to install as they almost every time need some cutting and sanding down in order to fit the part accurately.

In conclusion, urethane body kits are more durable and suitable for the harsh climatic conditions and road tracks that are bumpy and rough. If you live in a region that experiences different weather across the year and doesn’t have smooth roads, then you should certainly install urethane body kit.
Polyurethane is a flexible material similar to most of the original bumpers on existing automobiles. Most urethane body kit parts tend to be more durable and forgiving than fiberglass, and fit similar to OEM parts due to the nature of the closed molding process during manufacturing. Urethane products are heavy compared to fiberglass body kits, and when damaged they are much harder to fix. However it is much harder to break a urethane body kit than a fiberglass body kit. If you were to hit a curb hard with a fiberglass part it would probably crack or break. If you hit the same curb with a urethane part it would probably flex with the curb and not break. Though urethane body kits are NOT indestructable, they are more forgiving. In general, urethane body kits are more expensive than fiberglass body kits. However, they are recommended for the individual that wants OEM specifications for fitment and durability.

Featuring:

OEM type fitment
More flexible than fiberglass
More durable than fiberglass
Dura-Flex/Flex-Fiber
DURAFLEX technology is a revolutionary product which combines fiberglass, plastic, and flex resins to obtain its unique features. DURAFLEX products obtain a much higher durability rate than the average fiberglass product, reducing shipping damages up to 75%. Every DURAFLEX product is inspected through a rigorous quality control process giving consumers the highest quality product available with superior craftsmanship. This process ensures that DURAFLEX products are free from normal fiberglass deficiencies including waviness, spider cracks, chips, and gel coat damage. DURAFLEX products come finished with a shiny black gel coat, high quality mesh, hardware kit, and an installation guide. With such attention to detail, DURAFLEX products are surprisingly affordable, roughly 50% of the cost of a comparable high quality JDM product. DURAFLEX products include many advantages of both fiberglass and poly- urethane aerodynamics, while leaving out most of the disadvantages. In essence, our new DURAFLEX products will give you the highest quality product at the most affordable prices.
Also NOTE if you have Parktronic??? Do you see ANY Parktronic strips on these Fiberglass Bumpers? No.... Due to the added Complexity/labor/etc.. NOT easy task by ANY means to add Parktronic Poly-strips to these Fiberglass pieces...

So if you have Parktronic now, adding this Fiberglass kit will erase it from your list of OEM Factory options.

Then lets NOT forget... They just reuse The MUCH SMALLER OEM impact/energy absorber material that's installed directly behind OEM Bumpers, the huge new Fiberglass SL BS bumpers/sideskirts are several inches wider/deeper, what does that mean? Well in slightest fender bender these Fiberglass pieces will literally explode into a 1000 tiny shards totally unrepairable, Not to mention added safety compromise etc...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls baby
Originally Posted by Thericker
This is a Joke, if the Kit was quality made it would be made from the blends I described above or out of PURE Polyurethane 100% OEM quality, $24k for a 100% Fiberglass kit is recockulous!!!

If you guys knew how cheap this crap can be replicated after original Molds are made you'd flip... (I'm personally checking out a SL65 BS Hybrid kit tamara, supposedly made w/ Flex-Fiber/Dura-Flex) it lists for $11k for main parts, NOT inc install/paint.

If you folks want to believe this sharleton so be it, just google "Polyurethane vs Fiberglass body kits" or "Polyurethane body kits" then try "Problems w/Fiberglass body kits" You will see TONS of info... Knowledge is power, use it these Fiberglass kits will look like garbage in a year or less of reg driving thru potholes/ winter/summer changes etc..

Everyone remotely related to Fiberglass Industry will tell you 100% Fiberglass bodykits are cheap garbage, just look @ one after install w/OUT paint, there are major gaps, wavy-bends everywhere that have to be massaged w/gobs of Bondo/Body filler/trimmed/sanded etc...to fit decently.

That's why the Pure Poly kits cost so much, each piece is precisely made thru "Injection Molding"

Here's some more info from the Web, NOT my writing but MORE sound proof of what I speak...

Dura-Flex/Flex-Fiber

Also NOTE if you have Parktronic??? Do you see ANY Parktronic strips on these Fiberglass Bumpers? No.... Due to the added Complexity/labor/etc.. NOT easy task by ANY means to add Parktronic Poly-strips to these Fiberglass pieces...

So if you have Parktronic now, adding this Fiberglass kit will erase it from your list of OEM Factory options.

Then lets NOT forget... They just reuse The MUCH SMALLER OEM impact/energy absorber material that's installed directly behind OEM Bumpers, the huge new Fiberglass SL BS bumpers/sideskirts are several inches wider/deeper, what does that mean? Well in slightest fender bender these Fiberglass pieces will literally explode into a 1000 tiny shards totally unrepairable, Not to mention added safety compromise etc...

On a side note I would love to meet you, cause I would love to beat you.
Again you don't listen. We make POLYURETHANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you want to understand Poly is very good and we have the injection mold. Very strong, but once you break it you can not repair it. That part would cost you more. This would be ideal for bumper replacements.

Urethane has a flaw. Urethane absorbs paint eventually leading your parts in fading.

The better material would be OE AB. Which is a step up from pure plastic and handles like a urethane.

But not for this kit. If you knew how urethane worked you wouldn't be discussing how the kit should be made in urethane.

How would you mold the 1/4 panels in the frame if you have urethane?
Explaing that? You can't.

2nd of all do not try to educate us with your dura flex extreme dimension crap. They use a paper thing layer of fiberglass and a one stroke of gel. With flexible resin. That is it people

This kid obviously works for them.

I know our stuff, this is what we do. Hands down.

As for the park tronics we make that too depending on the car. The one you in the pictures is a 03 which hence would mean there were no park tronics.

You beat on Fiberglass while Corvettes still uses fiberglass as their top frames. What's wrong with you.

It all depends on material people and workman ship. We are not cheap and we don't provide cheap quality workmanship.

Here is a link of duraflex history

http://www.my350z.com/forum/exterior...x-fitment.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/interior...iberglass.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=4875176

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...body-kits.html

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?p=3211279

Last edited by marios13; 06-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM

cls baby
Originally Posted by eleven
i live in brooklyn so it shouldnt be a problem for me to come by
can you pm me the hours of operation?
as stupid as this sounds my main incentive for upgrading to an sl65 is to get the bs conversion...i just have to find the optimal kit which is why im being as skeptical as i am about the whole endeavor (not to mention that it is quite a bit of money to put down for something that might be sub par in any way)
pmed
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM

cls baby
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
I spoke to someone on the phone, forget his name but he had a very heavy accent and sounded like an older gentlemen, I was told the car isn't available for viewing.
Did you call around 7:20pm? yesterday last night? He probably thought you wanted to come by last night lol

Just let me know when you want to stop by.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by Thericker

What is that tamara kit ? Is Tamara a brand ??
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM

AMG SL55
What concerns me the most and has not been addressed by anybody is regardless of which kit is used and how good they look, how do they handle on the road in driving conditions, and I dont mean driving under 40 MPH, do they start vibrating at higher speeds, shake, rattle, roll? let us not forget my brothers we drive our babies we dont keep them under glass and only tow them to car shows, I want to know how thes kits perform and hold up in the real world before I would even consider any kit other than looking at pix and saying wow this looks hot
Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM

SL500 R230
this is becoming a total pain in the ***
i dont want to be the douche who gets it done and a couple months later it breaks
just for everyone to say "i told you so"
i want to believe mario but he has already lied on numerous occasions

he referred to sarona as "them" not "us" during the entirety of the first thread
then the bull**** of dropping off "his" car at sarona to get the kit done
the magical second mario at sarona who is obviously him to begin with
the constant props to "their" shop

it seems like there is too much bull**** involved
the only way i would cosign this is if i had somebody from my shop approve it
there is no way in hell that i would leave my car there
i just have an inkling that this is some scam

im thinking of taking a ride to queens, seeing it in person and taking pictures of the actual car from an unbiased viewer, posting them and hearing some responses

anybody know how much the tc widebody is going for?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM

cls baby
this is becoming a total pain in the ***
i dont want to be the douche who gets it done and a couple months later it breaks
just for everyone to say "i told you so"
i want to believe mario but he has already lied on numerous occasions

he referred to sarona as "them" not "us" during the entirety of the first thread
then the bull**** of dropping off "his" car at sarona to get the kit done
the magical second mario at sarona who is obviously him to begin with
the constant props to "their" shop

it seems like there is too much bull**** involved
the only way i would cosign this is if i had somebody from my shop approve it
there is no way in hell that i would leave my car there
i just have an inkling that this is some scam

im thinking of taking a ride to queens, seeing it in person and taking pictures of the actual car from an unbiased viewer, posting them and hearing some responses

anybody know how much the tc widebody is going for?
Your right about that and I apologies for that. We are now in the process of being a Vendor here on the forums so no sneaking around or beating around the bush.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM

AMG SL55
eleven, I'm the one that saw the car up close at the car show and said that overall it looked pretty good. You'll probably be looking at the same car. I'm a new yorker who always has his bull**** radar running full blast and am not a trusting individual, so if I were you besides looking at the car have them drive you in it down queens blvd with all the bumps and potholes and really see how it goes. That car may not have plates or be registered so if a street ride is not possible that would be a deal breaker for me as the guinnea pig is just a show car. good luck, let me know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM

cls baby
Originally Posted by GroovyMambo
eleven, I'm the one that saw the car up close at the car show and said that overall it looked pretty good. You'll probably be looking at the same car. I'm a new yorker who always has his bull**** radar running full blast and am not a trusting individual, so if I were you besides looking at the car have them drive you in it down queens blvd with all the bumps and potholes and really see how it goes. That car may not have plates or be registered so if a street ride is not possible that would be a deal breaker for me as the guinnea pig is just a show car. good luck, let me know how it goes.
Yes that sounds like a good idea, we have dealer plates. Let's go for a test run already, thru the potholes or in a pot hole if you like.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by marios13
Again you don't listen. We make POLYURETHANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you want to understand Poly is very good and we have the injection mold. Very strong, but once you break it you can not repair it. That part would cost you more. This would be ideal for bumper replacements.

Urethane has a flaw. Urethane absorbs paint eventually leading your parts in fading.

The better material would be OE AB. Which is a step up from pure plastic and handles like a urethane.

But not for this kit. If you knew how urethane worked you wouldn't be discussing how the kit should be made in urethane.

How would you mold the 1/4 panels in the frame if you have urethane?
Explaing that? You can't.

2nd of all do not try to educate us with your dura flex extreme dimension crap. They use a paper thing layer of fiberglass and a one stroke of gel. With flexible resin. That is it people

This kid obviously works for them.

I know our stuff, this is what we do. Hands down.

As for the park tronics we make that too depending on the car. The one you in the pictures is a 03 which hence would mean there were no park tronics.

You beat on Fiberglass while Corvettes still uses fiberglass as their top frames. What's wrong with you.

It all depends on material people and workman ship. We are not cheap and we don't provide cheap quality workmanship.

Here is a link of duraflex history

http://www.my350z.com/forum/exterior...x-fitment.html

http://g35driver.com/forums/interior...iberglass.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=4875176

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-4...body-kits.html

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?p=3211279
Careful what you wish for, you just may get it If ever in CA PM me I'll happily meet you in person for my beating

Originally Posted by marios13
Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

SL500 R230
man this is a benz forum
you guys are turning it into a facebook 13 yr old girl fight

im going to go to see the car
ill take pictures and post
and perhaps try to shoot a video
then at least the anger can be turned to something car related

lets have peace people

having said that...i dont know **** about the quality of kits or how they are supposed to be made (in terms of what is the best blend and stuff)...so ill try to take close pictures so that Thericker (who seems to know a vast amount about all this stuff) can give me his opinion.

Thericker,
can you give some particulars about the 11k kit that youve been talking about

thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
man this is a benz forum
you guys are turning it into a facebook 13 yr old girl fight

im going to go to see the car
ill take pictures and post
and perhaps try to shoot a video
then at least the anger can be turned to something car related

lets have peace people

having said that...i dont know **** about the quality of kits or how they are supposed to be made (in terms of what is the best blend and stuff)...so ill try to take close pictures so that Thericker (who seems to know a vast amount about all this stuff) can give me his opinion.

Thericker,
can you give some particulars about the 11k kit that youve been talking about

thanks in advance
Saw the Misha designs kit yesterday afternoon in person, met Misha/owner very nice guy. The kit looks good though it's not finished 100% still needs some massaging to be up to my standards, having said that it turns out it too is 100% Fiberglass kit w/thick Gel-Coat layer... At this time I have to be honest the kit isn't going on my SL, sole reason being? the rear 1/4 panels aren't 100% replaced w/Fiberglass 1 piece part like the front 1/4 panels are.

Instead they cut up the outside rear metal body/panel on your existing REAR 1/4 panels to make room for the wider wheels & graft on the larger flaired-out Fiberglass 1/4 arches over your now permanently cut up SL I own my SL, but lets say I get in a fender bender (very common in our day) & this Kit Co move on to another business or go out of business? Where would I source replaceable 1/4 panel?

The rest of the kit could be taken back to stock if something happened, but the rears are permanently ruined. I talked w/my bodyshop today they told me those rear 1/4's are welded to frame NOT easily replaced/removed, I'm guessing ALL these kits share this secret unless the extremely expensive $40k + kits coming out of Germany made from Pure Poly & have ALL oem pieces prof removed etc...

I wish Misha well, the kit looks good, but no way/no how am I cutting up my rear 1/4 fender/panels... Also I would doubt these Fiberglass kits (ALL of them) could hold up to any of us speed freaks, or repeated 1/4 mile/Autocross attacks...

Sorry but I have to relay the truth, the Misha kit is beautiful as is Sarona, but being made from 100% Fiberglass & cutting up your SL to fit them is NOT an option, also the OEM uses metal front fenders & hood, these kits replace ALL that w/Fiberglass I just don't think it'll hold up to repeated high speed/spirited driving...

Last edited by Thericker; 06-24-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Thericker as I understand every single BS replica kit cuts in to the rear quarter panels. Do you know of any company that actually replaces the rear quarter with an entirely new wider version?

In your research, what company uses the good material for their panels?

Do you know what material TC-Concepts uses for their kits? I know their black car has an actual carbon fiber hood and carbon fiber front fenders but I do know they also cut in to the rear quarters to add the rear fender flares. The fenders and hood might be oem unless they are replicating them in carbon fiber.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM

W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
IMO, the Misha kit is wayyyy too overdone.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 AM

SL500 R230
thericker,
thanks for the explanation
i personally think the misha kit is too fast & too furious for me
sarona and tc have it closer to the mark in terms of classy yet aggressive

i just saw on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-10...t_15944wt_1165

for 24k...you dont get the wheels or the headlights
wheels are an extra 10 and the headlights are 5
which would be 39k without the paint or labor!!!
i thought it was 40k and they went down in price

while here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...#ht_1353wt_939

its ~19k for the same thing from Latvia

i dont 1/4 mile or drag race so im not overly concerned with the upkeep
but i do live in NY
which has some garbage *** roads
if i were to go down this path, she would be a weekend/picking up broads car
my sl500 would be the daily driver
...even though with a wald body kit and 20's its low to the ground and completely impossible to drive in the winter
this is a f'in pain in the ***
i suggest we petition mb to price the original BS so that this bull**** can be avoided
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Mario the problem is you are not tc concepts nor does the work suggest it's up to tc concept standards. Now i would do tc concepts based on that pic.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC Coupe, S63L W222
Just curious guys how much would it cost to make the SL Black Series kit?

I have contacts here in the UK so can get it made cheaper.