SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I can't be the only one that's this anal, right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I clean my calipers every time I clean the car. Those big 8 piston Brembos are too handsome to let stay dirty.

I figured the neighbor was not a car guy. I am surprised that he doesn't drive a POS.

A few years ago I was detailing the F40 when one of my neighbors pulls up in a POS '80s Buick Regal w/rust and dents. As he is checking the car out.... he says nothing good about the car, or the 3 hour detail job I was in the middle of. Doesn't ask how the car performs, or anything remotely positive. Instead he chose to point out a tiny stone chip on the bottom of the front spoiler. I subsequently pointed out that he invited himself to my driveway, as well as the condition of what he drove up in..... I then kicked him out of my driveway.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
The nerve on some people...
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Thericker
Hmmm... yeah.. Hlighlighted text shows your DoucheLord geneisis That pairing of words would ONLY fall from "The DoucheLord's suck-hole" (your real-true forum handle)
take it easy, just because you have a slow car doesn't give you an excuse to be a DoucheLord wannabe.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 AM

2010 E550 Coupe Arctic White P2 Appearance
Talking

I always clean the back side of the rims, the calipers and the fender splash shields, it just gives the car that little extra that makes it stand out as a pampered Coupe.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I clean my calipers every time I clean the car. Those big 8 piston Brembos are too handsome to let stay dirty.

I figured the neighbor was not a car guy. I am surprised that he doesn't drive a POS.

A few years ago I was detailing the F40 when one of my neighbors pulls up in a POS '80s Buick Regal w/rust and dents. As he is checking the car out.... he says nothing good about the car, or the 3 hour detail job I was in the middle of. Doesn't ask how the car performs, or anything remotely positive. Instead he chose to point out a tiny stone chip on the bottom of the front spoiler. I subsequently pointed out that he invited himself to my driveway, as well as the condition of what he drove up in..... I then kicked him out of my driveway.
Dang Dino...why did someone driving such a POS live in the same neighborhood? hmmmn just sayin' property values getting low low low low low like the song haha just j/k bud
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl55
I think that I'm just as **** about my car being clean as the next sane automotive enthusiast and if I had the wheels off I would probably do the exact same thing as you. However, the older I get the more I realize how little those tiny details matter. Nowadays I drive the car, give it a nice professional wash once in a while and enjoy it without worrying about dirty wheels or calipers (among many other common annoyances). The truth of the matter is that nobody knows or cares that these things are dirty except for you and your car fanatic friends so if it's important to you to spend extra time to make it shiny and clean, go for it. Personally, I would much rather spend that time driving the car or doing something else that I enjoy.

It's a matter of dedication to one's hobbies. Either way, those are some super clean calipers.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

04 Sl55, 09 civic, 09 mitsu spyder(wifes), 97 Lx 450
One of the reasons I got rid of the oem starburst type wheels and upgraded to and aftermarket five spoke setup. Not only are you able to clean the calipers but it takes a third of the time. Now I cant wait to get the Akebonos pads and try the Amor All brake dust inhibitor. I use the Sl pretty much as an weekender and find myself wiping around the rims after a days ride.