SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I can't be the only one that's this anal, right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I can't be the only one that's this ****, right?

So, I had taken my 20's off a couple weeks ago to give them a good inside-out cleaning. I hate seeing dirty barrels, so the only real way to get them clean is to remove them. Well, I went to Disney, then it rained every day for a week straight, so I finally got a chance to put them back on.

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't stand seeing dirty brake components and wheel wells. So every time I swap wheels, I give my fender wells and brake components a good scrub down. A neighbor stopped by and saw me doing this:

He couldn't believe it. Told me I was a total freak show and nobody in their right mind would do something like this.

Please tell me you guys do the same thing. Right? Right?

BTW, I swapped out my chrome lugbolts for black powdercoated ones.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Your neighbor is a douche and you are a Real Enthusiast who take care of his car.

I love people taking an unusual care of things.That contribute to make a better and cleaner world.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
You're not alone. I do this often, I have space to reach in through my wheels.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350 2000 SLK230 Limited Edition Renntech stage 2 2003 SL55 AMG Renntech Stage 6
I clean my brake components and wheel wells on a regular basis. It gives a clean car that "finished" look. What kind of car does your neighbor drive?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Not what I was expecting when I clicked on the post. Thank god its about wheel cleaning.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Sorry guys, I'm not in on this one. If the premium carwash doesn't clean it, it's supposed to be dirty.

Wait, what? Did he say carwash? :P
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Definitely!! IMO brakes (nice BBK anyway) are one of the sexiest exterior components of a car, gotta keep them clean! And dirty barrels are a no no.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
+1 your neighbor is douchelord, I'd of given him some chin music &/or choked him out in frnt of his kids/wife...
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
mf1

2003 sl 55 amg, 2010 RRS TDV8
Don't worry 2 much. Ur doing it right. Car lovers are obsessed. So what ?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
So, I had taken my 20's off a couple weeks ago to give them a good inside-out cleaning. I hate seeing dirty barrels, so the only real way to get them clean is to remove them. Well, I went to Disney, then it rained every day for a week straight, so I finally got a chance to put them back on.

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't stand seeing dirty brake components and wheel wells. So every time I swap wheels, I give my fender wells and brake components a good scrub down. A neighbor stopped by and saw me doing this:

He couldn't believe it. Told me I was a total freak show and nobody in their right mind would do something like this.

I thought everybody did that. I know I do!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM

I do now. I couled get away without it with the stock wheels - but now clean calipers are a must
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG
Benz-O-Rama, I'm with you on that... Few days ago as my mechanic at the performance shop was mounting ceramic pads and braided lines, I spent around 20 minutes on each front calipers to make sure no dust residue was left...They were pretty dirty, and the dust was resisting...Less time on the rear.

By the way, I found that the Armor All "Wheel Protectant" works great on the Calipers and wheels to keep the dust away. http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33. It actually does not clean, it is used after wash as a repellent...and the stuff works amazing. I also used it on my Lowenharts, without any damage while on stock pads.
Since I am now switching to Ceramic, I hope I won't have that much dust...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Akebono is the way to go for no dust
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
[QUOTE=dynomite05;4227220]Akebono is the way to go for no dust[/QUOTE

I tried to get Akebonos for my wife's S550 but I cannot find the pads that fit the car. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I was doing the same thing just before I put the HRE's on.

next time I clean my calipers, I can see it now " (GF)Honey, why dont you come hang out with me.. (Me) I'd love to, but I've got to go clean my brakes."
Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Try Tirerack.com
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by DCMETRO22Z
Your neighbor is a douche
Originally Posted by Thericker
+1 your neighbor is douchelord
I'm his neighbor and I'm glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. You are douche bags, yes, you two.

So, I had taken my 20's off a couple weeks ago to give them a good inside-out cleaning.
back on topic:

I clean my S55's brakes when I clean the wheels. It's fairly easy to get at them through the stock twin-spoke wheels. The part of Benz-O-Rama's post I have a problem with is taking the wheels off to clean them. WTF? You are nuts and ****. **** nuts, that's you. Change your forum name now, please.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
I'm his neighbor and I'm glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. You are douche bags, yes, you two.

back on topic:

I clean my S55's brakes when I clean the wheels. It's fairly easy to get at them through the stock twin-spoke wheels. The part of Benz-O-Rama's post I have a problem with is taking the wheels off to clean them. WTF? You are nuts and ****. **** nuts, that's you. Change your forum name now, please.
LMAO....
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 AM

E320

back on topic:

I didn't Know S class drivers could be funny. Your username.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
The time to worry is when you extend your drive into your bedroom.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo

back on topic:

Hmmm... yeah.. Hlighlighted text shows your DoucheLord geneisis That pairing of words would ONLY fall from "The DoucheLord's suck-hole" (your real-true forum handle)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
LOL funny thread...I have to admit the only time I would clean the wheels by removeing them off the car is for a show or a big event or something...or if it were on a lift and the wheels had to come off...

Likewise with the calipers if it were for a special reason I might clean them with some brake clean and wipe them down then maybe put on some rejex or michelin repelant or something...never used armoral wheel proctectent so don't know about that product...

Clayton is very meticululous, that's why his car looks perfect, it's what everyone wishes their car looks like always. don't get me wrong he can drive the hell out of it but at the end of the day it's gonna go back to looking real nice, hat's off...that's a great degree of meticulous care more than many enthusiasts have in my estimate.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by azbenzguy
I clean my brake components and wheel wells on a regular basis. It gives a clean car that "finished" look. What kind of car does your neighbor drive?
He has an Infiniti M45 and Infiniti QX56. Not really a car guy.

Originally Posted by modoindustries
Not what I was expecting when I clicked on the post. Thank god its about wheel cleaning.
LOL....

Originally Posted by sprins
Sorry guys, I'm not in on this one. If the premium carwash doesn't clean it, it's supposed to be dirty.

Wait, what? Did he say carwash? :P
ARGH! Please see my paint correction thread to see what car washes are really doing to your paint!

+1 your neighbor is douchelord, I'd of given him some chin music &/or choked him out in frnt of his kids/wife...
HA! He's like one of my best friends on the street. He has a key to my house and the code to my garage. Super good dude.

Originally Posted by Tirreno
By the way, I found that the Armor All "Wheel Protectant" works great on the Calipers and wheels to keep the dust away. http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33. It actually does not clean, it is used after wash as a repellent...and the stuff works amazing. I also used it on my Lowenharts, without any damage while on stock pads.
Since I am now switching to Ceramic, I hope I won't have that much dust...
I've read good things about that product. I bought a can and tried it on the Range Rover. Didn't really notice that much of a difference. No chance is that stuff going on my 3pc forged wheels though.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I was doing the same thing just before I put the HRE's on.

next time I clean my calipers, I can see it now " (GF)Honey, why dont you come hang out with me.. (Me) I'd love to, but I've got to go clean my brakes."
My wife came out to bring me a beer. She looked at what I was doing and mumbled something about me loving the car more than her....

The part of Benz-O-Rama's post I have a problem with is taking the wheels off to clean them. WTF? You are nuts and ****. **** nuts, that's you. Change your forum name now, please.
Yeah man. With 3pc wheels, you really have to take them off to clean them good. There's just no real good way to get behind the register and clean the inner lip, connecting hardware, etc....

It sucks, but it's all part of the ownership experience I suppose.

Originally Posted by Sunir
LOL funny thread...I have to admit the only time I would clean the wheels by removeing them off the car is for a show or a big event or something...or if it were on a lift and the wheels had to come off...

Likewise with the calipers if it were for a special reason I might clean them with some brake clean and wipe them down then maybe put on some rejex or michelin repelant or something...never used armoral wheel proctectent so don't know about that product...

Clayton is very meticululous, that's why his car looks perfect, it's what everyone wishes their car looks like always. don't get me wrong he can drive the hell out of it but at the end of the day it's gonna go back to looking real nice, hat's off...that's a great degree of meticulous care more than many enthusiasts have in my estimate.

I'll only do this maybe 3 times a year. For some reason there was rubber all over the rear fender well though. For the life of me, I can't figure out how that got there.

I've only 'soap and water' washed it once this summer. My detailer turned me on to a product called Optimum No Rinse. This stuff is bad ***. Makes washing a black car in the summer (with burning hot sun) so much easier. And actually, the last 3 times I ONR'd her, I did it in the garage.

Youtube videos for it. I was skeptical, but the crap works great once you learn how to use it correctly, and have the proper tools.

DJ is still waiting for your car, BTW.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's the microfiber cloth after cleaning.

Also, here's the matte black powder coated lug bolts. iPhones don't take good photos in the dark, but you get the idea.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:13 PM

SLK55AMG, SL600

That is just attention to detail, and that is a must!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.