SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Baby !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of seven
New Baby !!

We have enjoyed our '04 E55 for years now and finally got the wife [and me ;-)] an '04 SL55. What an awesome car - form and function !!

2 Questions

1) I would like to either get a black carbon fiber kit or black wood for the door and center console (where the wood used to be - it's a silver, aluminum paint scheme now). Where can I order that ??

2) the SL55 does not seem as fast as the E55. I'm gonna take it in to the dealership to have it all checked out but am looking for your suggestions on what could be robbing us of power. I know cats can get clogged over time.

Interior with Silver Trim -

Cheers,

Michael
Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
The SL is 400-500 pounds heavier than the E55.

Most older Sl55's need a new IC Pump. You could be down 100hp due to this.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM

one of seven
Originally Posted by FLSL55

Thanks for that info ! It's at the dealers now and I have advised them to check that IC Pump out.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:11 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by mbprince
Thanks for that info ! It's at the dealers now and I have advised them to check that IC Pump out.

just curious, is the correct way to keep an eye on the IC pump with a ScanGauge II to watch the Intake air temp? mine seems to run between 135-145 degrees on hot Carribbean days
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by FLSL55

excellent advice check the pump ... I dunno about 400 - 500 lbs, maybe like 300 just guessing I thought the SL was around 4300 and the E was like just over 4000??
Old 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM

one of seven
Great forum advice, as always !!

YUP, it was the pump and the dealer has a new improved one, that will be in by 2 PM tomorrow !

Gonna have the injectors cleaned and new plugs along with the complete service. There should (hoping) be a great improvement in acceleration.

Did some web searching and it seems the E55 is around 4087 lbs. and the SL55 is around 4319 lbs.

So, ya'll are right again, the SL is about 232 lbs. heavier. I was guessing the exact opposite (4 door vs 2 door) !!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinto
THOSE 20' WHEELS SLOW YOU DOWN ALOT TOO..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 PM

one of seven
Originally Posted by Viet_Amg408
THOSE 20' WHEELS SLOW YOU DOWN ALOT TOO..
lol .............. only in reverse !!
Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 PM

LS460 Daily Driver
Great forum advice, as always !!

YUP, it was the pump and the dealer has a new improved one, that will be in by 2 PM tomorrow !

good to know. I am in the market for an SL55. I drove an 03 the other day. Not having anything to compare it to, I can only think of putting it on a dyno. BTW, How much for the pump? Also, did the delaer do a dyno test and show you the results?

Last edited by mark_nimda; 09-16-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Mine put down 420+ stock and then 450+ with the pulley and tune. My dyno is in the link below.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 AM

one of seven
Originally Posted by mark_nimda
good to know. I am in the market for an SL55. I drove an 03 the other day. Not having anything to compare it to, I can only think of putting it on a dyno. BTW, How much for the pump? Also, did the delaer do a dyno test and show you the results?
If you've never driven the 5.5 Kompressor model, a dyno is not a bad idea. I knew something was wrong because I have the same engine in my E class and was using the 'butt dyno'. lol

The IC Pump is a know issue on that engine. I know enough to be dangerous but, when the temp gets high enough the Kompressor (supercharger) stops working and you have a N/A 5.5 liter engine with much less HP.

After many hard pulls in a row, the pump (even when working properly) can't keep up, the temps get too high and the power goes away. That has only happened to me once as I'm pretty easy on the car.

There are aftermarket pumps and kits that work better than the stock system but I am just keeping it stock for now. ymmv
Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 AM

04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
comment on the interior, get the carbon fiber interior, it makes a big difference, nice updated look vs. wood. one of the vendors on the forum has them, DCT Motorsports I believe. I got mine second hand from another member on this forum and it's looking really cool. Careful when you pop the trims off though, the door panel does have to be removed and the trims are removed from the inside, DO NOT try to pry the trims off, you WILL BREAK the three clips next to the handle, they are plastic and they are locked into the door panel. You have to pound them out from the inside of the door panel piece, so you have to unscrew the whole door panel to get to these trims without damaging them. I think they have a video on how to do this on their website or they actually posted on one fo their threads. Remember to post some pics after you are done. I think they did one on AMGFAN's SL, great looking interior.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 AM

one of seven
Originally Posted by erichen
comment on the interior, get the carbon fiber interior, it makes a big difference, nice updated look vs. wood. one of the vendors on the forum has them, DCT Motorsports I believe. I got mine second hand from another member on this forum and it's looking really cool. Careful when you pop the trims off though, the door panel does have to be removed and the trims are removed from the inside, DO NOT try to pry the trims off, you WILL BREAK the three clips next to the handle, they are plastic and they are locked into the door panel. You have to pound them out from the inside of the door panel piece, so you have to unscrew the whole door panel to get to these trims without damaging them. I think they have a video on how to do this on their website or they actually posted on one fo their threads. Remember to post some pics after you are done. I think they did one on AMGFAN's SL, great looking interior.
Thanks for your input !! I love the CF look but the wife wants the black ash wood like we have in our E55 and I'm fine with that !! Gotta keep her happy.....

I will have the dealer do it !!

Now, I just have to figure out how to get our phones blue-toothed up with the car as there is no factory phone, but, I understand that it should have the fiber cable (pre wired) for the upgrade.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM

LS460 Daily Driver
If you've never driven the 5.5 Kompressor model, a dyno is not a bad idea. I knew something was wrong because I have the same engine in my E class and was using the 'butt dyno'. lol

The IC Pump is a know issue on that engine. I know enough to be dangerous but, when the temp gets high enough the Kompressor (supercharger) stops working and you have a N/A 5.5 liter engine with much less HP.

After many hard pulls in a row, the pump (even when working properly) can't keep up, the temps get too high and the power goes away. That has only happened to me once as I'm pretty easy on the car.

There are aftermarket pumps and kits that work better than the stock system but I am just keeping it stock for now. ymmv
I live in south FL and an IC not working properly would absolutely kill the power in any FI Car