SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 gets it -from an M5!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
I think at this rate, Cadillac's idea of a 1000HP sedan does not look as far fetched as it did last year.

Ted
But they had a V16, something extremely unproportional. ANd reliability, well who wants a car that turns into a half million dollar sofa after a year.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marta
Originally posted by vraa
But they had a V16, something extremely unproportional. ANd reliability, well who wants a car that turns into a half million dollar sofa after a year.
yea, i think that v16 is just something aimed at the benz V12, just trying to outdo them, but V12 should be the largest in my opinion.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by ajayz
yea, i think that v16 is just something aimed at the benz V12, just trying to outdo them, but V12 should be the largest in my opinion.
Yeah, we had this talk before when B.G. says something about

My nword Baby gettin' a special built machine
A Mercedes Benz 700 V14
I know you *****z can't believe that
I can't wait to see ya haters face when ya see that
Man look at that

in the sone Bling Bling by Cash Money/B.G.

Pocholin asked if it were true because he saw one, but its a fake. just rebadged.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:04 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by dNA3D
A M5 weighs just a tad under 4000lbs, an SL55 weighs just a tad over 4400lbs. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt a Supercharger would add on 400lbs to a car's weight. And aerodynamics, a highly overrated component of a car's performance. Yes, AMS somehow managed to clock 32.5 seconds to 300km/h using a 476HP SL55, which beat a Lamborghini Diablo with 100HP more. Yet other road tests show the SL55 with 493HP to be significantly slower than the car AMS tested. Forged results? or simply a case of AMG supplying AMS with a boosted car. You decide.

FYI, all of BMW wheels weigh less than the AMG Monoblocks. Heck, 18" BMW wheels weigh less than 17" Monoblocks.
Stop believing at face value what people on board members type the BMW M5 board members are specifically biased when it comes to bloating figures (not that I can blame them). The SL55 has a CURB weight of 4235, the M5 has a UNladen weight of 4024 you need to add roughly 160 pounds to get the CURB weight that brings you up to 4184 pounds, stack on 200+ pounds for the supercharger and your already well past 4400 pounds for the M5.

HP does not automatically equally a better top speed. Gearing, and Cd also play a very large factor, the SLs simply put is far superior than most cars on the road even the M5s even with the top up the Cd is better than the M5s. That should give you an idea of how much better it is. If you think aerodynamics are overrated then you really should read up on how aerodynamics affect a car. I'll give you a simple test. Tell your dad to take his car in Brunei as fast as he would dare and pop open the window then ask him how stable a car is then, Cd really plays at higher speeds cruising at 60 mph will have little to no effect on a car.

AMG monoblocks are relativley light... M5 double spokes weigh around 22-25 pounds each.

From the dynos I have seen SL55s dyno at 400 rwhp and M5s can dyno anywhere from 300-340 earlier M5s are especially prone to lower HP figures.

As for your comment about the Murch vs the SL dont forget to factor in AWD drivetrain loss (23%), what about the CLK-GTR clubsport? its top speed is around that of the SL55s who do you think would actually win the race to that speed though? It pushses 700+ hp 800+ feet of torque and comes in at 2200 pounds.

Your comments about a boosted car provided for those tests has already been debunked numerous times. The Renntech test was clearly biased, that should even be obvious to someone as young as you.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55
I love these arguments because they go on and on forever. Yet there is no end. Both sides would be relentless until they stand in as #1 of everything.

To the M5 arguments, I would like to say, congrats on a 600+HP car. But in actuality the chances of anyone coming across one is slim to none. I doubt the owners of M5s on the M5 board are waiting in line to slap down $20K for that RMS kit. I think at that point most would trade the car up for a used 996TT. Afterall if you want that much power wouldn't you want a car that is better balanced so that it can corner?

To the SL arguments, advertisement claims constantly change. God knows I am sure somewhere since the introduction of MB, there must have been a claim for it's previous cars as being "the fastest" at the time. Which in itself is also a moot point. Cars are supposed to improve in all aspects, so it would not surprise me that the next car (in this case the SL65) will cream everything in sight. So read the fine print "fastest production" at this point in time.

And to simply end it all, what if some kid took a Mitsubishi EVO and pumped 600Hp out of it...wouldn't everyone in here just be very quiet? Sounds like to me everyone is so hung up about power.

Honestly of all my cars, when I go out driving in them, I don't think "oh this car is quicker". Matter of fact, I become one with the car, and hardly take notice to competition. Besides I really have to say that the chances of me coming across a car that is faster than mine is very minimal. VERY MINIMAL.

Enjoy.

Last edited by reminder99; 05-20-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thats the fun reminder99! Arguing is so fun even more so when just a tad bit emotion is involved because most of it is in jest. And its great to vent anger too. It's just when the mud slinging starts is when it gets out of control. So far so good i guess.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:02 AM

2011 Porsche Carrera GTS, 2009 BMW 750Li, 2011 Ferrari 458, 2011 SLS AMG, 2012 C63 AMG BS
I have both in my garage right now. I certainly do not feel the E55 is faster. The car feels lighter but not quicker. If anything, my SL feels faster and and accelerates harder. I have no reason to make this up since I have both cars. They serve different purposes but the SL feels faster. I have been told that this could be due to different final drive ratios between the two cars. Otherwise the hp/weight ratio are almost identical, slight favor to the SL55.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 AM

ML 500 Sport
It's great to hear fromsomeone with direct experience with both cars. It has always baffled me why others have not taken gearing into account when discussing these "quicker" issues.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Honestly...it is kind of ridiculous to compare a highly modified M5 to a stock SL55. I don't want to speak for Gustav...but I think he posted the videos here to playfully instigate a debate (good job Gustav).

I am a car nut....I love well engineered...beautifully designed... high performance automobiles. The M5 and SL55 both meet that criteria but offer two totally different driving experiences. If the SL55 were the same price as the M5.....I would have jumped at the SL55 in a heart beat. The M5 is a high performance bargain (almost insane to say that at $72k+ out the door). The M5 is for someone who either wants an all in one high performance car or for someone who needs a sedan but doesn't want to compromise performance when not driving their sports cars. On the other hand, the SL55 is more about luxurious...stylish cruising. The SL55 is one of the most beautiful designs out there (in my opinion..the M5 is a looker as well). The unfathomable performance of the SL55 is more like an added bonus.

I guess what irks SL55 owners (proponents) in this debate...is the comparison of their car to a perceived "lesser" automobile. I am not sure that moniker should apply.... but the two auto's should not realistically be compared. However, the M5 is based on a 5-Series platform...which is more plebian when compared to the SL platfrom.

I wish I could have both sitting in my garage but right now there isn't any room between the M5 and the X5 4.6is.

Tom
Old 05-23-2003, 02:52 PM

SL55
Tom, Terrence,

Well said.

Though I would like to add another point....Gustav....would it be called a major *** spanking if a 1000HP Supra went up against that M5? Why don't you go post that video over at the Supra forum...you will get chewed up and spitted out in a second. I can almost certainly guarantee you that anyone of those members would love to go up against the M5. Not too mention I also know of other "lesser" cars that would be more than willing to get into that challenge.

As said...these "indirect" comparisons (M5 vs SL55) are really pointless, but well if we're going to get into it...then take my comments above and see what happens.

James

Last edited by reminder99; 05-23-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
It's great to hear fromsomeone with direct experience with both cars. It has always baffled me why others have not taken gearing into account when discussing these "quicker" issues.

...........I think most people on this forum understand that gearing does affect a car's performance. This not a big secret. Regarding the E55, it makes no sense to adjust the gear ratio in a car that already does 0-60 in 4.2 secs and quatermile in 12.4 secs the same numbers as the new dodge viper, yet a 4 door sedan. As far as the SL55 "feeling" faster, yes differences in gear ratio can result in one car 'FEELING' faster than the other. This is why it is best to let per5formance numbers speak for themselves. I love the SL55. I think the onluy issue is that the way the car was marketed makes it attracts comparisons with the E55 because the E55 from all published data so far is faster. What does this mean........nothing, except that if one was bent on buying the the fastes production benz, then it will be the E55 not the SL55. Enjoy your car!

Ted
Old 05-23-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by terrence
I have both in my garage right now. I certainly do not feel the E55 is faster. The car feels lighter but not quicker. If anything, my SL feels faster and and accelerates harder. I have no reason to make this up since I have both cars. They serve different purposes but the SL feels faster. I have been told that this could be due to different final drive ratios between the two cars. Otherwise the hp/weight ratio are almost identical, slight favor to the SL55.
The most obvious reason why you "feel" like the SL55 is faster than your E55 is because the SL is much lower to the ground. Your brain perceives the ride differently bacause your eyes are focussed closer to the pavement and your SL55 reacts differently to every imperfection on the road compared to the much taller E55.

For example, in a go-cart you feel like you are doing 45mph when in reality you're probably only doing about 25mph.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
The M5 can't be compared to the SL55, they are totally different cars. A better comparison would be with the E55 or the S55, they are four door sedans and cater to the same type of buyers. The SL55 is a roadster.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:50 AM

Too Young To Drive
Frankly, you can compare anything you want - it's just if the comparison between the two cars is fair or unfair. I could compare a E55 AMG with a Daihatsu Charde if I wanted to, but then the comparison would be pointless because it simply isn't fair.

All the video illustrates is that a mildly tuned M5 can handily beat a stock SL55. Isn't that simple enough to decipher?
Old 06-01-2003, 10:53 AM

996 Turbo
No I dont think you can compare *anything* you want to. Take a look at the M5 vs Z06 threads on the BMW M5 forums and you will see them paint a different story. Cars are built for different purposes and with different customers in mind. Heck why not compare a Viper RT-10 against an M5 or E55?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Originally posted by FInality
No I dont think you can compare *anything* you want to. Take a look at the M5 vs Z06 threads on the BMW M5 forums and you will see them paint a different story. Cars are built for different purposes and with different customers in mind. Heck why not compare a Viper RT-10 against an M5 or E55?
I agree, who in their right mind is going to compare an AMG with a Diahatsu or Hyundai, come on.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by TMC M5
Honestly...it is kind of ridiculous to compare a highly modified M5 to a stock SL55. I don't want to speak for Gustav...but I think he posted the videos here to playfully instigate a debate (good job Gustav).

I am a car nut....I love well engineered...beautifully designed... high performance automobiles. The M5 and SL55 both meet that criteria but offer two totally different driving experiences. If the SL55 were the same price as the M5.....I would have jumped at the SL55 in a heart beat. The M5 is a high performance bargain (almost insane to say that at $72k+ out the door). The M5 is for someone who either wants an all in one high performance car or for someone who needs a sedan but doesn't want to compromise performance when not driving their sports cars. On the other hand, the SL55 is more about luxurious...stylish cruising. The SL55 is one of the most beautiful designs out there (in my opinion..the M5 is a looker as well). The unfathomable performance of the SL55 is more like an added bonus.

I guess what irks SL55 owners (proponents) in this debate...is the comparison of their car to a perceived "lesser" automobile. I am not sure that moniker should apply.... but the two auto's should not realistically be compared. However, the M5 is based on a 5-Series platform...which is more plebian when compared to the SL platfrom.

I wish I could have both sitting in my garage but right now there isn't any room between the M5 and the X5 4.6is.

Tom

Excellent post - Well put.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:28 PM

I know this BMW. Its based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and its 550+hp Hamman M5. This guy has raced several exotics including Diablos, 911 turbos, and several Ferraris and beat them all.

One thing though, this guy has never raced a car from ZERO, he only starts racing at speeds over 60+mph???? So much for standstill grip.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:08 PM

SL55
hllatif,

You have a good point. I wonder how the cars would perform if it were from a standstill launch.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:22 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
Uahah

Thank you very very much - the german AMG recing clique enjoyed it very much. Bad quality and bad comparisions are all you can see in that video.

Is there a young boy sitting in a murcielago who doesn´t know how to switch to the second gear?

In germany we only compare cars with same type of engines f.e. V8 vs V8 and V12 vs V12. Otherwise the comparision is totaly unfair. Compare that BMW M5 with a Mercedes CLK DTM, a CLK-GTR V12 or a McLaren Mercedes Formula 1 car. I am sure the BMW will lose. If the engines are not equal then the cars should be part of the same category (like Audi S4 V8 and MB C 32 V6).

Next time this BMW M5 should race against the new SL of the sheikh of brunai Thats an insider information - can´t tell you how much HP he´s got Remember: there is allways some1 who´s faster than you!

Take that BMW and race it against Mohammad bin Sulayem´s C 32 on the track in Hockenheim (Germany) and we´ll see. It´s not only steppin on the gas...

Regards,
Old 06-18-2003, 11:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021
Guys... Thats Not Stock M5!!!

Her its the Story...

I am from UAE, & that car owned by someone from the ruler family in Saudia Arabia.

His M5 is upgraded not stock, so belive what you see in the video.

STOCK M5 IN THE DREAM BEAT STOCK SL55 ///AMG.....

Also while you are watching the video you will find out its impossible the M5 run such as far distance from the SL55 which can be compared with 911 or Ferrari Modena performance...

People Arround her can upgrade even Honda Civic to be more faster than Ferrari F50.....

Upgrade aftermarket mean= cheating...

Thats it

Last edited by Tariq; 06-18-2003 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
absolutely right, in saudi arabia, they supercharge camels and you should watch them go!!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
DECEMBER 2003

Videos should be out for all to see! Nowak N500 M5 has been officially invited to ruff up against our local boy's highly modified 996TT

Ladies and gentlemen...... THE CHALLENGER!

Last edited by Ahmed; 06-03-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:11 PM

SL55
Ahmed,

That is a beautiful piece of machinery. Did the Nowack owner accept this challenge? Did you go post it on the bmwm5.com board? When is this challenge going to take place?

I am getting truly excited over this. Someone will have their *** handed to them.

Curious, but what mods are lurking beneath?