SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: TEXAS MILE LATE UPDATE (NOTHING NEW)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
TEXAS MILE LATE UPDATE (NOTHING NEW)

I havent posted in while but I am still working on making this car faster and better.

I was the only guy from the Speedriven group that made it. Marcin, Bernie and Marco were all tied up.

I got my car back from Marcin the day before I left for Texas. We had been working on a different turbo setup, software, shift points, rich afr, higher flowing heads etc...

Marcin had told me that the tranny has finally started going south. In fact it did give us a little hint last Texas Mile but we ignored it.

Any way I only managed high 160s. Tranny was slipping wish would trip the ecu to limit boost to 45Hg (hg-atmosphere/2=psi...or close enough).

I did pull a freeze frame that showed 6400 rpm. So rev limiter/shift points have been successfully been moved up or so it seems. With the cold weather in Chicago it was difficult to really do any hardcore test drives.

The plan is already in place for how to beef up the tranny. Also will be widening the rear fenders to accommodate the 335s and offcourse adjusting the metrics to go along with increased diameter.

So no 200 mph this time.

I did see Jerrys team (Eurocharged) with a beautiful CLS55 that did 171 and a black SL65 with a flash that did 166...I think.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
I havent posted in while but I am still working on making this car faster and better.

I was the only guy from the Speedriven group that made it. Marcin, Bernie and Marco were all tied up.

I got my car back from Marcin the day before I left for Texas. We had been working on a different turbo setup, software, shift points, rich afr, higher flowing heads etc...

Marcin had told me that the tranny has finally started going south. In fact it did give us a little hint last Texas Mile but we ignored it.

Any way I only managed high 160s. Tranny was slipping wish would trip the ecu to limit boost to 45Hg (hg-atmosphere/2=psi...or close enough).

I did pull a freeze frame that showed 6400 rpm. So rev limiter/shift points have been successfully been moved up or so it seems. With the cold weather in Chicago it was difficult to really do any hardcore test drives.

The plan is already in place for how to beef up the tranny. Also will be widening the rear fenders to accommodate the 335s and offcourse adjusting the metrics to go along with increased diameter.

So no 200 mph this time.

I did see Jerrys team (Eurocharged) with a beautiful CLS55 that did 171 and a black SL65 with a flash that did 166...I think.

I can't believe almost 200 thread views and no replies. I think what you are doing is epic regardless if you haven't cracked 200mph yet. While everyone is racing 1/4 miles. You are going far beyond what anyone will do in their lifetime, and thats seeking out 200mph+ it takes some big stones to not only do that, but even bigger to try.

Speedriven is a great group. They got some great minds behind the scenes. In fact, me being part of the Dyno-Comp team, we are thrilled to have and offer Speedriven products in Arizona.

Please keep, keeping us posted on all your progress its a great read and for some of us... The only way we will get to enjoy the experience.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Supra
^Agreed on all points. You and the Speedriven group are really blazing the trail here for the rest of us.

Congrats,
Jay
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I heard you were having tranny issues, but its all part of the game bud. Just get up and keep taking hacks at it. I am planning on attending if my projects ever completes. Maybe this year, next year, but I do know one of these days I will make it, so don't feel discouraged at least your car is running and best part you have Marcin and the speedriven guys right there with you.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
Hey JC got your texts the other day. I left you a message, but I will call you later on tonight. Keep cooking I am right there with you. Who knows October could be the time the barrier (200) goes down! Testing the new setup in May is the plan for me.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
jc did you get the removable roller installed with the 4 point harness? i would love to see some pics
Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
It was good seeing you again, and we both know your going to nail it in october!!!

Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Hey JC got your texts the other day. I left you a message, but I will call you later on tonight. Keep cooking I am right there with you. Who knows October could be the time the barrier (200) goes down! Testing the new setup in May is the plan for me.
Good luck with the new setup! We are skipping the may event, too ungodly hot for us!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
x

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
jc did you get the removable roller installed with the 4 point harness? i would love to see some pics

Not sure of your question (I have a 5 point). Car has been certified for the unlimited class at the Texas Mile as of a year ago. 4 point harness is not acceptable in any racing org that I know of. You can look thru my pics for more clarity.
------------------------------------

Tranny will have the drum shaved to fit another clutch pack and possibly mod the valve bodies and anything else we trip up on. Contacted Prior design about JUST getting the rear bumper and fenders(subtle flares) to accomodate wider tires. Not interested in whole kit or the super aggressive black series fenders. Head work is proving to be difficult and risky without going into a million details.

Last edited by soulsearcher; 03-31-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: x
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM

2004 E55

I own the SL65 you saw. Turns out, the intercooler pump was completely inoperative and the intercooler fluid was almost completely gone! And it *still* ran 166mph. Can't wait to see what it runs when it is repaired.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Happy2th
I own the SL65 you saw. Turns out, the intercooler pump was completely inoperative and the intercooler fluid was almost completely gone! And it *still* ran 166mph. Can't wait to see what it runs when it is repaired.
Good meeting you.

Yeah those pumps failing are a given.

Ive been dragging my feet about shipping the car to Florida for the Tranny mods (Busy).

I did bid on a Heffner TT lowered Gallardo but did not get it. Its probably still listed.

Anyway, maybe we'll get to see what your SL will do in Oct (or this month?).
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55AMG, SL600
JC well it is getting close and I hope it is not to darn hot. Will make sure to line up early for the coolest weather. I will give you a call and keep you updated.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM

2004 E55
Good meeting you.

Yeah those pumps failing are a given.

Ive been dragging my feet about shipping the car to Florida for the Tranny mods (Busy).

I did bid on a Heffner TT lowered Gallardo but did not get it. Its probably still listed.

Anyway, maybe we'll get to see what your SL will do in Oct (or this month?).
October.

I will have my TT Gallardo there as well.....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
jc i was just guessing at the restraint. im wanting to see any pics of the rollcage and how its installed . is it removable?