SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Toe links installed ~~~ wiggle A$$ Gone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birel Shifter,2003 Ferrari ,1992 Mercedes 500E,Superformance Cobra,2005 SL55, 2004 996tt X50 PCCB
Toe links installed ~~~ wiggle A$$ Gone!

I recently installed EvoSport Toe Links as a fairly straight forward DIY and it literally transformed my 2005 SL55 from a “wollowy” GT into a Sports Car!
I have previously owned an ’07 SL65 and the only complaint that I ever had about the car was the strange lack of tracking on hard acceleration and slight uncertainty under all aspects of “throttle on” cornering. The same is true on the SL55 and I took a chance and spent what seemed like an inordinate amount of money ($1000) on these heim jointed rods and would never go back.
The install was pretty simple and obvious once the car was on the rack. No need for major disassembly of anything really, simply remove the rear tires and then the exhaust clamps to shift the exhaust out of the way (note that there is also a bracket just behind the rear diff that conjoins the otherwise separate exhaust sections, just one bolt) to gain complete access.
The inner portion of the stock “links” have one each male and female torx bolts (this is where the stock “toe” is adjusted). The outer portion of the factory toe link just has a single thru bolt where it attaches to the outside suspension knuckle by the rear caliper. Just 3 readily apparent bolts on each link and you are ready for the new parts.
The install of the new parts are just the same in reverse order. Whole job is 2 hours tops all done!
Once installed and tires are on the car, you need to set the toe (as close as possible to the eye) by loosening the jam nuts on the threaded rod (that will be obvious) by twisting the “rods” on each side until the wheel points straight forward (then retighten the jam nuts). It is unlikely that you will get it perfect so go straight to your favorite alignment shop and have the car realigned (my local Les Schwab charged only $90).

As an aside, I am running Kleemann TS-6 Wheels 19x9 and 19x11 with 315’s in the rear (yes they fit) and the LoMo2 lowering module set at -6 F & R.
I can’t say that the SL handles like my NSX or S2000 but I can say that the SL55 now actually “feels” way more like a “sports car” and not just a brutish GT.

I whole heartedly recommend this as nearly an essential upgrade.

Special thanks to Simon @ EvoSport, Cory @ Kleemann and Hooley/Ken @ LoMo for their help and all the contributors of this forum!

Cheers!

Brian P.
Seattle

Pictures here (I hope!) http://imageshack.us/g/543/mercedes006.jpg/

Last edited by seattlekleeman; 06-01-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Vendor incorrect
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
18 Titan XD 13 Cayenne TT 13 BMW HP4
Thanks for the write-up. These are on my to-do list.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11' E220 CDI
We need pictures!