SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101

Convert the 03 button shifter to paddle shifters;
First of all, I was doing alot of concentrating and wasnt in the mood to take pictures of everything. It took 2 days to figure this out, but some people have never figured it out so I guess there was a little success from it.
Its not for everybody. If you have some mechanical and electrical skill youll probibly be sucessful. If you dont want to try to do it your self I think there are a few dealers that will do it. I know DCT can do it. They converted my wheel to carbon fiber and also recovered the back to finish my button to paddle job.
This is the system. The buttons are 2 switches. the down is normally open and the up is normally closed. The newer paddles are 2 normally open switches.
There is no practical way to convert the NO to NC. So I didnt try. The most practical way is to use the old switches with the new paddles.
Taking both mechanisms completely apart you see that the old switches are on 2 pc boards with a black button as the switch. You see that the new paddles have a slim button and no other parts. The old pc board will almost fit in the paddle housing and the button will be in place to contact the paddle when depressed.
You have to transfer all the old shift button mechanism to the new paddle housing and everything must fit and function.
So off you go.
If you make one mistake you have to buy new parts.
You must cut the old rectangular panels down to fit back into the wheel plus the new paddle mechanism must fit into it. You must also grind down the aluminium wheel frame to allow extra depth for the new paddles switch part to fit down into. And you must line up and drill a hole thru the inside of the wheel to accept a screw to hold on the paddle mechanism.
To cut and fit the pc board you need to use a dremel with a cutting wheel and a side cut bit and also a razor knife. You have to cut only the board and not cut the printed circuits. You must round off the outer corners of the board so the tabs of the paddle wont hit it. You will see all the workings as you go.
You line it up so the black button is contacted by the paddle. You can use a ohm meter to see if it accuates the buttons.
After I had everything assembled and working I held the edges and wires down with a little silicone to keep it all in place.
After you get the mechanism assembled you have to extend most of the wires. You keep them in tact back to the plug that goes into the columns socket. The same wiring set up as when the buttons were in place.
The new paddles are held with the new screw you put in . Be careful to pick the right length , maybe 3/4 if I remember and it cant he tightened so it cuts thru the mounting hole and contacts the pc board.
I also epoxyed the 4 cut rectangular panels into the wheel and filled the joints with epoxy and then sanded them off. I sent the wheel to DCT to convert it to carbon fiber. And had them recover the back to cover up the rectangles then I cut the opening for the paddles when I got it. So it would look factory. You can stop at the rectangles and use them with out covering the wheel. You have to see the rectangles but it may not bother you.
Attached Thumbnails Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3288.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3600.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3604.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3793.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3583.jpg  

Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3796.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
pmercury (08-06-2020)
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I see a business opportunity here for you.

They send you the parts; and you make it work. It's just labor on your part.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ill leave that for DCT
Old 06-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
good work.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Excellent!! Congrats...something I will do when I get some time.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
good mod. paddle switches are around 100. i did this on my car 2 years ago and they are still working fine.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 AMG SL55, 2002 AMG CLK55, 2002 AMG ML55, 2005 ML350, 1995 S320 LWB - totaled
Well Done Sir!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Great DIY....thanks!

I have converted a whole pile of 63 paddles for SL65 and E55 owners on these forums. I have done them all electronically by replacing the micro switch in the up paddle and making wiring changes. The one thing I never liked about that conversion was the two paddles had a slightly different feel and I'm **** so it bugged me.

I gave this method a shot on my SL55 wheel and I am very happy with the results. It is far more straight forward then going after the electronics and the best part of all is that the up and down paddles feel the same.

I would highly recommend this mod and trowing in an MP Designs or better yet, a CLK63 BS steering wheel at the same time.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:08 PM
SPONSOR

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
W211 Estate
pictures~

Originally Posted by okbarnett
Convert the 03 button shifter to paddle shifters;
First of all, I was doing alot of concentrating and wasnt in the mood to take pictures of everything. It took 2 days to figure this out, but some people have never figured it out so I guess there was a little success from it.
Its not for everybody. If you have some mechanical and electrical skill youll probibly be sucessful. If you dont want to try to do it your self I think there are a few dealers that will do it. I know DCT can do it. They converted my wheel to carbon fiber and also recovered the back to finish my button to paddle job.
This is the system. The buttons are 2 switches. the down is normally open and the up is normally closed. The newer paddles are 2 normally open switches.
There is no practical way to convert the NO to NC. So I didnt try. The most practical way is to use the old switches with the new paddles.
Taking both mechanisms completely apart you see that the old switches are on 2 pc boards with a black button as the switch. You see that the new paddles have a slim button and no other parts. The old pc board will almost fit in the paddle housing and the button will be in place to contact the paddle when depressed.
You have to transfer all the old shift button mechanism to the new paddle housing and everything must fit and function.
So off you go.
If you make one mistake you have to buy new parts.
You must cut the old rectangular panels down to fit back into the wheel plus the new paddle mechanism must fit into it. You must also grind down the aluminium wheel frame to allow extra depth for the new paddles switch part to fit down into. And you must line up and drill a hole thru the inside of the wheel to accept a screw to hold on the paddle mechanism.
To cut and fit the pc board you need to use a dremel with a cutting wheel and a side cut bit and also a razor knife. You have to cut only the board and not cut the printed circuits. You must round off the outer corners of the board so the tabs of the paddle wont hit it. You will see all the workings as you go.
You line it up so the black button is contacted by the paddle. You can use a ohm meter to see if it accuates the buttons.
After I had everything assembled and working I held the edges and wires down with a little silicone to keep it all in place.
After you get the mechanism assembled you have to extend most of the wires. You keep them in tact back to the plug that goes into the columns socket. The same wiring set up as when the buttons were in place.
The new paddles are held with the new screw you put in . Be careful to pick the right length , maybe 3/4 if I remember and it cant he tightened so it cuts thru the mounting hole and contacts the pc board.
I also epoxyed the 4 cut rectangular panels into the wheel and filled the joints with epoxy and then sanded them off. I sent the wheel to DCT to convert it to carbon fiber. And had them recover the back to cover up the rectangles then I cut the opening for the paddles when I got it. So it would look factory. You can stop at the rectangles and use them with out covering the wheel. You have to see the rectangles but it may not bother you.
You shall post some pictures of the whole steering wheel installed. The front view to see the paddles in the back!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Brabus SL55 K8
Very nice job
Old 09-18-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes Ivan, I know you want to show off that great looking wheel!
Attached Thumbnails Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3805.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3808.jpg   Converting shift buttons to shift paddles, 101-hpim3809.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
W211 Estate
Originally Posted by okbarnett
Yes Ivan, I know you want to show off that great looking wheel!
Ha~ that is my purpose
The car look really nice with the complete carbon interior
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 PM

-
Amazing!

Is there any way I can have functional paddles in my 2004 SL600? I already have a factory CLK-Black steering wheel with paddles installed. DCT if you have a solution, please feel free to PM me!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:41 AM

sl55
Is there anybody out there who could sell me their sl55 shift "buttons" after doing this mod? please please let me know I cant find them anywhere...It is ok if they are missing the electronics.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:32 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Not the only way to do this conversion

Sorry for bringing an old post alive, but You can in fact soldier wires from the paddle’s pcb to your old button pcb, and tuck it the old pcb behind the airbag. No need to butcher your aluminum paddles. I can post pics if you need help.

-Nic Wright
Old 08-04-2020, 06:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Originally Posted by NicWright
Sorry for bringing an old post alive, but You can in fact soldier wires from the paddle’s pcb to your old button pcb, and tuck it the old pcb behind the airbag. No need to butcher your aluminum paddles. I can post pics if you need help.

-Nic Wright
Nic - pictures you can share? How did you get it to fit in old holder area? Like what is mentioned above?

thanks Mick
Old 08-04-2020, 08:48 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_55_cruiser
Nic - pictures you can share? How did you get it to fit in old holder area? Like what is mentioned above?

thanks Mick
yeah, I can post some pic when I get back to my shop. Hang tight!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Originally Posted by NicWright
yeah, I can post some pic when I get back to my shop. Hang tight!
thank you. I appreciate you sharing
Old 08-06-2020, 06:17 AM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ing-wheel.html