SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Tunes and upgrades to gain HP??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG, Aston Martin V8V, 350Z w/twins, GL-450, LS-460, HB (1-off) Shelby SVT Cobra, 67 Camaro
SL55 Tunes and upgrades to gain HP?? Evosport vs. Eurocharged

I am new to this forum, but not a stranger to it. For many years I have enjoyed reading, learning and laughing at the comments and courteous (sometimes not so) replies to those posting questions for in hopes of the advice and wisdom of those willing to provide it.

On to the question. I have found and done a fair amount of research regarding ECU upgrades, Pulleys, HE and Pumps, Headers, Injectors and the like. There is certainly many companies with a long history and whom hold good reputations, however does that mean a newly formed company (or perhaps just not in business as long as the others) are not qualified? I find myself in a quandary over this - does the highest price mean the highest quality? In my business it does not, but we are not the cheapest out there either nor the most expensive. Though my business is in a completely different realm, should I hold a real concern if I were to choose EVO, Eurocharged, Renntech, Kleeman or any of the other popular choices?

I realize it is all about an individual’s opinion, and choice but… for example if you Google “Revozport complaints” you will find them in a practically unlimited capacity. That being said I have also heard a few good things from satisfied customers, just not that many. In light of that, respectfully I would most like to see the comments of those who have had successes and a continued relation with a vendor and were satisfied ultimately with the result and if expectations were met, right along with those who have had dealings that did not work out or were perhaps mislead - or.. be it as it may - got shafted. This is not a poll, nor am I trolling.

I genuinely would like to know the good the bad and the ugly, before I invest 20-40K building ehem.. or rebuilding the car (body and engine) I would like to see MY SL55 become. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by OICU2; 06-29-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I can only comment on tuners that I've used:

OE Tuning (Jeremy) - Has been fantastic and I'm currently running his ECU tune on my SL600. Never had one problem with it. The car runs like stink at WOT, and is smooth as butter when I find myself driving like I have some sense.

Eurocharged - Equally fantastic in my experience, and was the ECU tune I was running prior to my Jeremy Tune. Only reason for switch, was at the time, Eurocharged didn't offer a TCU tune, which I needed to get bigger HP out of my ECU tune. Never had 1 problem with my Eurocharged tune on my SL600. I'm still running a Eurocharged tune on my E500, and have logged close to 60K miles on it. Never ever had a problem with it.

Speedriven - Currently running their TCU tune on my SL600. I've only dealt with them briefly, post tune, but no problems whatsoever with them.

That's all I can offer.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM

SL55 AMG, Aston Martin V8V, 350Z w/twins, GL-450, LS-460, HB (1-off) Shelby SVT Cobra, 67 Camaro
Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated. I have noticed that Eurocharged has some unique products not seen elsewhere or offered by other Tuner Retailers. I have seriously considered Evosport 1+2 and all the extras, one nice thing though about Eurocharged is they are only a few hours away and they also offer a tune for My Aston Martin V8 Vantage. My AM dealer wants 2X times the money... yes they are adding a new intake etc.. however Eurocharged has claimed considerably more HP gains than AM proper. I have stared endlessly at Renntech and cant seem to understand what it is about them that allows them to get buy with "twice the price" upgrades, when the majority of the parts that are sold are just "retailed" one example would be the "In-Mirror" radar detector / Laser Jammer system that is $1000 over everyone else - for the exact same product. I suppose in the end (for me) it is and will be the level of confidence I feel from those willing to share experiences. For now it may be easier to just ask the question..... EVOSPORT or EUROCHARGED? and assume that every option will be purchased and installed (except NOS) - what say you?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by OICU2
Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated. I have noticed that Eurocharged has some unique products not seen elsewhere or offered by other Tuner Retailers. I have seriously considered Evosport 1+2 and all the extras, one nice thing though about Eurocharged is they are only a few hours away and they also offer a tune for My Aston Martin V8 Vantage. My AM dealer wants 2X times the money... yes they are adding a new intake etc.. however Eurocharged has claimed considerably more HP gains than AM proper. I have stared endlessly at Renntech and cant seem to understand what it is about them that allows them to get buy with "twice the price" upgrades, when the majority of the parts that are sold are just "retailed" one example would be the "In-Mirror" radar detector / Laser Jammer system that is $1000 over everyone else - for the exact same product. I suppose in the end (for me) it is and will be the level of confidence I feel from those willing to share experiences. For now it may be easier to just ask the question..... EVOSPORT or EUROCHARGED? and assume that every option will be purchased and installed (except NOS) - what say you?
we can definitely help you with both cars, and give ya a package discount as well. Being local is also a very key point, as support is quick and easy if you ever need it.

Also, with all our tuning offerings, you get free reflashes for the life of the car (non-dyno) so you always have the best software should you continue to mod the car any more.

Feel free to pm or email me with any questions...

here is our aston customer reviews...
Old 06-29-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
You may want to check out our site... www.veloceperformance.com

We have standard performance solutions for your car, as well as the ability to dial in whatever set up you want. Check out our testimonials page to see what others are saying.

One of the big differences is that I am enthusiast that actually owns these cars, not just selling products. No set ups are offered for sale unless I drive and approve the performance parameters.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM

I think that hearing directly from the forum users and their respective experiences is a key element in my (and most others) decision making. As consumers we live with our decisions and I don't know any custom / performance shop that will refund any money if their claims don't add up to what was sold. In my opinion (I read the fine print) there are 1000's of ways to disclaim any factor of performance and there really are not any guarantees outside that of buying a car right off the dyno.. other than that all we (consumers) have is a collective voice to share our experiences and results from relationships we have built in pursuit of our objectives.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by loungn14
we can definitely help you with both cars, and give ya a package discount as well. Being local is also a very key point, as support is quick and easy if you ever need it.

Also, with all our tuning offerings, you get free reflashes for the life of the car (non-dyno) so you always have the best software should you continue to mod the car any more.

Feel free to pm or email me with any questions...

here is our aston customer reviews...
Package discount?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
Package discount?
ok lol?

+1 for Eurocharged, top notch customer service, top notch tunes!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged always offered me a money back gaurantee if I wasn't satisfied with my gains. Right there on the dyno.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Eurocharged always offered me a money back gaurantee if I wasn't satisfied with my gains. Right there on the dyno.
I guess they would want all their parts back though
Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Package discount?
give us a call at the shop and we can chat

exactly, your not happy you dont pay for the tune, simple as that.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by loungn14
give us a call at the shop and we can chat - exactly, your not happy you dont pay for the tune, simple as that.
a full refund - nice going!

For the first go-round my intended mods are as follows:
180mm Crank Pulley
Heat Exchanger \ Johnson CM30 Pump
Kleemann Long Tube Headers (primary cat and resonator delete)
80/82mm Throttle Body
Larger Injectors and Fuel Rails
ECU / TCU Tune
Carbon Intake
Carbon Inlet Tubes
Carbon Engine Cover > for massive HP gain
SL63 Rear Bumper and Valance
Ride Height Adjustment Control
Vossen CV2 20" Wheels (just got them!)
Super White LED Side Lights
Complete Matte "Black Out"
... and an iPod connection
I am probably missing something...........
Old 06-30-2011, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

180mm Crank Pulley
80/82mm Throttle Body
ECU / TCU Tune
Carbon Intake
Carbon Inlet Tubes
You're gonna need more cooling with those mods.

You missed the split I/C circuit with rear reservoir.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM

You're gonna need more cooling with those mods.

You missed the split I/C circuit with rear reservoir.
That did come up but I am lacking any data on heat increase (other than the obvious - compressed air makes heat) and was also of under the (perhaps false) impression the H/E would take care of that. I could be way off here. I am ashamed to say I don't know the base SL boost numbers or the numbers for 180mm pulley. My joys of tearing things apart have been limited to basic muscle cars.. I am not adventurous enough to actually work on anything even slightly exotic, I am not scared to have it done by professionals though.

.... so what should I be looking for as a solution? and can it be kept under the hood? and thanks so much for the great input / insight!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM

Ah, yes there was a comment in an email from Eurocharged about this cooling issue. There was a phone call after that and mention of something in the trunk.. I do not recall exactly... I do remember feeling a bit strange about plumbing something all the way to the trunk. I suppose there are necessary evils in this realm.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah, yes there was a comment in an email from Eurocharged about this cooling issue. There was a phone call after that and mention of something in the trunk.. I do not recall exactly... I do remember feeling a bit strange about plumbing something all the way to the trunk. I suppose there are necessary evils in this realm.

Ends up looking something like this:

Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM

Ends up looking something like this:

Reminds me of my college days when I re-routed the windshield washer hoses into the car to dispense beverage additives. I thought about working that into my dissertation but then decided to change that to forensic analysis instead - it proved to be a better decision. All joking aside who did that? That is a very clean job, first class work.
Really I can't thank you enough for the support!
Perhaps one day I can return the kindness.
I can be useful at times, when there isn't a bar stool under my butt.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55
"For the FIRST go round" ?

...HOLY SMOKES!! Get a baseline dyno before you embark on this adventure...it should be a blast!

180mm Crank Pulley
80/82mm Throttle Body
ECU / TCU Tune
Carbon Intake
Carbon Inlet Tubes
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by EsEl
"For the FIRST go round" ?

...HOLY SMOKES!! Get a baseline dyno before you embark on this adventure...it should be a blast!
It's official EUROCHARGED will take over Project "Black OPS" I'll be delivering the car in 2 weeks.. They will publish everything done... right here @ MBWorld. They will be adding some SL63 body options (not too much) but just enough to give it a little bit more flare.

As for the "first" go round.. I feel like it is better to jump right in the deep end. This is not my first project car, just the first MB. The guys at Eurocharged should have a lot of fun building it and I will have a lot of fun driving it. Next Project? SL63 supercharged??
Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM

Everyone knows there are tons of good choices out there for modding your cars engine or dressing it up, adding goodies.. you know.. the crap none of us have absolutely no necessity for but somehow cant live without it? Decisions to choose one thing over the other have been difficult for me because this project isn't as simple as putting disk brakes on an old Camaro or plopping in a crate motor in a muscle car. This is not a Chip Foose world and the investment is not something that goes without much consideration. I think for most, even those of us who have done similar things to 'other' cars, we get a bit nervous when thinking about "breaking the seal" on the oh-so-cherished AMG. Everyone knows what they cost, more than the cost of the average home - and in a lot of countries more than a person will earn in their entire life. It's not the same as the anticipation of that new set of rims and tires that you can't wait to see - the image in our minds of how great they will look. This comes down to a feeling. A throttle. Something no one looking at your car will ever see.

I have had kind remarks, good pointers, more PM's than posts I believe, but all spoken with genuine interest. So let's face it, there are a lot of people floating through here looking for something, just like me or you, or simply taking the time to check out what is going on with other people. Sponsors are not here without good reason, and I understand. People with similar interests are stopping by every day. I was not looking to have Vendors poking in saying "check out our website" or "hey we can make you a deal" nor do I think ill of them for doing it, after all that is the job of any business - to move the product.

And yes I know I am long winded but the point is none of us wants to make a mistake in choosing the product or vendor. I have total respect for the people who are making great products available to us "the buyer" - and sure they are in it to be successful but I will bet a dime to a dollar that practically all the names you are familiar with have a vested and passionate interest in the products the produce or sell. My hat is off to them all - God knows if they screw anything up it will make its way to this and probably every other forum out there. They are held to a damn high standard by a bunch of discerning and probably quasi-pampas asses just like me. So I have made my decisions based on many factors, but that certainly does not mean that I don't hold an equal respect to the rest of those working hard to make our not so necessary - but dammit I want it - dreams come true.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM

SL55, S560, GLC43
I have used DynoComp in Scottsdale AZ. They did a pulley, headers, ECU upgrade, TCM (transmission) upgrade. I bumped up to 630 hp and 750 tq at the flywheel. Total cost was around $6k
Old 05-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
For :

Pulley,
Headers
ECU
TCM

From us is right around $2k, You would be able to get them installed for under $1000.

We also have power packages with Belt wrap kit, Cooling upgrades, injectors, and intake options at various prices. Feel free to PM with any questions.