SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55/SL600 Buyer Checklist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
SL55/SL600 Buyer Checklist?

Hi,

Could not find anything on this topic on this forum, so I thought I'd start a new post. I am thinking of buying a used SL 55 or 600 (leaning towards the 600 with RennTech ECU/TCU and Lorinser skirts/lowering module), circa 2004-2005. I would love to hear from current SL owners about:

1) what to look for when buying a used 2004/2005 SL with about 40k miles on it. What are the items that break often and are expensive to fix?

2) Also, anything specific to the RennTech (I read that the OEM intercooler pump is something that breaks often - how do I check for this?)

3) Any thoughts on who you took your used car for inspection before making the purchase? Is an MB dealership a good idea (the car I am eyeing is being sold by a non-MB dealer). Or should you take it to an independent mechanic who specializes in imports?

Thanks!
SC
Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

2005 SL55 AMG
Hi SC,

I think you can do a little more searching and find a lot more on the questions you have, but here are a few starting points:

- Get the car inspected by someone who knows the r230s. Depending on your area, that may just be a dealer. Don't just go to someone who works on older Mercedes as the r230s have specific issues not found on older cars. Do not skip an inspection! And get as much information as you can on the service history. You should avoid a car without a service history.

- If you want the easy mods for big gains, get the SL600. Renntech has been reliable and offers good customer service.

- Most expensive to fix are the ABC suspension and the top. If the ABC is out there will be all kinds of warnings on the instrument cluster and the car will drive terribly. There will be nothing that obvious. What you need to look for is a leak that will kill you over time. Check the fluid levels if you can. I am not sure how to do this, but I am sure you can find instructions on here. To check the top, open and close it several times. Keep an eye on the flaps, the smoothness of the system, the windows going up and down as they should, etc. Other issues are harder to spot for a non-mechanic without an inspection.

- Random things to check that have annoyed me: auto close trunk and the glove box. The trunk closed through suction. Open and close the trunk a few times and see how it works. Listen to see if the air pump has to run a bit after it is closed - that could be a sign of a leak. The glove boxes are also famous for not opening so see if yours does. Both of these are a relatively easy fix, but can be annoying.

Best,

Z
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zaddick
Hi SC,

I think you can do a little more searching and find a lot more on the questions you have, but here are a few starting points:

- Get the car inspected by someone who knows the r230s. Depending on your area, that may just be a dealer. Don't just go to someone who works on older Mercedes as the r230s have specific issues not found on older cars. Do not skip an inspection! And get as much information as you can on the service history. You should avoid a car without a service history.

- If you want the easy mods for big gains, get the SL600. Renntech has been reliable and offers good customer service.

- Most expensive to fix are the ABC suspension and the top. If the ABC is out there will be all kinds of warnings on the instrument cluster and the car will drive terribly. There will be nothing that obvious. What you need to look for is a leak that will kill you over time. Check the fluid levels if you can. I am not sure how to do this, but I am sure you can find instructions on here. To check the top, open and close it several times. Keep an eye on the flaps, the smoothness of the system, the windows going up and down as they should, etc. Other issues are harder to spot for a non-mechanic without an inspection.

- Random things to check that have annoyed me: auto close trunk and the glove box. The trunk closed through suction. Open and close the trunk a few times and see how it works. Listen to see if the air pump has to run a bit after it is closed - that could be a sign of a leak. The glove boxes are also famous for not opening so see if yours does. Both of these are a relatively easy fix, but can be annoying.

Best,

Z
Great! Thanks for the info Zaddick. Appreciate it.