SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Life is good...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I'm a believer in Hyundias (blasphemous I know)...I really like the Accent and it doesn't look bad in 5door hatchback form. It has XM radio and cruise control...really the only two things I really need in a DD. I did upgrade the stereo system (about $1500) but at a price point of $16K...it still isn't a bad deal...had to add pic of Manny...great lab...terrible watchdog.

I love the look of the upcoming CLS and the TTV8 in the CLS is worth a look.

As far as the finer things in life...moderation is key. I bust my *** at work and work out everyday so an occasional stogie and scotch in the long run won't kill me... Tell your wife life is too short and some type of balance is needed...plus my noise/wife canceling invisible headphones come on once I hear a lecture coming on...

Or I just tell her the finance company that is my wallet will no longer be taking applications for Louis Vitton or Gucci anymore...that usually shuts her up.

J

Last edited by AMGfan; 08-04-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Cal...knock on real leather and alcantara...I've been very lucky with the SL. No issues whatsoever...my biggest gripe ever since the Kleeman ECU/TCU tune is the gas mileage...I've taken it out for an afternoon starting with a full tank and come home with only 1/4 tank to spare. I'm only driving probably back and forth from Tampa to my home which is only a half out of Tampa.

If I were to use it as a DD, then I would be *****ing...at myself. I guess that is why I just leased a Hyundai 2012 Accent...gas mileage FTW. The Suburban is great people hauler but as a DD is sucks on gas...I just use it for family trips now.
I have had a few of the classic R230 issues, abc pump, SC pulley clutch, loose fuel baffles, etc. Some problems are of my own making like my 80 mm TB eating a gasket. This obviously would not of happened without all the go fast mods. I still love the hell out the car though.

Oh by the way, since we are outing ourselves, I admit that I have a Hyundai in the garage too. Damn reliable I must say.

Manny is looking good. I almost asked how he was the other day.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
MMMMM Scotch whiskey.. fast car.. ticket for speeding whilst drunk.
Sorry can just imagine it..
Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by sound 8
MMMMM Scotch whiskey.. fast car.. ticket for speeding whilst drunk.
Sorry can just imagine it..
I've had 2 friends killed by drunk drivers so I don't drink.and drive...I "sober" up first then go home...unless I drive a normally aspirated SL63 and then I would definitely drink and drive.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like things are alive in well in Tampa these days. Probably need to do a SWFL meet one of these days...
Old 08-05-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by SRQLAW
Sounds like things are alive in well in Tampa these days. Probably need to do a SWFL meet one of these days...
I would sure love to get down there and join you guys one of these days. The Orlando thing got canceled. Wifey gets a promotion and next thing you know, we live in Milwaukee. I still need to update my profile.

Maybe a meet in January. I am going to need a reason to leave Milwaukee in January.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Speaking of Hyundais...I was at the autopark the other day stopping by to get ppf done on the mirrors of my Porsche GT2 ... getting the SL55 done soon also ... on my way out I stopped by Kia I remmembered a blurb on motorweek about some of their new cars...

I test drove the new Optima and WOW...what a car for the money, felt like I was in a 5 series, the car was great and at $27K loaded with exceptional lease terms...I was tempted right there on the spot but got a brochure and card instead. A four door sedan with every option you can think of AND 40 mpg in the non-hybrid with an optional hybrid model for even more efficiency!

I gotta say there are some very impressive options out there, I think I will certainly go for a lease at some point, unless it's a car I am passionate about I think leasing a DD is the way to go...Kia and Hyundai amongst others are really stepping up their game
Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
^ I guess I will be seeing you all on the Hyundai/KIA forum
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
I gotta say that though owner of two previous top of the line Mercedes cars, my Hyundai was the first car to give me flawless blue-tooth functionality. Perhaps more a sign of how these systems have evolved since three years ago, but one need not plunk down on a Mercedes to get these whistles any more.

That said, no getting around the fact they are still econoboxes. Among others, I miss the build quality of my SL, which was way better than the S (220) that preceded it.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
@AMGFAN: I use the balance argument quite a lot, but there are some things I am absolutely forbidden to (and I am brave enough to admit it). On the spot I can name smoking (never really my thing) and getting a motorcycle (past rider, I have been eyeing the new Diavel on magazines, and without ever saying anything, I got an emphatic NO just on having been spotted with the magazine. Not a toy allowance thing, just she sees too many motorcyclists on her table at work, and their injuries, she says, are nothing to laugh at when they don't die).
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ferri
@AMGFAN: I use the balance argument quite a lot, but there are some things I am absolutely forbidden to (and I am brave enough to admit it). On the spot I can name smoking (never really my thing) and getting a motorcycle (past rider, I have been eyeing the new Diavel on magazines, and without ever saying anything, I got an emphatic NO just on having been spotted with the magazine. Not a toy allowance thing, just she sees too many motorcyclists on her table at work, and their injuries, she says, are nothing to laugh at when they don't die).
Ferri...My fraternity brother back in the mid eighties was killed on his bike. He misjudged (he was wasted) his move into a lane and hs rear wheel clipped the front driver side bumper of an eighteen wheeler...he was dragged a half mile. So I can feel your wife's concern...

Smoking cigarretes I detest and I really cant stand the smoke, which might make it strange why I love a good cigar...it is different. Hopefully your wife doesnt come down too hard on a nice thick steak and lobster and an occasional alcoholic drink...now that would be a deal breaker...lol.

Stay safe everyone and have a great weekend,,,probably hit a Brazilian Churrasco tomorrow...life is good.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Milwaukee... Gonna be a real short SL season up there...

Got to pick and choose the issues with the wife. My is ok with the bike, but living here in FL... I really have limited desire to ride. It is way to hot in the summer and way too crowded in the winter. I actually enjoyed riding much more when I living in Boston - a short-season, but it seemed that the drivers was better...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by AMGfan
I've had 2 friends killed by drunk drivers so I don't drink.and drive...I "sober" up first then go home...unless I drive a normally aspirated SL63 and then I would definitely drink and drive.
Heh, I know which one would send me to sleep.

Anyway, do you realize how long it takes to sober up.
Don't drink and drive! I NEVER do.
any way it spills if you do.