Notices
SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) Discuss the SL55, SL63 and SL65 AMG.

Life is good...

 
Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Life is good...

I hadn't driven the 65 in about 4 weeks (it's on a battery tender) and I almost forgot how much fun and relaxing this car is to drive. My wife was out of town visiting relatives and I had a hall pass, so I drove the 65 to meet some buddies at a cigar bar for some Johnny Blue, Glenfiddich 18yr, and various cigars (PS Try the Padilla Dominus cigar...fantastic smoke).

Top down on a highway road at night...this bad boy is just happy. Not trying to prove anything just cruising and enjoying the night air with some tunes. Pretty perfect night...a 22ounce steak, scotch, cigars, and night with my mistress...the SL65.

AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
  #2  
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,213
Received 195 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
and night with my mistress...the SL65.
you managed to ruin the perfect image in my mind with this last statement
alx is offline  
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 691
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
I've been so into the rock em sock em manual tranny sports car mode lately....that when I do take the SL out ( no way I could wait 4 weeks) I know exactly how you feel the SL is that good...! =)
150shot is offline  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
All you are missing is a little time at the driving range to hit a bucket of *****...
Zaddick is offline  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
Kreuzfeuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 692
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
I drove the 65 to meet some buddies at a cigar bar for some Johnny Blue, Glenfiddich 18yr, and various cigars (PS Try the Padilla Dominus cigar...fantastic smoke)
Glenfiddich and cigars... you sure we're not brothers somehow? Padilla makes a mean smoke, I haven't tried the Dominus yet. I've been on an Alec Bradley Tempus kick lately...

Fantastic night from the sound of things.
Kreuzfeuer is offline  
Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cal1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central WI (BFE)
Posts: 6,896
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Very Nice. I should have known you would be into fine single malts based on your taste in cars.
cal1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
All you are missing is a little time at the driving range to hit a bucket of *****...
I played earlier in the day so that scratched that itch...I had 3 cigars on the course...

1. Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo
2. Graycliff Double Espresso
3. LFD Airbender

The LFD kicked my butt! All I was missing was going to the gun range and shooting a couple of my Springfields and Sigs...and the AR.

Glenfiddich and cigars... you sure we're not brothers somehow? Padilla makes a mean smoke, I haven't tried the Dominus yet. I've been on an Alec Bradley Tempus kick lately...

Fantastic night from the sound of things.
The Dominus has some coffee/cocoa taste to it and has a great draw. Really sneaks up on you but was really enjoyable to smoke. The Padilla 1932 to me is a little stronger but both are great smokes. The AB Tempus Maduro are sitting in my Humidor as I type and love them, too.

It really was a fantastic night...we ended up @ the Hard Rock later that night. Lost my **** in the poker room but really enjoyed some more of the Glenfiddich...neat please.

Very Nice. I should have known you would be into fine single malts based on your taste in cars.
Thanks my friend...life is too short not to dabble in the finer things in life. You work your butt off during the week and you need something to distract yourself from life's reality. I love my time with the family but there are times when you need to feed your XY chromosomes...
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
The best part was the 22 oz. steak.

BenzBro1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by BenzBro1 View Post
The best part was the 22 oz. steak.

It was damn good...bone in rib eye FTW!
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 240
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
I did the same thing, no cigars, and then visited my GF. (Not Sl65).
carcommander is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by carcommander View Post
I did the same thing, no cigars, and then visited my GF. (Not Sl65).
Unfortunately...being the faithful husband and my wife not being at home...I couldn't make the call for "*** up and ready" like I usually do...
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:56 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 71
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600 OETuning ECU
Sounds like a great evening AND you didn't get busted for DUI!
halm is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,137
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Lol.... I was just thinking about you, Jon. I'm sitting on one of the fairways at The Brunswick Golf Plantation and Resort, in Sunset Beach, NC. I just made a tee time for tomorrow and walking across this bermuda grass, brought back memories of playing with you at Disney. My 6 year old is gonna ride shotgun with me this time, you met him when he was 4, I believe. The good news is, I'm quite a bit better club swinger since last you've seen, so I shouldn't embarrass myself too much in front of the boy.

My SL is sitting on her battery tender at home, with the E-Class keeping her company. The Rover was our rig of choice on this trip. But I can't wait to get back home, fire her up, and flex my right calf a bit.
Benz-O-Rama is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama View Post
Lol.... I was just thinking about you, Jon. I'm sitting on one of the fairways at The Brunswick Golf Plantation and Resort, in Sunset Beach, NC. I just made a tee time for tomorrow and walking across this bermuda grass, brought back memories of playing with you at Disney. My 6 year old is gonna ride shotgun with me this time, you met him when he was 4, I believe. The good news is, I'm quite a bit better club swinger since last you've seen, so I shouldn't embarrass myself too much in front of the boy.

My SL is sitting on her battery tender at home, with the E-Class keeping her company. The Rover was our rig of choice on this trip. But I can't wait to get back home, fire her up, and flex my right calf a bit.
Life isn't treating you too bad...
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM
  #15  
Super Member
 
Kreuzfeuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 692
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
I played earlier in the day so that scratched that itch...I had 3 cigars on the course...

1. Victor Sinclair Triple Corojo
2. Graycliff Double Espresso
3. LFD Airbender

The LFD kicked my butt! All I was missing was going to the gun range and shooting a couple of my Springfields and Sigs...and the AR.

The Dominus has some coffee/cocoa taste to it and has a great draw. Really sneaks up on you but was really enjoyable to smoke. The Padilla 1932 to me is a little stronger but both are great smokes. The AB Tempus Maduro are sitting in my Humidor as I type and love them, too.

It really was a fantastic night...we ended up @ the Hard Rock later that night. Lost my **** in the poker room but really enjoyed some more of the Glenfiddich...neat please.

The LFD is no joke... I have to enjoy one while watching a race at the cigar bar. I'm going to have to look up the Dominus. Sounds like one that will find its way into my inventory
Kreuzfeuer is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer View Post
The LFD is no joke... I have to enjoy one while watching a race at the cigar bar. I'm going to have to look up the Dominus. Sounds like one that will find its way into my inventory
Padilla Dominus
http://www.cigarinspector.com/padill...busto-joes-gem

If you want another asskicker to try like the Airbender...the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo is great a smoke.

I smoked a couple last year and bought a box...they are sitting in my humidor aging now...probably bust one out in a month or so.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/joya-d...no-dark-corojo
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,615
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Nice Jon...well played 'ole chum! haha I really enjoy a bit of single malt...my fav is lagavulin for it's smokey and petey aftertaste...pairing with a nice stogie is always a treat...

as for the cars...I haven't driven my SL55 in a month...but will be this week and next...the car is so pleasurable to drive and really each time it reminds me of what I like about it all over again...
Sunir is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Benz-O-Rama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,137
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
Life isn't treating you too bad...

Can't compliain. You're one of the few members that have met the family. The ole lady ain't so bad to look at, and the kids are obviously way too cute to be mine.
Benz-O-Rama is offline  
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama View Post
Can't compliain. You're one of the few members that have met the family. The ole lady ain't so bad to look at, and the kids are obviously way too cute to be mine.
You need to come down to Orlando again...gives me a reason to use my Marriott points at the JW.
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
  #20  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cal1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central WI (BFE)
Posts: 6,896
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I am with you on the best way to enjoy a single malt. I have been fortunate enough to travel to Scotland for Salmon fishing the last few autumn's and enjoying a wee dram with the locals. They like a splash of water. We are talking maybe a tablespoon full. The locals say it enhances the nose. They say bloody yanks like me can't appreciate the nectar of the gods anyway. All in jest of course.
cal1 is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
kamilclk430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,630
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Sometimes nothing can be better than a cruise alone in the SL. Life is Good!
kamilclk430 is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
  #22  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
After a 10 day gap went for a blast in the SL last night, you really appreciate the experience anew after a while apart.

You also forget how much torque these motors have
MOD500 is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
cal1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central WI (BFE)
Posts: 6,896
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by MOD500 View Post
After a 10 day gap went for a blast in the SL last night, you really appreciate the experience anew after a while apart.

You also forget how much torque these motors have
No doubt. Mine seems to pull like a beast during that first drive after it has been in bed for the winter. Maybe driving the 300hp ML all winter has something to do with it.

The SL is by far the most fun car I have ever owned... when it is running good that is.
cal1 is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
AMGfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 4,929
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG la mia Famiglia la Bestia la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by cal1 View Post
No doubt. Mine seems to pull like a beast during that first drive after it has been in bed for the winter. Maybe driving the 300hp ML all winter has something to do with it.

The SL is by far the most fun car I have ever owned... when it is running good that is.
Cal...knock on real leather and alcantara...I've been very lucky with the SL. No issues whatsoever...my biggest gripe ever since the Kleeman ECU/TCU tune is the gas mileage...I've taken it out for an afternoon starting with a full tank and come home with only 1/4 tank to spare. I'm only driving probably back and forth from Tampa to my home which is only a half out of Tampa.

If I were to use it as a DD, then I would be *****ing...at myself. I guess that is why I just leased a Hyundia 2012 Accent...gas mileage FTW. The Suburban is great people hauler but as a DD is sucks on gas...I just use it for family trips now.
AMGfan is offline  
Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
Originally Posted by AMGfan View Post
Cal...knock on real leather and alcantara...I've been very lucky with the SL. No issues whatsoever...my biggest gripe ever since the Kleeman ECU/TCU tune is the gas mileage...I've taken it out for an afternoon starting with a full tank and come home with only 1/4 tank to spare. I'm only driving probably back and forth from Tampa to my home which is only a half out of Tampa.

If I were to use it as a DD, then I would be *****ing...at myself. I guess that is why I just leased a Hyundia 2012 Accent...gas mileage FTW. The Suburban is great people hauler but as a DD is sucks on gas...I just use it for family trips now.
I was starting to feel like an oddball with a leased Elantra (2011) in a Mercedes Forum. It is nice to have (an indicated) 42mpg on the highway on my 50-mile commute from work. Though I miss the MB v12, next MB will be a v8 twin turbo at the most. I do not ever want to go back to the 14mpg days, no car seems worth that to me nowadays. Eyeing the next SL, though seriously tempted by the CLS.

Also, I am humbled by you gentlemen's taste for the finer things in life. Married to a physician, I cannot even approach certain foods without getting a lecture on the various medical conditions that can result from consumption, let alone smoking.
Ferri is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Life is good...


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: