SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Quite Possibly The BADDEST SL Around!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
look at the brakes. sl500 ? so massive kit puny motor?
good call, didn't even notice that. I have larger rotors on my C43
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by anton28
Finally a solid bs kit at a reasonable price from a reputable company. That is sex on wheels.
Hmm $18k for parts ONLY?? is reasonable? I emailed Prior Designs & got this pricing quote...
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
is it true though that the rear quarter panels on an SL63 are welded to the car?

$18k for parts, guess $5k for install, $7k for a paint job here in Australia = $30k. Bit too much for me!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
That 18k in parts doesn't include new 09 up headlights or new larger wheels.. Yes ALL r230 rear 1/4s are welded to frame, you can have them cut the spot welds etc..
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL55, 2004SL55, 2002 CLK55, 2000 CLK430
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
is it true though that the rear quarter panels on an SL63 are welded to the car?

$18k for parts, guess $5k for install, $7k for a paint job here in Australia = $30k. Bit too much for me!
I think you can get it for 15K (Parts)
I'm pretty sure I saw them (Prior) have one kit up on eBay recently for 15K.

By far the nicest kit available in my opinion.
Misha is nice, but a little bubbly and exagerated. And it does not seem to be as seemless of a fit as this is.
You cant' really tell that this is not OEM that's how tight it is.
the others look nice, but you know it's a kit at first glance.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Thericker
Hmm $18k for parts ONLY?? is reasonable? I emailed Prior Designs & got this pricing quote...
I was offered a LOT less than that, but I'm currently not interested in changing to the '09+ front end..

I think the ONLY way I would consider it was if I had a 65.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Havoc
I was offered a LOT less than that, but I'm currently not interested in changing to the '09+ front end..

I think the ONLY way I would consider it was if I had a 65.
I wanted to clarify the Pricing from Prior Designs, I've emailed them twice. They're NOW saying this...
Hello Sean,

The price of the kit was totally miss-priced by one of our staff members on ebay. I apologize for any confusion. The entire kit NOT including new headlights or taillights is indeed $17,999.00
I'm ONLY posting this due to some members here are quoting much lower pricing, which just isn't the case.. Nor is it remotely affordable, esp after pro install/paint/wheels/tires/exhaust/new Headlights/Taillights etc..
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM

I wanted to clarify the Pricing from Prior Designs, I've emailed them twice. They're NOW saying this...

I'm ONLY posting this due to some members here are quoting much lower pricing, which just isn't the case.. Nor is it remotely affordable, esp after pro install/paint/wheels/tires/exhaust/new Headlights/Taillights etc..
They definetely had the kit up for $14,999 "BUY IT NOW" on ebay.
If it was a mistake on their part, I wonder if they would have sold it for that price should someone have bought it (used the buy it now feature on ebay).
Nonetheless, It's by far the best looking, fitting, kit available in my opinion. If you're going to spend this type of money on an upgrade of this caliber, you may as well spend the extra couple of grand and get the best there is!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I like it!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:12 PM

2001 Lamborghini Diablo, 2009 SL65 (sold), 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
Just to add to the confusion. Prior Design currently has an auction on ebay with a buy it now of $24,999.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item27bd530fad

and another kit for $13,999

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item27b4102634

Last edited by falconsprint; 08-22-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by falconsprint
Just to add to the confusion. Prior Design currently has an auction on ebay with a buy it now of $24,999.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item27bd530fad

and another kit for $13,999

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...item27b4102634
Yep, saw that.
the $24,999 one is the one that they recently had up for $14,999 "Buy It Now". Geez if someone only pulled the trigger on it, I'm sure they would have had to do the right thing and sold it for that.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM

2001 Lamborghini Diablo, 2009 SL65 (sold), 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
Unhappy

I see, although both kits have the same part# (MESL230PD-SERIES) they are different

for $24,999 you get:

1x Front bumper
2x Front fenders
2x Side skirts
2x Rear fender flares
1x Rear bumper
1x Trunk spoiler
1x Front Bonnet
1x Rear Widenings
1x Front Lip Spoiler
1x Hood

for $13,999 you get:

1x Front bumper
2x Front fenders (pair)
2x Side skirts (pair)
2x Rear fender flares
1x Rear bumper
1x Trunk spoiler
Optional: (1x Vented Hood +$3,999)

Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Originally Posted by Big Dave
Probably a dumb question, but when people install a widebody kit with new wheels and tires, is the handling compromised in any way?
It would seem to me that the dished wheels would have to have some effect on the ackerman, and possibly the damping due to pushing the center of the contact patch further outboard from stock.
Bump steer can be increased, but this can be overcome with other suspension upgrades. Generally, the extra grip from upgrading to wider wheels is worth any other problems that would arise.

Originally Posted by AMGfan
Looks good...just as long as it is matched to a proper engine (55k, 600, or 65). I just think its too much of a poseur situation when you don't have the giddy-up behind the wide body look.

Kind of like a Ferrari kit on a Fiero...just my .02.
Amen!

Originally Posted by SteveL1
I was liking it a lot until I got to the aerial shot of the interior and then I kind of threw up in my mouth a little. Yech!
Way too much red in there. I love the style, but I think less red would have been way better.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -

True, I am aware that both of their kits go for $18K, which they did tell me, and quite honestly, I think it's worth it! But the price I mention and (personally) was offered is a special deal which still stands and is a LOT less, even than their miss-priced on ebay. I feel SO special!

I think Prior-Design's widebody kits is the only kit that actually keeps the classy look of SL, which is important to me. They have one of the best looking widebody kits out there!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Havoc
True, I am aware that both of their kits go for $18K, which they did tell me, and quite honestly, I think it's worth it! But the price I mention and (personally) was offered is a special deal which still stands and is a LOT less, even than their miss-priced on ebay. I feel SO special!

I think Prior-Design's widebody kits is the only kit that actually keeps the classy look of SL, which is important to me. They have one of the best looking widebody kits out there!
Havoc........you're dead on! The only widebody I've seen so far that actually looks like something MB would have done. Great Fit, beautiful lines and none of that exagerrated plasticky aftermarket add-on look.
I may ask you for your "specialness" when eventually putting this on my SL55.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
you guys are all missing the big point here, NONE OF US HAVE REAL SL BLACK SERIES, IDK about rest of you but I didn't want to try & look exactly like an OEM Blk Series??? That's the problrm you're ALL missing badges or not, making a full OEM replica kit SCREAMS poser..Beauty of MishaDesigns is the NON OEM replica look, it's far more aggressive & completely unmistakable for a real Black Series to TRUE Enthusiasts. Just my .02

The most hypocritical point is the SL you're all carrying on about is an sl500, same story w/Sarona kit, it tried to look exactly OEM & the ONLY versions installed were on sl500's an absolute joke..

Lastly to even consider installing this Prior kit on a say sl65 would still be a joke, why? hmmm the perf dif is so vast unless you installed the upgraded SpeeDriven TT kit it wouldn't come close to an absolute stock SL65 blk series, it weighs 5-600 lbs less, has superior cooling, superior speed shift prog etc..

Again the way this forum carries on about posers & FAKE badging, why can't you see how it's the exact same thing ONLY to a much more extreme form? an exact duplicate sl65 widebody even w/older 65 engine is posing to the next level.

SL blk has lighter brakes, bigger turbos, 1000 times better cooling, half car is made of REAL CF, 5-600 lbs lighter w/coilovers vs lame abc susp... the list goes on

Misha kit is enately unique love it or hate it, it isn't posing to be a real Black Series period..

Go to local dealership & look @ the real Blk Series, pop hood notice the huge space bet engine & rad-fan, & new cai/ + snaller lighter rotors & calipers.. No tune & reg bolton older 65 will even come close to it's perf.. Again judt my opinions excuse sloppy text etc iphn is fun whn girlfriends yapping
Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I have to add something, even adding the SpeeDriven latest Turbo upgrades to say an older sl65 then add Prior kit, it'd still be 600 lbs heavier w/inferior ABC suspension, & besides having more HP/TQ it'd NEVER equal an OEM sl65 blk ser.. My 600 even w/weight loss i'd have to strip the interior & ABC, swap out entire braking system, & somehow add the improved Speedshift programs (according to Marcin, it's not possible @ this time, far more advanced thn reg old amg speedshift etc) The ONLY thing that's kool about older SL's is vert option but that's main part of the 600 odd lbs taken out of 65's
Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
^ this. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 AM

you guys are all missing the big point here, NONE OF US HAVE REAL SL BLACK SERIES, IDK about rest of you but I didn't want to try & look exactly like an OEM Blk Series??? That's the problrm you're ALL missing badges or not, making a full OEM replica kit SCREAMS poser..Beauty of MishaDesigns is the NON OEM replica look, it's far more aggressive & completely unmistakable for a real Black Series to TRUE Enthusiasts. Just my .02

The most hypocritical point is the SL you're all carrying on about is an sl500, same story w/Sarona kit, it tried to look exactly OEM & the ONLY versions installed were on sl500's an absolute joke..

Lastly to even consider installing this Prior kit on a say sl65 would still be a joke, why? hmmm the perf dif is so vast unless you installed the upgraded SpeeDriven TT kit it wouldn't come close to an absolute stock SL65 blk series, it weighs 5-600 lbs less, has superior cooling, superior speed shift prog etc..

Again the way this forum carries on about posers & FAKE badging, why can't you see how it's the exact same thing ONLY to a much more extreme form? an exact duplicate sl65 widebody even w/older 65 engine is posing to the next level.

SL blk has lighter brakes, bigger turbos, 1000 times better cooling, half car is made of REAL CF, 5-600 lbs lighter w/coilovers vs lame abc susp... the list goes on

Misha kit is enately unique love it or hate it, it isn't posing to be a real Black Series period..

Go to local dealership & look @ the real Blk Series, pop hood notice the huge space bet engine & rad-fan, & new cai/ + snaller lighter rotors & calipers.. No tune & reg bolton older 65 will even come close to it's perf.. Again judt my opinions excuse sloppy text etc iphn is fun whn girlfriends yapping
I'm not sure that the intent is to make our cars look as much like an SL65 as possible. I can not speak for others here, but me for one that is not the case. I would think that the intent for having ones car go through a drastic transformation process such as this is to give it a new, revised and updated look. And as such, you would think that one would want the best possible upgrade possible as it pertains to fit, overall style and look, without completely jeopardizing the classiness and integrity of the original R230, as in my opinion it's one of the most beautiful car designs ever. The intent is not to be a "poser" as you put it and try to get as close to the 65 as possible. The intent is to beutify an already awesome car and not make it look like something similar to this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ugly+...w=1536&bih=740

I've looked at various kits (Carlson, Brabus, a bunch of other aftermarket crap, your Misha kit and the new Prior Kit) and in my opinion the Prior is the best one you can get. Not for the intent to look like somethinge else, but for the sheer elegance and fit and overall look it brings.

And I dont believe anyone at any point has stated that your kit looks like crap. On the contrary it's a nice looking design for which i'm sure you have received a lot of positive feedback. But as you can see, for many who would have the choice of one or the other, including myself, the Prior is just the better way to go. Personal preference I guess which we are all entitled to.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
quite the contrary, i'm not on a tangent due to my choice not meeting the car gods. It is & always has been a personal choice to have something DIFFERENT, not try & copy an existing $320k auto dwn to every little curve etc... What will you say when asked 20 times per outing"nice Sl65 blk series sir?!" lol it's exactly what masses will think no matter how you try to justify it'll always ve " like posing a fake Ferrari kit car" if you choose that exact duplicate kit..

Again just my opinion, but too many fantastic perf & Carbon Fiber body parts, cooling, brakes, turbo's, never have coilover suspension, 600lbs heavier etc & best part 1 of 300 club you'll be seen as
trying to copy/replicate w/this
or TC Concepts or even
crummy Sraona kits.. I actually have quite opposite,
peeps ask what model MB is
that, it's the baddest MB I've ever seen? is it a brand new
model from German
aftermarket tuner etc..lol

It's ur $ ur car, do what makes you happy I'm being realistic & honest w/these strong opinions, they make plenty of sense, ie ur in essence copying exact duplicate of a $320k Supercar, that'll perf NO where similar in any respect (it's a perpous built track car etc HUGE dif from reg old sl65 my friends, badges or not this kit screams I HAVE A REAL Black Series)

Remember how pissed most of you got when some LA Exotic car rental did just this & rented it out as the real deal? I laughed.. Go look up the thread..

Whatever
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Originally Posted by Wagz
I'm not sure that the intent is to make our cars look as much like an SL65 as possible. I can not speak for others here, but me for one that is not the case. I would think that the intent for having ones car go through a drastic transformation process such as this is to give it a new, revised and updated look. And as such, you would think that one would want the best possible upgrade possible as it pertains to fit, overall style and look, without completely jeopardizing the classiness and integrity of the original R230, as in my opinion it's one of the most beautiful car designs ever. The intent is not to be a "poser" as you put it and try to get as close to the 65 as possible. The intent is to beutify an already awesome car and not make it look like something similar to this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ugly+...w=1536&bih=740

I've looked at various kits (Carlson, Brabus, a bunch of other aftermarket crap, your Misha kit and the new Prior Kit) and in my opinion the Prior is the best one you can get. Not for the intent to look like somethinge else, but for the sheer elegance and fit and overall look it brings.

And I dont believe anyone at any point has stated that your kit looks like crap. On the contrary it's a nice looking design for which i'm sure you have received a lot of positive feedback. But as you can see, for many who would have the choice of one or the other, including myself, the Prior is just the better way to go. Personal preference I guess which we are all entitled to.
Amen brotha!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 AM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
quite the contrary, i'm not on a tangent due to my choice not meeting the car gods. It is & always has been a personal choice to have something DIFFERENT, not try & copy an existing $320k auto dwn to every little curve etc... What will you say when asked 20 times per outing"nice Sl65 blk series sir?!" lol it's exactly what masses will think no matter how you try to justify it'll always ve " like posing a fake Ferrari kit car" if you choose that exact duplicate kit..

Again just my opinion, but too many fantastic perf & Carbon Fiber body parts, cooling, brakes, turbo's, never have coilover suspension, 600lbs heavier etc & best part 1 of 300 club you'll be seen as
trying to copy/replicate w/this
or TC Concepts or even
crummy Sraona kits.. I actually have quite opposite,
peeps ask what model MB is
that, it's the baddest MB I've ever seen? is it a brand new
model from German
aftermarket tuner etc..lol

It's ur $ ur car, do what makes you happy I'm being realistic & honest w/these strong opinions, they make plenty of sense, ie ur in essence copying exact duplicate of a $320k Supercar, that'll perf NO where similar in any respect (it's a perpous built track car etc HUGE dif from reg old sl65 my friends, badges or not this kit screams I HAVE A REAL Black Series)

Remember how pissed most of you got when some LA Exotic car rental did just this & rented it out as the real deal? I laughed.. Go look up the thread..

Whatever
I'm sorry but if you are comparing running a BS kit on a sl to a replica Lamborghini, you are strait tripping. First most people don't even know what a BS is and if you told them you paid 320k for it they would laugh at you. I love the BS but thats just the truth. When sitting next to a F430 thats in its price range the BS still looks like a 100k sl with a body kit. There is nothing POSER about running a body kit on a car. Poser is a feirro running a Lamborghini body with its 2.8l v6. The fact that Misha kit is not exact doesn't give it anymore rights to be on a regular sl then the sonora, tc concepts or prior kits. Why call someone a poser when they simply want the elegance of the BS look. Im sorry but if your going to mod an already perfect r230, even if its a 500, you better do it with class and so far they only kit out there worth to be put on a Mercedes is the BS replica kit. Whoever its made by.

Im not clowing anyone her who has the Misha kit but to make such statements as above and to say that a riced out kit is better because its not poser is just crazy. My opinion, thats all.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by anton28
I'm sorry but if you are comparing running a BS kit on a sl to a replica Lamborghini, you are strait tripping. First most people don't even know what a BS is and if you told them you paid 320k for it they would laugh at you. I love the BS but thats just the truth. When sitting next to a F430 thats in its price range the BS still looks like a 100k sl with a body kit. There is nothing POSER about running a body kit on a car. Poser is a feirro running a Lamborghini body with its 2.8l v6. The fact that Misha kit is not exact doesn't give it anymore rights to be on a regular sl then the sonora, tc concepts or prior kits. Why call someone a poser when they simply want the elegance of the BS look. Im sorry but if your going to mod an already perfect r230, even if its a 500, you better do it with class and so far they only kit out there worth to be put on a Mercedes is the BS replica kit. Whoever its made by.

Im not clowing anyone her who has the Misha kit but to make such statements as above and to say that a riced out kit is better because its not poser is just crazy. My opinion, thats all.

MISHA KIT =
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=0qMBkNHrDh/

Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 AM

2014 Rover, 2014 Viper
Lol good one Wagz. That about sums it up.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Sl55
i like the interior,,, very ferrari california

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Quite Possibly The BADDEST SL Around!