SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Trunk soft close question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Trunk soft close question

When my trunk soft closes I hear a quiet hiss for about 5 seconds after the trunk is completely closed.

I disasemmbled the latch assembly and plugged with epoxy all the pellets (a common problem), although mine did not appear to leak anyway. the black and the white piston assemblies appear in good shape. Not cracked or anything.

The soft close works well, just the hissing is there.

My question is - after your soft close your trunk- do you hear a hiss? For how long? Just trying to determine if I have a problem or all is good.

Thank you
Old 08-14-2011, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 SL450
alx,

Just went out and opened/closed the trunk a few times. When opening, definitely hear a hiss, the sound of air in the pistons I guess. When closing, there is NO hiss at all - after the trunk latches, I can hear what sounds like the electronic mechanism closing for about a second, then about two seconds of silence, then that electronic sound again for a few seconds. But no hiss like when the trunk is opened. Hard to describe the sounds; hope that helps.

Bob
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 57 Likes on 14 Posts
08 ML350, 2011 E550 Cab
The hiss noise when you open the trunk is completely normal. You are releasing pressure in the system.
You know what they say.. "If it aint broke, Don't fix it"

But, if it's hissing when closing> you may have a problem.
It could be anything from a leak in the pump, in a hose, hose fitting, latch mechanism, etc.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:11 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you so much for the feedback. This was important to me. I knowh hissing on opening is expected (looking at the design of the latch), but hissing after the pull down I guess is not normal.

I can have it hiss when I have the assembly off the trunk and I can feel the air escaping from somewhere but can't pin point it... Now after I know it is not some kind of a blow off valve I will look for the problem using a stethoscope.

Ah.. The fun those cars provide...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

update:

using a stethoscope i found a tiny (barely visible) crack just behind one of the pellet plugs on the least visible plug outlet.

it was tiny and on the inside... you could not see it and the escaping air was getting bounced around so you could not pinpoint the source easily.

i epoxied it and no more hiss

so the moral is (i know, i know.. spare me) - if it hisses - you do have a hole/crack somewhere.

on related thoughts- looking at the design of the latch mechanism- what a cheap plastic piece of **** it is... not to mention the unfortunate design decision to plug the non-used air ports with pellets which might crack the port when the plastic gets a little old.