SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Easy way to indentify ABC replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
Easy way to indentify ABC replaced?

Im looking at a '03 SL55 with 94,000 miles for $18K. Other than obvious leaking fluid on the ground, can I visually/easily see if there are updated parts on the ABC?

I know about the SC chirp, so Ill listen for that. ABC has me worried, Im a fair mechanic but the ABC is too complicated for my skills.

thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Titan1969
Im looking at a '03 SL55 with 94,000 miles for $18K. Other than obvious leaking fluid on the ground, can I visually/easily see if there are updated parts on the ABC?

I know about the SC chirp, so Ill listen for that. ABC has me worried, Im a fair mechanic but the ABC is too complicated for my skills.

thanks in advance
the only pieces that can visually be recognized as different are the front abc hose (that runs on the bottom parallel to the radiator) and the valve blocks. i dont know what the updated hose difference is (i know it is different in appearance though), but the updated valve blocks have the two round reservours attached to form one unit while the old ones are two separate ones.

if you are seeing fluid on the front- chances are the abc hose is the original one and it is leaking. they like to give birth some time after they start leaking

at that mileage though i will be seeing a lot of things go wrong with this car- engine mounts, he pump, tandem pump, valve blocks, shocks, vacuum pump, plugs will need to be redone, front suspension components, etc, etc...
Old 09-30-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by alx
the only pieces that can visually be recognized as different are the front abc hose (that runs on the bottom parallel to the radiator) and the valve blocks. i dont know what the updated hose difference is (i know it is different in appearance though), but the updated valve blocks have the two round reservours attached to form one unit while the old ones are two separate ones.

if you are seeing fluid on the front- chances are the abc hose is the original one and it is leaking. they like to give birth some time after they start leaking

at that mileage though i will be seeing a lot of things go wrong with this car- engine mounts, he pump, tandem pump, valve blocks, shocks, vacuum pump, plugs will need to be redone, front suspension components, etc, etc...
My car just went in to have it's intercooler pump replaced, and my tech showed me that this hose was leaking. I don't have my repair order in front of me, but I think it was an $1100 additional repair.

I'd recommend not owning one these outside of warranty. With an $18K purchase price, you could easily be at 1/2 of that in repair costs within the first 18 months of ownership.

Not kidding....
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
My car just went in to have it's intercooler pump replaced, and my tech showed me that this hose was leaking. I don't have my repair order in front of me, but I think it was an $1100 additional repair.

I'd recommend not owning one these outside of warranty. With an $18K purchase price, you could easily be at 1/2 of that in repair costs within the first 18 months of ownership.

Not kidding....
Im aware of the costs involved. Its a high end car, that I understand Im getting it for a low price for a reason. I wouldnt be afraid to put $10K into over the next year. I still feel its a good deal since most of what Im seeing in SL55 are $30K+ for 60K+ miles.

If I dont spend $10K on it over the next year, then I come out a little ahead.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Im aware of the costs involved. Its a high end car, that I understand Im getting it for a low price for a reason. I wouldnt be afraid to put $10K into over the next year. I still feel its a good deal since most of what Im seeing in SL55 are $30K+ for 60K+ miles.

As long as you're aware, you're good to go.

That money you're setting aside for inevitability, might be better served with the purchase of a warranty. My car is a 30-something thousand mile cream puff, and I bet it's had close to 10K in repairs. Most were convertible top or ABC related issues. Can't get out of the dealership for under $2000.00 each time.

Good luck with her. At $18K, I hope there's no stories with her. That seems like a very aggressive price, even with the high miles.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
Take the car in for a detaled PPI and you will have a better sense of what you might owe. I have a similar philosophy to you in terms of reparis out of warranty. It sounds like you have a sense of what will (not might) go wrong so if the car seems to be pretty good after the inspection, I say go for it. If you are not looking to resell it then the mileage is not as much of an issue.

Just be sure you are really comfortable dealing with the repair bills. They are no joke. I have had stuff break in the parking lot when dropping my car off for another repair!

But if you really want reliability, go buy a Lexus. I wanted torque so I bought the SL55.

Good luck.

Z
Old 09-30-2011, 12:59 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Be forewarned, it is hard to get a warranty once you are over about 80K. You can get partial coverage, but nothing that will really save you from a big fix.

and I agree with Bens-o-rama, that 18K seems very agressive. Be careful.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM

04 sl55
Beware

I have a good indy shop,but still if it weren't for my warranty the car would have cost me big money. I have a buddy with a E55 out of warranty and its costing him and arm and a leg to maintain.
Have you had a body shop and mechanic check this car out. You cant always trust car fax.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: Lynnwood in summer, Fountain Hills during the rainy season in Wa.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Maserati QP EGT, 2005 SL55AMG , 2002 CLK55AMG 2002 C230K Coupe
Watch out for those ABC line leaks. I had the ugly one start leaking (that's the one that you have to drop the engine and trans to replace) The repair bill was over 3K.

That said, fluid is a cheap fix if you don't mind a leak....until you have to get it towed ;-)
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 AM

SL55 AMG

ya make sure she is not had a big crush
or been into water.......

never heard these price even in us

good luck