SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Personal Best in the SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Clay, Congrats.

Have you ever thought of going high flow cats? Maybe even a separate ECU just for Track and doing it Race Gas tune only?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Awesome run Clayton! you sure have that heavy beast moving.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by Thericker
Hmm update your Sig I wanna see that 11.0x @126+ Nice work considering your light mods
DONE! And slip up on dragtimes.com

Originally Posted by AMGfan
That is a tremendous time! Deserves a beer or two...dozen...preferably on the golf course!
Thanks Jon. The wife and celebrated with a very rare, expensive bottle of champagne. Maybe you've heard of it......Korbel.

Originally Posted by maxabo
Congratulations! Incredibly quick, for those small mods!

So that technique is preferable, compared to just full throttle from 800 rpm and letting go of the brakes at the same time..?
Is it pretty safe to generalize there..?
I made a couple of runs last summer, with 11,64 as the best ET for me, without stalling.
I haven't got the experience myself to know which way to go, that's why...
Thanks. While the technique you saw in video is the most beneficial, I don't know that I'd call it preferable. I usually don't do it, as I drive the car 2.5hrs to and from the track, but I was on a mission Friday, and I knew I needed to get my 60' down a .10th, to get me in the 10s. Luckily, the rear didn't grenade, and I was able to drive the car back home the 2.5 hours, in the lap of luxury.

Originally Posted by SL55K
Thats really impressive man! COngrats on the amazing time! Lets see you hit the high 10s with your autobahn missile!
Thanks. I'm so very close.....

Originally Posted by 1995E320Cab
Please keep us updated on your next mods, DIY Photos would be great also if you can. I would love to encourage more V12TT guys to push their cars a bit. What guys like you are doing helps !!

Thanks man !!

I'm gonna go ahead and try some intake stuff. I'm still running stock intake, stock cooling, 20" front wheels and very heavy 18" rear DR setup. If I really made the effort to shed some weight, and increase the intake volume, you'd have to think that'd been good enough for the .02s I was short.

Originally Posted by Thericker
Good stuff! Thnx 4 sharing bud... Call me if you need some install tips on those Velocity-Raptors they do need a bit of man handling but truly fit like a glove after slappin' em' around a bit
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Clay, Congrats.

Have you ever thought of going high flow cats? Maybe even a separate ECU just for Track and doing it Race Gas tune only?
The man, the myth, the legend.....

Thanks Jody. Still can't wait to see that EV12 make a pass. Yeah, I've thought about all that stuff. And that'd surely do the trick, but I REALLY REALLY want to get into the 10's with the very light mods I have. If I do, I'm going to find it much more satisfying. But sure, if I keep striking out, I'll have to do something.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Awesome run Clayton! you sure have that heavy beast moving.
Thanks Mike. Heavy is right. This is certainly the wrong platform to try this stuff with,......

BTW guys, here's another video....this was an 11.09 run though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtFEqPxiAYo
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Thanks Mike. Heavy is right. This is certainly the wrong platform to try this stuff with,......
I know, these SL's are convertible tanks. Its driving a modded C63 towing a boat all the time. So to get down the track in basically 11 seconds flat, while getting a back massage, and your back side is nice a toasty from the ventilated heated seats. It's something to behold and a feet few will ever come close too.