SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Turbo Size's and Make question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 75 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by falconsprint
If you don't remap the TCU the remapped ECU will send too much torque to the transmission and the TCU will put the car in limp mode. Happened to my car while Eurocharged was tuning it. You can see it happen on the dyno graph. Jerry had to crawl under the passenger side dashboard and pull out the TCU and remap it. Now my cars puts out over 800 lbft of torque. Too much really. Before we started Jerry asked if I wanted the car tuned for HP or torque. Living in the US I said "tire shredding torque!'.

I had previously sent my ECU only to Renntech. Tune was ok and was getting 550hp at the wheels. But the Eurocharged tune added 15 more hp and 100 more lbft or torque (on 91 octane). Car feels a lot more aggresive. But still totally smooth when you want it to be.

Sound8, if you are looking for a little extra, try to get Jerry for Eurocharged to come to the UK. You car will be custom tuned on the dyno.
The TCU tune could have helped, but the guys doing my car fixed it without touching the TCU as an add on my gearbox is based on a Maybach 62 and already upgraded so the issue wasn't anything to do with the TCU it had to do with the ECU something was hitting some limit to let the car go to limb mood

Originally Posted by GotTheBenz
Not providing proof to back up your statement is your choice.

For me, your choice to not offer proof (none), reveals what you said in
your original post as either just an opinion (worthless), or slander...

It matters not what your other threads are. We are here.

"Too much proof"? That's how much you value the well-being of
another's children, wife and man? Taking their food away!?

"Without heart---one has no class." --Ghandi

I for one will wrap-up what you've said about Speedriven--and "leave it".

Thank you
Just for your info I have chipped in that's man value and well being by paying for his product where he has failed to give back to me or pay me back I hope you understand this when you stand in a similar situation one day

One more thing I wish Speedriven a good business and hopefully continue with making monsters and providing the 1000whp dyno someday
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by dbasons55
The TCU tune could have helped, but the guys doing my car fixed it without touching the TCU as an add on my gearbox is based on a Maybach 62 and already upgraded so the issue wasn't anything to do with the TCU it had to do with the ECU something was hitting some limit to let the car go to limb mood

Just for your info I have chipped in that's man value and well being by paying for his product where he has failed to give back to me or pay me back I hope you understand this when you stand in a similar situation one day

One more thing I wish Speedriven a good business and hopefully continue with making monsters and providing the 1000whp dyno someday

Just wanted to say thanks to speedriven and inform everyone they did an awesome job tuning my s600 and did it for half that of renntech... they did it right and it was back to me the day after they received it..car was only down for 3 days..and i will definitely use their company again..
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by GotTheBenz

Just wanted to say thanks to speedriven and inform everyone they did an awesome job tuning my s600 and did it for half that of renntech... they did it right and it was back to me the day after they received it..car was only down for 3 days..and i will definitely use their company again..
It is clear you are here to pick there name up good luck and hope for you guys all the best Again can you ask them to provide us with the 1000whp dyno sheet? Instead of posting a happy customer with a tune that is happy to pay half the price for it for his S600 people with S600's shouldn't talk much about few hundred dollers difference for a tune! This is a high end luxury car not a cheap wanna be ricer car!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM

N/A
It is clear you are here to pick there name up good luck and hope for you guys all the best Again can you ask them to provide us with the 1000whp dyno sheet? Instead of posting a happy customer with a tune that is happy to pay half the price for it for his S600 people with S600's shouldn't talk much about few hundred dollers difference for a tune! This is a high end luxury car not a cheap wanna be ricer car!
Whoa...now you're insulting another MBW member (Cpt.Joe1983)!?

"Those that don't respect others, lack respect for themselves."--A. Lincoln

Not to insult you, but just stating Facts: In just a few posts, you've revealed yourself to be an exaggerator, financial-retard, hippocrite, and insincere liar

a.you stated to Igor that you've got a tuning shop that never, EVER
fails their customers. Really?! Is that, In Your Dreams Tuning Werks?!

What part of planet-baloney do you live on dbason!? Sounds like you
need to get off "dbase" pipe!

b.you believe that because you paid double than Cpt.Joe1983, that you
are much smarter than he.

Well, my first cell phone in 89' was a Nokia "brick" that costed me $3,000 U.S
My last cell phone an iPhone cost me $199.

So in your figuring, that Nokie brick must have been better?

My first plasma tv costed me $9,000 years ago. My last plasma costed
me $4,000. So my $9,000 old tv is better!?

Hey, let me sell you my old Nokia and Plasma for twice what I paid---then....you can feel smarter than me.

c.you're a hippocrite. You say that your negative post was just you, "given
my experience...". Then, with your other mouth, you say of CptJoe's
positive Speedriven post, you're trying to " pick there name up"

So your "experiences" are to be respected, while other's experiences
of Speedriven are to be devalued?! Ohh...sorry

d.you're an insincere LIAR. You said couple times here, "I wish Speedriven
a good business!". Yet, when Cpt.Joe's post was revealed---you clearly
wasn't aligned with your "good wishes" of Speedriven. LIAR!

In closing, every word you spew, just keeps showing what a liar, hippocrite,
exaggerating, financial-retard you are. Sorry, that's just the facts

-R
Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 PM

N/A
Oh...and if you weren't so lazy. You would have found your 1,000bhp PROOF
of Speedriven, under: 805whp V12 from Speedriven

From original post. Enjoy :

Here is another graph,

This car is getting more and more interesting to drive.

Click this bar to view the full image.

And how DARE YOU disrespect others--again, as you said "Ricer"!?

I'd rather be a "Ricer", than an exaggerating, hippocrite, financial-retard,
that is lazy-minded and an insincere LIAR Get off dbase pipe

Last edited by GotTheBenz; 03-14-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 AM

GotTheBenz it is clear you are one of those type of guys who are here just to find a way or another to bash in and create something out of nothing! I have stated my bad experience with them and i DO wish them good luck but they will never get business from me again.

I would like to point out something to you, do you see that dyno sheet you have posted thats a potential 850-870WHP pull, but cuz of the limitation of the ECU you can see how the limitation kicks in at 105mph and then starts picking up again! reminds me of how my car was before going into limb mood felt really strong and then something kicks in and take out all the power, had to switch her on and off to get her going properly again. and this is still not 1000WHP!

I would request that you would be a little more mature and stop attaching names that do not reflect on me or my personality, I have respected you through out this conversation and i would expect the same from a mature person.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
American's maybe experts in buying things for the american market.My SL600 was tuned by another German Quality Tuner, not MKB or Brabus. He has excellent connections to MB and AMG Factory Engine development.He knows how far you can go without changing engine internals of the M275, to stay safe and reliable in the longrun and even on the German Autobahn. From what I see Speeddriven does not know this. This is the difference of German Quality Tuning and American Tuning. By the way, every serious German Tuner offers Intercooler Upgrades for the M275, although they do not mention it on their websites. Some clients in Europe want their engine look like stock, mainly for warranty reasons.
Is this your SL600....
It's faaaaaast

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...auto-bahn.html

SL600 V12 tuned at German autobahn
+200 mph / +320 km/h

Juha

Last edited by Ekselent; 03-14-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

N/A
GotTheBenz it is clear you are one of those type of guys who are here just to find a way or another to bash in and create something out of nothing! I have stated my bad experience with them and i DO wish them good luck but they will never get business from me again.

I would like to point out something to you, do you see that dyno sheet you have posted thats a potential 850-870WHP pull, but cuz of the limitation of the ECU you can see how the limitation kicks in at 105mph and then starts picking up again! reminds me of how my car was before going into limb mood felt really strong and then something kicks in and take out all the power, had to switch her on and off to get her going properly again. and this is still not 1000WHP!

I would request that you would be a little more mature and stop attaching names that do not reflect on me or my personality, I have respected you through out this conversation and i would expect the same from a mature person.

dbase pipe,

Please send documentation from dictionary showing that calling
out your injustice to Cpt.Joe and Speedriven , your exagerations, your hippocricy, your elist attitudes, your insincere lying---is called, as
you state "immature".

You are giving me such great laughs with what I see as pure NARCISM
on your part. You actually called yourself, "mature"!?

Get off your high-horse and off dbase pipe

Hey, news for you: a big bhp motor---doesn't make you a big man
...and it sure doesn't make you "mature".

Thank you for being such wonderful entertainment.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
Originally Posted by Ekselent
Is this your SL600....
It's faaaaaast

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...auto-bahn.html

SL600 V12 tuned at German autobahn
+200 mph / +320 km/h

Juha

Hi Juha,

I know this video from Youtube. This was not my car.

My SL600 is sold and I drove it to 330 KM/H = 205 MPH with GPS. It was limited at that speed. Completely unlimited I think it would have reached a few little KM/H more, because it was still accelerating on plain street.

I am very curious how much my SL65 will achieve. I am sure it is quite a lot faster, because of the Power-Difference and it is not limited at 330 KM/H...

This is going to be FUN.

P.S. In an older thread I loaded up a screenshot of my Garmin-GPS with V-Max from my old SL600

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...r-eyes-15.html
Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Thanks guys, changing turbos may be a bit too much, will intercoolers make
much difference, with an increase in boost of course. I need this before
approaching anyone.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Hi Juha,

I know this video from Youtube. This was not my car.

My SL600 is sold and I drove it to 330 KM/H = 205 MPH with GPS. It was limited at that speed. Completely unlimited I think it would have reached a few little KM/H more, because it was still accelerating on plain street.

I am very curious how much my SL65 will achieve. I am sure it is quite a lot faster, because of the Power-Difference and it is not limited at 330 KM/H...

This is going to be FUN.

P.S. In an older thread I loaded up a screenshot of my Garmin-GPS with V-Max from my old SL600

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...r-eyes-15.html
Hello.

I have an BMW M5E60 and I think it's a little faster than ECU tuned SL600.....
I'm gone test it this summer.... they are a little different cars at the power band and the M5 is better to handle and drive in high speeds..... thats my opinion.

Was your SL 600 tuned? Which companies tune the mercedes V12 engines i Germany?
I don't mean Brabus, Carlsoon or AMG.

I want the Black series but is so expensive to bring it to Finland.
The car cost about 200 000 Eur there and before I have it here I must pay at least 120 000 - 130 000 Eur taxes on that price.

Thank you.
Juha
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
everyone is always the best tuner until they aren't. Just like your car runs great until it doesn't.

This "whose better" crap is really tiresome. No one is perfect, no one gets it right all the time, and the tuner you think is amazing may be outdone the next day...at which point you will run over there and claim the new guy is the best.

Whats embarassing is that MB tuners are actually so far behind compared to domestic and import tuning entities that have been making big power for decades.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:23 PM

SL65 R230
Originally Posted by Ekselent
Hello.

I have an BMW M5E60 and I think it's a little faster than ECU tuned SL600.....
I'm gone test it this summer.... they are a little different cars at the power band and the M5 is better to handle and drive in high speeds..... thats my opinion.

Was your SL 600 tuned? Which companies tune the mercedes V12 engines i Germany?
I don't mean Brabus, Carlsoon or AMG.

I want the Black series but is so expensive to bring it to Finland.
The car cost about 200 000 Eur there and before I have it here I must pay at least 120 000 - 130 000 Eur taxes on that price.

Thank you.
Juha

Hello Juha,

my SL600 had a good ECU-Tune and some minor changes. Nothing really special.

In Germany there are some good little tuners who work behind the scenes.
If you are really interested for your own car, maybe you can PM me.

M5 E60 and Sl600 are two completely different cars. For me the Power Delivery in the SL is much better and more impressing because it is so smooth, quiet and effortless. But this is personal taste.

Until a M5 is not heavily tuned, a tuned SL600 should be faster from 200KM/H to V-Max.

The Black Series is a very rare and expensive car. Maybe if money would play no role I would buy one.

But I want a Convertible and a tuned SL65 is also faster in Topspeed because of the much better Aerodynamics. SL65 Black Series needs approx. 1000 HP to reach 350 KM/H. (see MKB-Video from Papenburg/Germany)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Oliverk

"...No one is perfect, no one gets it right all the time, and the tuner you think is amazing may be outdone the next day..."

"...Whats embarassing is that MB tuners are actually so far behind compared to domestic and import tuning entities that have been making big power for decades.
+1 on ..."no one is perfect..." Well, except when someone is high on "dbase" pipe.

As for "embarassing...", that's an interesting point of view.

Personally, I can see why you'd think that. For me, we started making
big horse power EVEN before there was import tuners on the scene.

Yet, I think the MB tuners are beholden to the law of "economy of scale",
not so much that they can't keep up with import tuners,ect.

My view is: there is simply more people with imports and domestic
cars---that can afford the cars and tuning.

My first Chevy Cheville costed me $5,000, so I could afford to dump $40K into it.

As opposed to a BMW or MB starting out at $45K, before any goodies are added...

So said differently, how many Hondas and Chevy's are out there vs. BMW's and MB's?
And, many BMW's and MB's come purrty fast already, which shrinks the prospective upgrade market too.

Just my .02 cents.

And THANK YOU for helping dbase pipe come to REALITY

Last edited by GotTheBenz; 03-14-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Speedriven NEVER claimed to make 1000 rwhp

They claimed 1000 BHP or Crank HP add 18% drivetrain loss to = BHP #'s (1100+ BHP is easily atainable on ms109 or q16 race maps)
PS you can't read Dyno's what you're seeing @ 100+ mph isn't ECU limitation it's called a Dyno SPIKE... Reseach Dyno Spikes before flappin' ur gums

EDIT: Another Speedriven Dyno you failed to find 831 rwhp = 1,013 Crank HP & 1,104 crank Torque..
Stage 3 Turbo kit on LOW boost & 93/100 octane mix
If they ran 109-Q16 even on LOW boost it could make 900 rwhp etc..

Last edited by Thericker; 03-14-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Thericker
They claimed 1000 BHP or Crank HP add 18% drivetrain loss to = BHP #'s (1100+ BHP is easily atainable on ms109 or q16 race maps)
PS you can't read Dyno's what you're seeing @ 100+ mph isn't ECU limitation it's called a Dyno SPIKE... Reseach Dyno Spikes before flappin' ur gums
+1 to the 20th power!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:59 AM

SL65 R230
Interesting.

The torque-curve in the second diagram is very unusual for a V12-Biturbo.
Getting over 700 ft-lbs after 4.300 RPM ?

Can anyone explain, why it differs so much from the first diagram which offers nearly the same Peak-Power but with a completely different torque an HP curve?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
Originally Posted by sound 8
Thanks guys, changing turbos may be a bit too much, will intercoolers make
much difference, with an increase in boost of course. I need this before
approaching anyone.

Not sure why this thread got quite so dramatic, but I would say ECU and TCU tune are always a good first, after that many people have different preferences. I use mine as a vacation car and don't want heat soak when it is getting ran hard so I went the bigger heat exchanger route, I know speedriven says if you upgrade the intercoolers you can get a bit stronger tune as it should compensate for additional heat. I have also heard that many people like the upgrade of an LSD because it helps stabilize acceleration, but the 65's have a 30% lock up rear I believe, so this may not be as high on the priority list, but toe links can help if you have a lot of "wiggle"

I hope this helps, and geez what a bunch of drama this thread became, we don't need to disect every post to make a mountain out of every ant hill, and on the other side, this is a forum used to spread car knowledge, we are talking about nuclear secrets, everyone needs to take a zanex

I had a "good" experience with speedriven, almost great. They got my ecu/tcu tune back in a flash, and even retuned my TCU for free when it got replaced under warranty. I would call them great if they had a dedicated contact person-emails, calls, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM

This is my car's dyno done 10 days ago on a SuperFlow dyno, I do have a "spike dyno" reading similar to the one GotTheBenz posted done when i had the Speedriven tune unfortunately I can't find it, but I will have it Monday hopefully and post it for your comparison. Oh yes this is on pump gas
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Size's and Make question?-image.jpg  

Last edited by dbasons55; 03-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM

N/A
This is my car's dyno done 10 days ago on a SuperFlow dyno, I do have a "spike dyno" reading similar to the one GotTheBenz posted done when i had the Speedriven tune unfortunately I can't find it, but I will have it Monday hopefully and post it for your comparison. Oh yes this is on pump gas
With regards to this thread, OP, and semi-OP, I for one couldn't care
what you show or don't show, on pump gas or tequilla

Your alledged hp on alledged "pump" gas isn't THE POINT

Point is (prior to your exaggeration, hippocricy, slander, narcicism,
elitist attitude, and insincere LYING) : that folks are asking for "what
to upgrade next", and Speedrivens as you said, "Proof" of 1,000bhp

Well, I for one----got my PROOF, as many did here

So don't get off topic, NO ONE asked you about your alledged HP.

Oh, and get off "dbase" pipe
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM

99 CLK 430 COUPE
CD HEAD SET OR ORIGINAL FIX..

Hey guys I was trying to figure out what to do, I been trying to eject the CD changer but it won't eject.! What can I do...can it be the fuze or electrical? Please help...I want to keep it original nothing new..
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
IDK (exactly) what's up w/the graph I posted

Interesting.

The torque-curve in the second diagram is very unusual for a V12-Biturbo.
Getting over 700 ft-lbs after 4.300 RPM ?

Can anyone explain, why it differs so much from the first diagram which offers nearly the same Peak-Power but with a completely different torque an HP curve?
It's making mad hp/tq very high in RPM band, & at 4.300 RPM's it's making far North of 700 rwt, according to graph it's making 830-840 rwtq @ 4.300

Only explanation I have is it's a stage 3 turbo kit @ LOW-LOW boost (prototype in testing faze) possibly moving the Power Band much higher in RPM band vs other Speedriven dyno's ref in this thread are on Higher boost etc my best guess

Last edited by Thericker; 03-15-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Instead of politely eating Crow as you've been served a nice plate full..

You continue to derail thread w/your own dyno's & now claim knowledge of what Dyno Spikes are etc vs politely acknowledging someone ANSWERED your belligerent misinformed cries for proof of 1000 rwhp...
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM

You continue to derail thread w/your own dyno's & now claim knowledge of what Dyno Spikes are etc vs politely acknowledging someone ANSWERED your belligerent misinformed cries for proof of 1000 rwhp...
So where is that 1000WHP? Coming back with 1000bhp is proof? All I can say that probably out of all of us here you are the expert with the V12 engine and you know what that spike represents! And that's why you or any speedriven claimed 700+WHP can't take the trophy away from Renntech although you claim 100whp more than there CL65, Marcin is a great developer and what he is doing for you guys is great but he isn't the best ECU tuner! And he didn't remap my TCU that I PAID for! All aside you in your prior post say 1100+BHP is easily "Atinable" ! so where is it? You have a monster build but the wrong tune, and I hope one day he figures it out, even Jody has the same spike in his EV12 at around the same speed

And sharing my dyno was so you can see how a V12 with GT30's should look like no spikes

Last edited by dbasons55; 03-15-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM

N/A
+1--again

This dbase guy just can't get off dbase pipe.

I love how he vaults his spew as "I'm just sharing"...

Yet, when others answers his own cries of "proof!"--then
they're wrongly "lifting up Speedriven's name."
Dbase pipe, no one cares about ya...no one asked
Now add 'thread jacker' to exaggrator, hippocrite, narcisistic,
elitist, insincere LYER, oh, and "belligerent misinformed".

dbase pipe, we're all so impressed with your humanity and "wow" bhp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Turbo Size's and Make question?