SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: How lucky are we?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
Post Hankooks.

Originally Posted by cal1
I'm in the market for tires. My top objective is straight line traction above all else. Been looking at the Hankooks, but just can't pull the trigger on them. So you think they stick well even for modified 55ks? I know nothing is going to stop the tires from breaking loose under heavy throttle.
Well I can tell you that straight line traction with the Hankooks are very good. But my SL55 is stock (as far as I know anyway lol) so can not mention on that front. I can tell you the night I picked up my SL55 from the Target parking lot at 12:25am as I was pulling out onto Route 100 North I decided to put my foot down and see that the car had for power.. well the back end broke loose and started to wiggle until the traction control quickly took over and then she straightened right out. With the Hankooks I decided to take off the traction control (kids don't try this at home) and do the same thing. Well the dual burn out marks were nice and straight all the way up my driveway and she did not wiggle her *** one bit (I have pictures so say the word and the burnout pics with be posted!!!). Of course at this rate I will be replacing the rear tires much faster then the fronts since you can not rotate tires on these beasts... but hey your only a kid once right (48 year old kid anyway lol)???

Oh and I have had them out on wet roads and was very happy with the traction. Of course I did not have the nerve to plant my heavy foot even with the traction control on but I am sure she would have handled it just fine on the wet roads with the Hankooks.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
Talking SL55 rule!!

Originally Posted by B R
I'm not so lucky, I only gots a SL55
That is all I have and I can tell you that all my friends and most of my family (girlfriend thinks it is impracticable, not sure what that even means.... lol) think I am very lucky, especially after I take them for a little spin....

Just the low rubble sound alone make me smile!