SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Climate Control Jacked Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Climate Control Jacked Up

I took out the center counsel to wrap it in carbon fiber and after reinstalling everything I can't change the temperature or direction of air flow on the climate control. The fan speed control operates fine but the air is blowing from the vents and the foot well and I can't change it. No matter if it is set to auto or I try to adjust the air flow manually it won't change from blowing out both the footwell and dash vents.

I did notice I broke a small tab that held in a flat wire with about 5 strands wide and pinched it into metal pins. I seated the wire back into this clip and hot glued it in place. I wonder if not all wires are making contacts with the pins.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM
nir

2008 s63
I had similar problem when installing new radio but my center vents did not work. pulled out the center console cover around the shifter apart and one of the wires were not seated correctly - maybe your problem is similar - check the wires correctly.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM

SL55
Thanks for the reply I will double check the wires.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 AM

SL55
So the saga continues. Now I have noticed that not only does the air only come out of the vents, none of the vent control wheels work. The two center vents and the drivers side vent all have air blowing form them but the passenger side vent does not and you cant control any of them with the wheels under the center vents. the only wire that was not connected properly was a flat wire (part# 230 820 0215) that is pinched through 8 pins on the back of the climate control unit. I was able to reset this wire and that made things worse. With this wire reconnected I could not control the any function of the HVAC system and the fan would continue to blow with the car off and the key out of the ignition. I disconnected the battery to try to "reset" it and this did not work either. I have since removed the flat wire again so that the blower does not stay on constantly.

I don't think it is the climate control unit itself as I can adjust the fan speed and turn it off. It has something to do with where ever the flat wire goes which I believe is to the vent control wheels.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:23 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
The vent control wheels are not mechanical- they control stepper motors that open and close the vent flaps.

Disassemble everything again and start measuring continuity with an ohm meter- this will tell you if you Nicked something. Check also carefully all connectors. Obviously make sure ignition is off. I would disconnect also both batteries just to be safe.

My guess is that you have forgotten to plug in something somewhere. There are a lot of connectors in there. Some are under the head unit.

Last edited by alx; 05-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.