SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New SL driven yesterday - personal review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
nir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 s63
New SL driven yesterday - personal review

I drove a R231 yesterday in Los Angeles. I have owned 5 Mercedes SL, and have tweaked (read modified) everyone of them, so i am quite familiar with them to say the least. I drove the new SL for 30 minutes highway and roads. My initial opinion is that it felt more like an upgrade (2009 to 2009) than a radical change(R129 to R230).

The good: cool new gadgets/features
1. foot activated trunk opening
2. plenty of power for a non amg model, much sportier than old sl550 due to weight loss and twin turbos.
3. inflatable side seat bolsters that inflate and deflate depending on direction of turn. It is cool, at first but after a few minutes it was extremely distracting, that i had to turn it off.
4. Seats - Very comfortable - I had mine just recovered, and they felt even better. all massage function are now in the radio (much better than the bottom of the seat)

The not so good:
1. Looks: I looked at the car for a long time inside and after drive but I have to say that after further reflection I do not like the new front. i understand the new EU rules (pedestrian) but frankly the y could have done a much better job Hopefully AMG will have better front bumper - more like sls.
2. Stereo - No touchscreen - just like the ML - it is clear but very boring. I have a touch screen audio system in my SL55 that looks much better than the one in the new sl, and have all he features/toys(except for hard drive - which is useless anyway - who listens to cd's anymore)
3. the Eco button turns off the motor to save gas, but it is very distracting. Most new owners are turning the option off (blogs).
4. Cup holder: now in center panel and in between seats - they are in the way unlike the current ones.
5. Roof - can not be open unless stationary - Remains to be seen if the smart top we have on our cars will work with this car.

So the Verdict : After getting back to my sl55, i missed very little in or out (I admit that I do like that auto trunk) and that says it all. It is a good improvement, with new gauges and layout, but not radical enough to want me want to upgrade - especially at $120K out the door. Maybe in 2/3 years, i will get one for 60K, once they have nicer body kits. I prefer keeping the paid for Sl55 with 2 years of warranty and activating the reservation # on my Tesla S this year
Ps: Incidently i went to their AMG seperate floor and they had an SLS cabriolet - now that is an amazing looking car! ( i own only the steering wheel on my SL!)

Last edited by nir; 05-31-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM
nir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 s63
Anyone else drive it - i would be intrigued what your thoughts are.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by nir
Anyone else drive it - i would be intrigued what your thoughts are.
Different experience for me.
I could never find a comfy driving position in previous SL (Had 63 and 65),it was always a compromise between my back (too upright) and legs too close to dash.
New car is a different game altogether,at 6'5" ,215lbs,I had to move the seat forward,plenty of room for a basketball player.
Performance on par with the SL63 (I had 2009),even better handling,feels lighter with quicker responses.
Materials in cabin feel more upscale,I did not see cheap plastic that was visible even in SL65 (I had 2006).
Love the wind deflector (power),car overall even more usable for daily driving then ever before.
For all practical reasons,it offers so much in performance that paying more for
AMG is a bit pointless (if you want a daily driver).
I'm a mental case though,so will go for AMG anyway.
The following users liked this post:
VicTheSL63Guy (08-15-2023)