SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 AMG (New and potent!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
SL65 AMG (New and potent!)

Unwrapped at the Geneva autoshow was the new SL65 AMG.

This twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V-12 produces 612 hp and 730 lb-ft of torque. Styling has new wheels and and a more aggressive front spoiler incorporating air outlets in front of the wheel arches.

Coupe and sedan versions will reportedly follow.

No word yet on US availibilty.

Of course, if this scan fits into this block with legible quality, you can read this for yourself. I summarized in case it does not. This peice was scanned from the Insight section of The Star magazine, the official publication of MBCA. (July/August 2003)
Attached Thumbnails SL65 AMG (New and potent!)-sl65-amg.jpg  

Last edited by c2jones; 07-20-2003 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:38 AM

05 E500
SL65 AMG Tuners

I wonder who will be the first to get 800 horses out of this?

RENNtech, Lorinser, Brabus, Carlsson...?

Probably RENNtech.

That is, when its available in the US!

Chris
Old 07-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am urged strongly to post the WTLW picture

There have been many threads but i'll try to answer that US Avail question. It's not coming directly, like the previous S63's and stuff you had to get a 600 and then send it to AMG through their Special Wishes department to get it customized.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 PM

When did the Geneva show take place? Isn't this show usually around March? How come there is nothing in the news yet?
Old 07-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by benznut
When did the Geneva show take place? Isn't this show usually around March? How come there is nothing in the news yet?
Your right, Geneva show is already long gone, and as far as the news is concernced, I think CNN doesn't give a rats *** how much horsepower a Mercedes is shelling out
Old 07-21-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Coupe & Sedan to follow! THE SL IS ONLY A ROADSTER ! what the hell do they mean.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:58 AM
TCI

Originally posted by muhri
Coupe & Sedan to follow! THE SL IS ONLY A ROADSTER ! what the hell do they mean.
My guess is that they are referring to the '65' versions of the S and the CL

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by vraa
... as far as the news is concernced, I think CNN doesn't give a rats *** how much horsepower a Mercedes is shelling out

I meant Car and Driver, Germancarfans, or even Autospies, etc. It certainly would not be CNN material, unless someone important was killed by it. ;-)
Old 07-21-2003, 12:22 PM

05 E500
Publicity

Well, some spy sources have reported on this, but the car was still under spy photos and very few details were known.

The difference now is that MB has officially released photos and early information on the car.

For the early spy photos, here's one example:

http://www.mbspy.com/r230sl65.htm

Muhri:

Indeed, they are referring to other models that would share the powerplant. (S and CL).

Chris
Old 07-21-2003, 02:44 PM

Re: Publicity

Originally posted by c2jones
The difference now is that MB has officially released photos and early information on the car.
Chris
Chris,

Where can we see the official photos you are talking about?

Seems a bit strange that this article talks about the succession of the coupe and sedan, since the coupe (CL65) has already been introduced.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by benznut
I meant Car and Driver, Germancarfans, or even Autospies, etc. It certainly would not be CNN material, unless someone important was killed by it. ;-)
I gotcha, but it would be kinda cool to have the SL65 in the news.. I think?

Maybe the source is just misinformed?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
The source for the SL65 thread, The STAR, is wrong again!!! The SL65 was not at the spring Geneva show. The CL65 was there. There has been considerable speculation on the US availability on the SL, S, and CL65 models. The STAR may very well be the "official" MB club magazine but it's full of typos and mistakes, the editor doesn't edit very well.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Well, 612 HP and 730 ft-lb torque sounds good to me!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 09:13 PM

05 E500
The Star

The STAR may very well be the "official" MB club magazine but it's full of typos and mistakes, the editor doesn't edit very well.
Yes, I've noticed the sometimes excessive typographical and grammatical errors. This is something one becomes accustomed to witnessing in forums and the like, but one would not expect to be the case with this magazine. (Of course, I see even grammatical errors on educational TV shows like Jeopardy, from the teletext intended for viewers.)

But being new to MBCA, thus this magazine, I was not yet aware of the errors within. The Mercedes Momentum magazine is also prone to errors. For a world-class automaker, they don't seem to sweat the details in the print communication. Even their cars have dipped in recent years (JD Power & Associates.)

Thanks for the heads-up tip on this.

PS, When I was first looking into the C230K for my wife, while the car was already on dealership floors, MBUSA was saying the car "did not exist." Several reps all shared in the erroneous commentary. These reps only had enough neural activity going on to strictly refer to their brochures (like someone on the street could do), and, if the vehicle was not pictured, they did not sell it, they reasoned.

I took names and extentions and, eventually, I reached managers who listened upon my three-way calls to witness the gross incompetence themselves. The reps were just not paying any attention to their internal (intranet) messages from the company. Simply woeful and inexcusable.

It seems there are few things MB that are not done very well.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Incompetence by the reps?....maybe. Or it also seems highly understandable the reps you are referring to dont want the buyer to wait for next year's car. They would rather sell a car today. This seems the more likely explanation.

T

Last edited by Doctodd33; 07-21-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

well !

i live in geneva and never saw an sl65 amg

i was there 5 times in 10 days

i saw a cl65 amg

any mix up here or are you a journalist ?!
Old 07-26-2003, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i d want a CL65 AMG even though the price would be very noticeable
Old 07-26-2003, 12:40 PM

05 E500
MBUSA Rep Incompetence.

Attn: Doctodd33

highly understandable the reps you are referring to dont want the buyer to wait for next year's car.
Actually, respectfully, perhaps another review of my posting would have you recognize that the car I was "referring to" was, once again, "already on the dealership (showroom) floors." (Please reread the post.)

This time anyway, the matter was precisely as described. They had no reason to encumber the sale process of a 2003 car that was on their dealership floors in February of 2003. This is primetime for selling and the markup on just-introduced models is certainly there for the taking. (MB is good at this.) Besides, the purpose of the call was for information about special accessories per a special order car from Stuttgart, as we eventual placed and took delivery of.

Remember, I called in to get additional certain details from MBUSA, not to learn about the whereabouts of the car itself. The model I sought was right in front of me physically. When I called in, everyone I spoke to (about 7 reps in all!) insistently claimed the car simply "did not exist" and that the dealership might be "trying to bait and switch me."

This was totally appalling and woefully inexcusable, especially about their own dealerships! (The car could even be seen on some dealership websites at the time!) I brought this to the attention of these dealerships and they put me through to top managerial sources with MBUSA who listened in horror and embarrassment upon conference calls with their own reps and myself.

Truth is, they’re too often lazy, incompetent and without enough disciplinary repercussions for poor job performance. Too many of them just open a brochure and read it to you, just as you could do yourself. A good rep would keep themselves updated, concerned and attentive to their internal information items to properly answer questions like mine. Their poor regard for professionalism is, inescapably, a reflection upon MBUSA as a whole by allowing this to get so awkward and widespread.

This is the sad, but true episode I witnessed. I have names, dates, times, etc. It was a sore incident for them. My dealerships used this to show me how they resolve issues "from the dealership perspective."

Anyhow, we bought the car as planned and relish the car itself. The reps at MBUSA, however, often leave much to be desired. This is why the aforementioned magazines errors, etc., in no way at all surprise me. Overall quality control and the lack thereof, is especially hard to mask.

Let’s face it, MB gains from the perception of quality and prestige (usually justified by leading technology). As this aids their image and sales, they are increasingly loosing their need, thus concern for stellar customer service in several ways. This said, their policies of customer service, anyway, still help veil these service failures elsewhere.

Until this begins to catch up with them, they will not change. (For instance, they had their best year in sales despite an embarrassing drop in several quality control surveys and studies showing their service incident rate as excessive, especially for the price they demand.)

Should they wish to change, these company reps would be a vital place to start.

Hope this clarifies the matter on my end.

Last edited by c2jones; 07-26-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
ill let u guys know if RENNTech gets ahold of one!!!
Old 07-26-2003, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Re: MBUSA Rep Incompetence.

Originally posted by c2jones
Attn: Doctodd33

Actually, respectfully, perhaps another review of my posting would have you recognize that the car I was "referring to" was, once again, "already on the dealership (showroom) floors." (Please reread the post.)

This time anyway, the matter was precisely as described. They had no reason to encumber the sale process of a 2003 car that was on their dealership floors in February of 2003. This is primetime for selling and the markup on just-introduced models is certainly there for the taking. (MB is good at this.) Besides, the purpose of the call was for information about special accessories per a special order car from Stuttgart, as we eventual placed and took delivery of.

Remember, I called in to get additional certain details from MBUSA, not to learn about the whereabouts of the car itself. The model I sought was right in front of me physically. When I called in, everyone I spoke to (about 7 reps in all!) insistently claimed the car simply "did not exist" and that the dealership might be "trying to bait and switch me."

This was totally appalling and woefully inexcusable, especially about their own dealerships! (The car could even be seen on some dealership websites at the time!) I brought this to the attention of these dealerships and they put me through to top managerial sources with MBUSA who listened in horror and embarrassment upon conference calls with their own reps and myself.

Truth is, they’re too often lazy, incompetent and without enough disciplinary repercussions for poor job performance. Too many of them just open a brochure and read it to you, just as you could do yourself. A good rep would keep themselves updated, concerned and attentive to their internal information items to properly answer questions like mine. Their poor regard for professionalism is, inescapably, a reflection upon MBUSA as a whole by allowing this to get so awkward and widespread.

This is the sad, but true episode I witnessed. I have names, dates, times, etc. It was a sore incident for them. My dealerships used this to show me how they resolve issues "from the dealership perspective."

Anyhow, we bought the car as planned and relish the car itself. The reps at MBUSA, however, often leave much to be desired. This is why the aforementioned magazines errors, etc., in no way at all surprise me. Overall quality control and the lack thereof, is especially hard to mask.

Let’s face it, MB gains from the perception of quality and prestige (usually justified by leading technology). As this aids their image and sales, they are increasingly loosing their need, thus concern for stellar customer service in several ways. This said, their policies of customer service, anyway, still help veil these service failures elsewhere.

Until this begins to catch up with them, they will not change. (For instance, they had their best year in sales despite an embarrassing drop in several quality control surveys and studies showing their service incident rate as excessive, especially for the price they demand.)

Should they wish to change, these company reps would be a vital place to start.

Hope this clarifies the matter on my end.

Point taken and clarified. That was truly a fu#@ up on their part. Good job holding their asses to the fire. Maybe they will get their act together instead of basking in gluttony.

T