SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: "Car to low" message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
Question "Car to low" message

So my SL55 sat for a week and 1/2 and when I started her up today the display on the dash said the car was to low. I hit the ABC button that raises her up and the message went away and then I lowered her and all was right as rain. Just say to long????
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
This is (more or less) normal behavior. Unless this happens after an hours parking you should be fine.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
correct. the car "deflating" over a week or more is ok.

if it does it overnight you have a valve block or shock problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:00 PM

2011 IS350C
Thx. How often should the fluid be changed in the ABC? I was thinking about taking the car in for new oil and filter and also new transfluid and filter but did not know if I should also have the ABC fluid changed or wait until I have the front struts replaces and do it then?? The struts are fine but the ball joints on them are shot????

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
You can check the condition of the ABC fluid and act accordingly.

When the struts (or other ABC elements) are replaced you'll have a fluid/filter change as a bonus.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
Thx. How often should the fluid be changed in the ABC? I was thinking about taking the car in for new oil and filter and also new transfluid and filter but did not know if I should also have the ABC fluid changed or wait until I have the front struts replaces and do it then?? The struts are fine but the ball joints on them are shot????

Thoughts?
per mb the abc fill is lifetime. in reality this is optimistic.

"fortunately" the abc quality is subpar and when things are replaced the oil is replaced too (at least partially). the jury is still out if the abc fluid needs to be replaced at regular intervals.

i assume the rubber bushings on the bottom of your shocks are the ones that are shot. this is common and unfortunately the bushings are not available separately. none of the shock parts are.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM

2011 IS350C
Question

Originally Posted by alx
per mb the abc fill is lifetime. in reality this is optimistic.

"fortunately" the abc quality is subpar and when things are replaced the oil is replaced too (at least partially). the jury is still out if the abc fluid needs to be replaced at regular intervals.

i assume the rubber bushings on the bottom of your shocks are the ones that are shot. this is common and unfortunately the bushings are not available separately. none of the shock parts are.
Thx for the feedback. I was told that the 2005 models had improved abc quality? Anyway the car does have 77K so I think it is holding up ok? MB inspection also found rear flex disc separated.. From what I have read I should get that taken car ASAP to prevent real damage from happening?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I don't really believe in the "lifetime fill" MB goes by. I changed mine along with all of the other fluids. It may have been overkill, but i put in a new filter, took off the upper ABC reservoir line, cycled the suspension height to pump out all the old fluid while keeping the reservoir full until nothing but clean fluid came out, topped off, ran rodeo, then put in another new filter. All has been fine. Good luck.

Aaron
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
Thx for the feedback. I was told that the 2005 models had improved abc quality? Anyway the car does have 77K so I think it is holding up ok? MB inspection also found rear flex disc separated.. From what I have read I should get that taken car ASAP to prevent real damage from happening?
2007+ is when the abc got updated parts. 2005 is like 2004 is like 2003... etc... faulty valve blocks, self-destructing abc pumps and leaky shocks, bursting hoses and all

you can tell by the look of the valve blocks. the old valve blocks have two separate cylinders. the new ones (more reliable) have the two cylinders kind of fused together.

the flex disc needs to be addressed asap- otherwise you will lose the driveshaft mid-support bearing, tranny mount and in extreme cases - get the tq converter out of whack. you will know you need a new flex plate by the shudder in the drivetrain during more aggressive shifts and.. it only goes downhill from there.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM

2011 IS350C
Question Flex disc info....

Originally Posted by alx
2007+ is when the abc got updated parts. 2005 is like 2004 is like 2003... etc... faulty valve blocks, self-destructing abc pumps and leaky shocks, bursting hoses and all

you can tell by the look of the valve blocks. the old valve blocks have two separate cylinders. the new ones (more reliable) have the two cylinders kind of fused together.

the flex disc needs to be addressed asap- otherwise you will lose the driveshaft mid-support bearing, tranny mount and in extreme cases - get the tq converter out of whack. you will know you need a new flex plate by the shudder in the drivetrain during more aggressive shifts and.. it only goes downhill from there.
Thx for the info. Can anyone replace the flex disc or is it a MB dealer only thing? For example, could I just buy one online and have my own mechanic install it? If easy to replace should both front and back be replaced at same time????