SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Belt wrap kit installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Belt wrap kit installed

Magnificent piece of engineering. Install took about 30 min (shop install).
I know my wrench well and he's a great fab guy, he loved the idea and quality of the materials used.

My boost reading (man pressure) on the dashdaq would fluctuate from 11lb all the way to 14lb. I'm now at a steady 14+lb using a 168 crank along with UPD smaller SC pulley.

If you run the smaller SC pulley, the belt wrap kit in my opinion is a must and those of you running larger than a 168 should get this upgrade ASAP since your belt contact area is decreased from stock.

I used to have moments where the power would feel impressive then not. Its been 2 days now and every mash of the throttle delivers a great big grin and full boost is always there.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Where'd you get the belt wrap kit and smaller SC pulley?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
All the info you need is in this post
https://mbworld.org/forums/e55-amg-w...13-motors.html
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Thanks! I actually found this a few minutes after I responded and already emailed shardul

I'm getting belt slippage on my completely stock car which is part of the reason I've never installed the 172mm pulley I have. I'm looking forward to this mod.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
One of the best supporting upgrades on the market. The SC pulley along with your 172 would put your car on another level.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Looking good E
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
I am waiting on a 180mm pulley. i havn't really looked at the pulley arrangment yet, but after seeing the pics, there definately is a need for this product!

will install lower pulley first, but probably looking at getting the upper pulley, belt and idler kit from ya. hopefully the deal you guys have in the other thread is going abit longer.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
Shardul, very impressed by the quality/fit and finish of the parts. Renntech wouldn't have a hard time charging 3x as much. You guys delivered.

OZ, I went for a ride in a stock E55 that came to the shop for some touch up paint and man was it slow! Compared to my car which I've transformed into a ferocious beast, it felt flat and the power delivery was so subdued. Going from the stock E to my car opened my eyes to how far I've brought my car. My car hits so much harder and the pull is relentless now.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
i bet. i can't wait to get my lower pulley on. i think the biggest thing i feel the car needs is the tcu tune. the way this thing shifts and tries to think at standing start take offs is stupid! if you don't get into it from the stop, it goes into next gear way to fast, then you try and get into it a little and it sounds like a bogging mess tilll you get past 1/2 throttle and it finally kicks down.
i have already done the larger aux he, and johnson pump. next is the tune, 180mm pulley, and tcu tune in one shot. next up would be this mod with blower pulley, and injectors, then meth injection. if still not at my goals, 100hp shot will get me there and running my purge valve as a he spray bar before a run.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG & BMW F10
Looks like I need to get this also...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
OZ, sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to performance mods concerning this platform, I'm impressed considering you've only been around since Sep. I think what your describing is exactly how a stock SL55 performs. Put your pulley on and get tuned, it really wakes the car up, you wont need the TCU tune, trust me.

I dont have a TCU tune and my car will chirp second every now and then.

@RR, you wont be disappointed. Form and function, It looks just as impressive as it performs.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Yup Kustoms install was easy and we checked the boost level and it was constant, the belt wrap kit is great quality, kudos to shardul and brooke
Old 10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
OZ, sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to performance mods concerning this platform, I'm impressed considering you've only been around since Sep. I think what your describing is exactly how a stock SL55 performs. Put your pulley on and get tuned, it really wakes the car up, you wont need the TCU tune, trust me.

I dont have a TCU tune and my car will chirp second every now and then.

@RR, you wont be disappointed. Form and function, It looks just as impressive as it performs.
i have only owned the car a few weeks now actually. but, been spending alot of time on the forums reading and talking with some of the shops. forums are a great research tool so every person doesn't have to try and reinvent the wheel or waste alot of money.
i have been building cars for more than 20 years, had my own parts line and building race engines for people also. every platform is a little different, but, the basics are always the same. . one thing that does surpise me about the car is the throttle response for a 9 to 1 comp car of this weight. looking forward to spinning the blower faster to crisp it up even more!
one thing that bugs me is the price for an aftermarket exhaust for these cars is retarded. it is nearly perfectly symmetrical (only one reverse bend i see to program a cnc mandrel bender), yet prices for a simple cat back are $2k+!! when i get around to it, i will post up my design when finished. could do a header to tip system with cats, full stainless 3", handmade X pipe like burns stainless, and keep price around $2k.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
The low end torque is intoxicating. Mercedes did a fantastic job, but they left so much on the table, which makes it fun for hp junkies like us. I recently added MBH long tube headers to my combo and the sound is downright nasty, once you get into the boost the compression ratio jumps and the sound changes.

Always wanted that SL63 rasp, its pretty close now after adding an Xpipe along with the long tube MBH headers.

I'm sure you know of a good exhaust fab shop, the materials cost around 450 and however long it takes to weld it all up.

Hulk has a full 3 inch custom exhaust setup on his E55, I forget what he payed, but it was very reasonable for the work that was performed. Well below the 2k.

Good to meet you OZ, and look forward to you posting your upgrades!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
The cost of the material was like 400$ or so and my fab shop made a great price on the labor with a custom H pipe... Sounds stock ...NOT!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
thanks man. i just looked up the mbh long headers. very nice looking pieces!

i have a friend that owns a bending shop and they do alot of the bends for some of the large aftermarket exhaust manufactures and alot of the single bends and header/exhaust universal kits you can buy. when ever i need to do exhaust stuff, i run out to him and pic out all my stuff. i have a good tig, so i just do all fab and fitment myself. now if i could just talk mbh out of a couple of their bare exhaust flanges. haha i am enjoying driving the car so much lately though, i'm not willing to have it down for weeks it would take to build my own headers. i may decide to pony up and buy a set.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
what did you use for resonators and or mufflers? high flow cats or delete? i am just bairily out of deq area, so i don't even need to get the car tested at all.

i really like the aeroturbine stuff. resonators are filled with s.s. filler and won't blow out. mufflers are a great engineered piece, and gives an incredibly low and deep sound.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
He has res and cats off and stock mufflers
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
Like Hulk said. Would like to put a nice 3 inch system on it next year with Meisterschaft mufflers.

aeroturbine, wow their stuff is cheap in price. Have you used their stuff?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
i have used it alot. when i was building 350z exhausts i used their mufflers and resonators. my design with their mufflers and resonators set the bolt on record for exhausts that still holds till this day. beat out greddy and hks and everyone else. it made the vq35 v6 sound almost like a v8! i would have zero reservation to use them again!

here is a pic of a dual 3" i was building for the high hp twin turbo cars. we were making the tips and all. came with extra o2 ports already welded in so that guys could plug right in single or even dual widebands right out of the gate.

something far simpler could be done on the sl. sl is almost symetrical, which means only a couple reverse bends to make duplicate sides and alot more room to get 2 3" pipes through everything. atleast easier than the z!
i'm sure i will build one for my car, just welded bends. if there is interest and i can price it right, i could have them measure it and load the program. then it would be fully cnc mandrel bent, made in the u.s.a.

Last edited by overZealous1; 10-09-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03SL55
OZ, that is a nice setup, would like to hear it. What did the record pertain to?

Hardest part would be keeping costs down on a full system. How much for the system in the picture?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
OZ, that is a nice setup, would like to hear it. What did the record pertain to?

Hardest part would be keeping costs down on a full system. How much for the system in the picture?
it was just straight bolt on hp. most others were in the +17-18rwhp, mine got independantly tested and knocked out +25rwhp. that was on a bone stock car. on a built motor twin turbo car, tested by jim wolf against another aftermarket dual set up, it gained 40rwhp and 70ftlbs over the competitor! all of these numbers were uncorrected tune also. the firing order of the vq35 was bank to bank, so it made the most out of an x pipe. on that platform, after i proved the point, every manufacturer started adding x pipes to their design, even greddy. but none were hand made and of quality, and they never understood or believed the mufflers worked, so nobody could still match what i did.

that one i had listed for $1695. was a good price considering materials and each one hand made and welded. the price of stainless has gone up abit, but i am pretty sure the design of one for the sl would be quite abit simpler. we had about 9 hours into each vq exhaust for just fitment and welding. might be able to cut that in half with the sl.
seeing the price of some of the insane companies are asking for exhausts for this car (saw a 24" section of pipe with one bend and someone wanted $1995!!!) i have no doubt i could make something prettier, and perform better for a little over $2k. thats from short headers to tail pipe! long tube headers would just need to have front tubes cut and flange welded on.
before getting ahead of myself, i better build mine first, haha.
it seems that what ever car i have at the time i develop parts for. it starts as just making parts for my own car. my last car was a gts viper. nobody made polyurethane suspension bushings for them. so, i developed them for nearly every year viper. my car parts biz has always been svrtech for short, or svrtechnologies. a search on that should bring up lots of youtube and streetfire videos of the exhausts, dump tubes, and other various parts. i don't have an interest really to turn it into a full time thing. the parts biz is one of the most back stabbing ones i have ever seen. i prefer to enjoy making parts for my car, then limited production of some for others to purchase.

Last edited by overZealous1; 10-10-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
if you take a look at the actual aeroturbine website and see the theories involved with their mufflers, it may make more sense to their design. alot of noise restricted race cars use them. they are very nicely polished also.
only problem i ever had with them was occasionally the inlet or outlets needed to be bumped by an expander a little to work in a slip fit type joint.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SL55
kustom you are my hero!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Remember for these SC engines, you need a little bit of back pressure at the beginning and then open flow once it's running

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Belt wrap kit installed