SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 SL55 stop running... now loud tapping noise...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Jesus, was that blower overdriven?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM
jre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300d
Engine choice

I like to CLS engine. Less miles and three years newer.
Even with changing the harness it is a better choice.
Especially if you're planning on keeping the car.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 IS350C
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jre
I like to CLS engine. Less miles and three years newer.
Even with changing the harness it is a better choice.
Especially if you're planning on keeping the car.
I think I am going to sell/trade the SL55... It was fun for the year I got to drive her but just way to expensive to repair.... Was always my dream car so it is going to be very hard to part with.. :-(

Went with the SL55 engine as it should be a direct drop in. Should ship on Monday.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by DigitalKnight
I think I am going to sell/trade the SL55... It was fun for the year I got to drive her but just way to expensive to repair.... Was always my dream car so it is going to be very hard to part with.. :-(
Sorry to hear that ........ but this kind of car needs to be attended like a child - new or old doesn't matter ..... and if you're not made of money; then this is a must: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124
Theres EVERYTHING you need for do-it-yourself ........ just be glad you don't have a Ferrari .... after 100.000 km. service they take the engine out and take it totally apart ... who want a car like that? (says the guy who just took his engine out last month from his sl55!!

Last edited by amok55amg; 01-26-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM

2004 SL55
FWIW as a long time Ferrari owner they do not take the engine apart after 100,000 km. A few cars TR, 355 required engine removal for timing belt change but that is all. As an aside, I have owned 13 Ferraris over the years and they have been more reliable than my SL55. If they do break, however, it is bend over time in spades.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doctor Mark
FWIW as a long time Ferrari owner they do not take the engine apart after 100,000 km. A few cars TR, 355 required engine removal for timing belt change but that is all. As an aside, I have owned 13 Ferraris over the years and they have been more reliable than my SL55. If they do break, however, it is bend over time in spades.
I see - 13 Ferraris ! if anybody should know then ....... and your absolutely correct with the SL55AMG not being that reliable. After learning about those cars, then you get to know the different issues that come up again and again. Most of the parts that do break down are from manufacturers that makes millions of different car parts for the mainstream car producer. Take the AC compressor - it's know to break down in the sl55amg.... it's a Denso and they make millions of these compressors .... so why does it break? maybe the quality isn't high enough? or could it be simply because it's just another usual part for a ...... usual car? ... so why is it so expensive? could be that there aint that many sl55amg's as there are Fiat Puntos' around .... and also .... theres no room down there in and around the engine ...... for most it's not do-it-yourself .... just my thoughts .......

But supercharge failure isn't that common - it's a maintenance-free concept so why this one broke down would be good to know .... after my opinion there are two possibilities. Something gave way inside the supercharger and continued further down in the engine or there came a foreign object from the intake and into the supercharger ...... would love to dissect it ........
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM

2011 IS350C
Replacement SL55 engine should ship tomorrow and arrive Thursday. I hope it will be transplanted on Friday. Will be nice to have a car again! ;-)

Everyone I have spoken to has never heard of the blower going like this unless it was on modified car. I did send an email over to MB about the issue but I am betting on not getting a reply back from them.

Oh well 7-8K is not the end of the world... but what I thought was a good deal on a used SL55 is turning out to be a very expensive joy ride... but what a joy ride!! ;-)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 AM

Replacement SL55 engine should ship tomorrow and arrive Thursday. I hope it will be transplanted on Friday. Will be nice to have a car again! ;-)

Everyone I have spoken to has never heard of the blower going like this unless it was on modified car. I did send an email over to MB about the issue but I am betting on not getting a reply back from them.

Oh well 7-8K is not the end of the world... but what I thought was a good deal on a used SL55 is turning out to be a very expensive joy ride... but what a joy ride!! ;-)
Lot of money ..... it's a pitty .....but it has happen before https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-diys-etc.html

Did you write to AMG in Germany? or did you contact your nearrest AMG Performance Center?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by amok55amg
Lot of money ..... it's a pitty .....but it has happen before https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...-diys-etc.html

Did you write to AMG in Germany? or did you contact your nearrest AMG Performance Center?
No, I just wrote to the main MBUSA email... were can I find the AMG email link???

We all know what is going to happen when I get the new engine in my SL55 and drive it home from the garage right?????? I am going to get this big $h!t @$$ grin on my face as I jump on the gas and when I see her sitting in my garage I am going just say f-it... spent this much money... might as well keep her..... : smash:
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
No, I just wrote to the main MBUSA email... were can I find the AMG email link???

We all know what is going to happen when I get the new engine in my SL55 and drive it home from the garage right?????? I am going to get this big $h!t @$$ grin on my face as I jump on the gas and when I see her sitting in my garage I am going just say f-it... spent this much money... might as well keep her..... : smash:

thats usually what happens, lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

Yep! The love affair will start all over again and you will forgive and forget until she lets you down again.

I lost count of how many times I told my wife "I'm selling that POS SL" only to come back with "gawd I love that car."
Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM

SL55 AMG EC Stage 5 Beast / ESS S/C E92 M3
+100000000... nuff said!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
i have had mine for about 4 months now. i have only put about 400 miles on it, and most of that was one trip! if i ever stop working on it i will finally be able to enjoy it! lol
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Well - just try and give them a call first .... dont' think you get a new engine out of them but just get some steam off - your entitled to it!

This should be the nearest you: Fort Washington, PA; 404 Pensylvania Ave.; 19034 - tel. +1 (0) 215-646-7700 ... something wrong with there website - cant get in there .....

If you're gonna keep it - then I urge you to buy the STAR DVD ROM - and some tools - no matter what - you gona need it

Last edited by amok55amg; 01-29-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling ..........
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by amok55amg
Well - just try and give them a call first .... dont' think you get a new engine out of them but just get some steam off - your entitled to it!

This should be the nearest you: Fort Washington, PA; 404 Pensylvania Ave.; 19034 - tel. +1 (0) 215-646-7700 ... something wrong with there website - cant get in there .....

If you're gonna keep it - then I urge you to buy the STAR DVD ROM - and some tools - no matter what - you gona need it
Advice I will be heeding in another year when my extended warranty is up. At this point, I am thinking about keeping my SL long term. Of course, I am on the love side of the relationship while the car is down for winter. Since I can't drive it, it can't break.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 AM

124.052 230.374
Nothing else comes close

as a new member and Master Certified factory trained MB tech who worked as the only hourly ( non commisioned) mechanic that dealership had EVER had since it opened in 56. i worked mainly as the 'troubleshooter' who wasnt pressed to get the job out asap which enabled me to explore alot and i do mean A helluva LOT of menus available in the DAS diagnosis AND endless TSB's and plublications related to the Mercedes Engineering Mindset..Electrical systems was my specialty up until 2007 when i left to start my own MB shop here in LR..i my 95 124 coupe has sat under a car cover for the last 6 month while ive been driving a very early production 03 SL55 belonging to a good customer who simply told me to drive it and fix all the problems i found...and i will say i love the car even tho this one has had supposedly a lowering chip installed in the ABC module and the usual over/undrive pulleys on the SC ..i just replaced the SC clutch bearing... talk aboiut an overpriced bearing...now im servicing the ABC which IMHO is q great system if properly maintained (periodic fluid replenishment) does anybody have any new thoughts as to why DK's blower broke..anybody have any idea on what causes the aqueak coming from the SC clutch at initial engagement around 20 mph ?.. i was going toplay with the air gap to see if that helped.. when people used to complain on the service drive (usually in my face lol) about the 'unusual' problems M<B's have.. i tell them that the Mercedes is NOT a trouble free car..but Nothing else IS a Mercedes..plain n simple
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM

2011 IS350C
Well the replacement engine arrived on Friday from Florida and just my luck it was damaged during shipment! Oil leaked all out of the cracked upper oil pan and cracked / broken coils, along with several other issues... Almost like something was dropped on it....

So back it goes and the search continues......

But on the bright side MB called me up after the email I had sent them to inform them about the Supercharger issue! It sure was nice of them to call and tell me that it was not under warranty and that they were sorry to hear about the problem.

Last edited by DigitalKnight; 02-04-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 381 Likes on 317 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Why send the engine back. Sounds like your old one has the parts to fix it.

Have the shipper process a claim and use that to offset the cost.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM

2011 IS350C
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Why send the engine back. Sounds like your old one has the parts to fix it.

Have the shipper process a claim and use that to offset the cost.
I am not the one doing the work. I am paying a MB (no longer authorized) garage $80 and hour to do the swap and they do not feel comfortable putting the engine that arrived into the car due to the damage and the fact that none of the engine openings were sealed/covered after removal from the wrecked car. Also they said it could have damage to it we can not see, he mentioned damaged fly wheel etc...

The easier I can make the swap for them the less it will cost thus why I went with the 03 SL55 engine versus the 08 CLS engine.

If I had the time and energy I might have tried to pull it apart myself but the last car I pulled an engine out of was a 1964 Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible. With that car I could see were everything was and were everything went!

Plus I would need to get a hold of a engine hoist... but I digress....

Last edited by DigitalKnight; 02-04-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM
jre

300d
It would be painful for me to pay $80.00 an hour.
You could always rent an engine hoist and do the job yourself.
It would probably be done in two weekends.
Get it running and then pay them to do programming if it needs to be done.
A great learning experience and find the bond with your car.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by mbcoupe57
as a new member and Master Certified factory trained MB tech who worked as the only hourly ( non commisioned) mechanic that dealership had EVER had since it opened in 56. i worked mainly as the 'troubleshooter' who wasnt pressed to get the job out asap which enabled me to explore alot and i do mean A helluva LOT of menus available in the DAS diagnosis AND endless TSB's and plublications related to the Mercedes Engineering Mindset..Electrical systems was my specialty up until 2007 when i left to start my own MB shop here in LR..i my 95 124 coupe has sat under a car cover for the last 6 month while ive been driving a very early production 03 SL55 belonging to a good customer who simply told me to drive it and fix all the problems i found...and i will say i love the car even tho this one has had supposedly a lowering chip installed in the ABC module and the usual over/undrive pulleys on the SC ..i just replaced the SC clutch bearing... talk aboiut an overpriced bearing...now im servicing the ABC which IMHO is q great system if properly maintained (periodic fluid replenishment) does anybody have any new thoughts as to why DK's blower broke..anybody have any idea on what causes the aqueak coming from the SC clutch at initial engagement around 20 mph ?.. i was going toplay with the air gap to see if that helped.. when people used to complain on the service drive (usually in my face lol) about the 'unusual' problems M<B's have.. i tell them that the Mercedes is NOT a trouble free car..but Nothing else IS a Mercedes..plain n simple
after looking at the pic, my guess is one of the bearings failed allowing rotor contact, which forced the rotor into parts of the case. since it is a screw type, they can generate alot of force and friction when contact is made. the shavings went into intake. my guess is the ticking is due to a piece or 2 holding valve open or bouncing off the valve in the runner to big to pass.
the chirp or sqeek is normal engagement of the sc.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Well the replacement engine arrived on Friday from Florida and just my luck it was damaged during shipment! Oil leaked all out of the cracked upper oil pan and cracked / broken coils, along with several other issues... Almost like something was dropped on it....

So back it goes and the search continues......

But on the bright side MB called me up after the email I had sent them to inform them about the Supercharger issue! It sure was nice of them to call and tell me that it was not under warranty and that they were sorry to hear about the problem.
dam dude. that is pretty crappy about the replacement engine!! i would be irate! ya, best to decline delivery than accept. i have learned the hard way with that. i ordered a body kit once that had been hit by one of the shippers fork lifts! thinking i could repair it and them saying i could still put a claim in, they came back and said they would only pay 25 cents per pound!!
hope you get it resolved.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM

2011 IS350C
Post Engine update....

Engine number 2 should be on its way tomorrow!! I need to get all the SL karma together from you all and see if we cant get this one here to PA in one piece and ready to drop in my 2005 SL55!!! I am Jonesen for some fun driving!

It is the newer 2006 engine with less miles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W219-MERCEDE...00885949135%26
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM

2011 IS350C
Post Pick the car up from the shop tomorrow!!!!

Pick the SL55 up tomorrow. Total cost for the engine swap (not including the price of the engine) $4k.

I guess I will take it some what easy on her just to make sure everything is connected properly and will check for leaks for the first couple of weeks... but after that....
Old 03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
you are making me want to pull my blower off and check the bearings after all you have been through!

almost over though and hopefully back on the road tomorrow!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 SL55 stop running... now loud tapping noise...