SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 buying advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 honda accord coupe
SL55 buying advise

Hi there i am interested in purchasing my first amg and came across a 2004 sl55 white with pano roof! exactly what i have been looking for. the car does have almost 70k miles on it but hey its a 2004, dealer asking 31,950 not including wheels. Anyways i was hoping you guys could let me know what you think about the car. Any help appreciated.

link to car: http://www.jordanmotorz.com/vehicle-...nvertible.html
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM

W124 E500 (RIP), W211 E350 (Sold), R230 SL55 (Current)
I'd hold off for something with a little bit less mileage, even though that is a rare color and my favorite for the SL.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Interesting they post a picture of the console showing a bulb failure...

It's not a lot of money for the car but I agree it would be better to buy a lower mileage example. As always, condition is everything and you should look for a rock-solid maintenance history. Repairs and replacements outside the normal maintenance schedule are very expensive on this car.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
do not buy that car!!! i went and looked at it. it needed about $2-3k alone just in interior fixes. cosmetically it is a junk car. wheels are no longer on car either, which was why i went to look at it.
they used to have price at $39,9. i offered $25k. lol. you can find alot better cars for the money.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
aah crowd sourcing at its best
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM

SL55 AMG
Wow... OZ I went and looked at it as well before finding mine (Aug).... It still had the wheels on it at the time. I had them take them off because I didnt want to pay what they wanted and didnt care to have the wheels anyways since thats what I do...LOL

It had the 2nd cats and resonators off already. Blacked out accents and a lot of things done. I agree, It's not worth what they are asking. I actually piad for an inspection at a local dealer. Came back with serveral issues. I will see if I can find the report. Also...it had the exact same mileage on 8/1/2012 that they show in the current listing. Their story kept changing while I was talkig with them on the phone and via the net. When I got there, I saw why.

Carfax showed that it had 3 previous owners..one I was told being the owner of Jordan Motorz. They took it off the net for a few months after Spet 1. They were asking $39,995 then. I was told how it was a hard model and color to find..etc. I found one newer with 1/3 the miles and in far better shape.

There was a white one that a member here had for sale...it has a berry interior. I spoke with him prior to going with the one I bought. He is located in Souther CA. I will see if I can find the post. Nice guy and gave me all the info I wanted about the car. It had a craked windshield but everything else was solid.

Last edited by pigskinplayers; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM

SL55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...900-miles.html

DoctorJeff is the user.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by pigskinplayers
Wow... OZ I went and looked at it as well before finding mine (Aug).... It still had the wheels on it at the time. I had them take them off because I didnt want to pay what they wanted and didnt care to have the wheels anyways since thats what I do...LOL

It had the 2nd cats and resonators off already. Blacked out accents and a lot of things done. I agree, It's not worth what they are asking. I actually piad for an inspection at a local dealer. Came back with serveral issues. I will see if I can find the report. Also...it had the exact same mileage on 8/1/2012 that they show in the current listing. Their story kept changing while I was talkig with them on the phone and via the net. When I got there, I saw why.

Carfax showed that it had 3 previous owners..one I was told being the owner of Jordan Motorz. They took it off the net for a few months after Spet 1. They were asking $39,995 then. I was told how it was a hard model and color to find..etc. I found one newer with 1/3 the miles and in far better shape.

There was a white one that a member here had for sale...it has a berry interior. I spoke with him prior to going with the one I bought. He is located in Souther CA. I will see if I can find the post. Nice guy and gave me all the info I wanted about the car. It had a craked windshield but everything else was solid.
dang, you had quite a haul to come look at it! they are only about 25 minutes from me. they have some nice cars there, but definately the used car mentality type sales people. they tried to offer me like $20k for my near perfect 650r hennessey viper! i told them to go **** themselves with the pos sl55 they were selling!!
mileage is plus about 7k now and cosmetically it was a mess imo. worst of all was the sales people. i ended up getting mine for a smoking deal and they guy paid me for my viper on top of it. thats the kind of deal i like!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM

SL55 AMG
They were slick talkers that's for sure. The owners nephew seemed to know his stuff but they had to much shade going on for me to deal with them. They had some nice cars available. I think a silver 03 and a black 07 SL also...plus a CLS and a few other Mercs.

Yeah, good thing I had a ton of miles to burn last summer. I actually went to looked something like a total of 9 cars before I found the one I bought North of Phoenix and drove it home with a buddy. It was the 3rd one out in that area that I looked at. I also looked at a really bad Mars Red one in Chicago...I think it was Chicago Motors. Man that thing looked amazing online and from about 20 feet..paint was deep and looked wet...got close and saw all the paint work, really crappy job...left right away. I had a Carfax on it..they must have fixed it themselves and never turned it in because every part of the font clip had been painted and the passenger door as well. I could run my hand on the underside of the hood and feel the overspray and the drip line on the edges from the clear. Real shame to do that to a car of this caliber. Again, the car really looked nice online and from a distance. I had to take a taxi back to the airport. They picked me up but once I said no...they didn't want to help me. Oh well..had some beers and then ate dinner in Chicago and flew home that night.

I looked at 1 in Fl, 2 in texas, 1 in Atlanta & 1 in Denver. Not counting the few that made the initial cut online that I never went to see for one reason or another. I looked for about 90 days to find the color wanted with all the options I wanted. In the end, it was well worth the wait! I knew when I pulled up and the car was covered in a climate controlled garage I had found the one! A buddy and I drove it home from Arizona....I grinned ear to ear the entire drive back (1200 miles)! and still grin ear to ear every time I drop the pedal!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
That car looks pretty nice in the pictures. Too bad it has so many issues from what others have seen. Good luck finding one you want.

Aaron
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 PM

SL55 AMG
I am selling my 04 with only 49k for around that, PM me if interested.