SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl55 quality woefully inadequate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E46 M3
I wanted to explain the Dodge Neon comparison. The overall appearance of the interior is very nice, but the quality of the plastics and switches don't even come close to those found even on a Passat. Note the cheap garbage that comprises the intrument shroud, the $0.02 HVAC dials, the low-bid driver convenience compartment and cup holders, etc. Just looks like some very unnecessary cost-cutting went on here, with pieces more appropriate in a $20K car than in a $120K car. Not that I don't smile broadly whenever I see an SL............
Old 08-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Sorry, I'm comparing the SL interior with that of an A8...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:52 PM

2018 GLC43, 2021 VW Atlas
You're not comparing the same type of car. What roadster in the same price range or less has a better interior? Can you name one?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55, 2004 E500, 2004 Porsche Turbo Cab, 2007 Ferrari 599, 1988 Ferrari GTS
Are you guys serious? What can be wrong with the all leather interior, simple controls. Drive the car like the others said. It is not a Ferrari or a Porshe turbo, but I love driving it as a daily driver. Has a great sound and fantastic accelaration topped only by a number of cars you can count on one hand.

Now let's talk about quality. I have a minor problem noticing some scratches on the bottom edge of my trunk lid where it meets the bumper which also has a couple of scratches. I opened and closed the trunk and realized that it was not caused by that or anything that I had done. Then I had my wife put the roof down as I watched the trunk lid . The trunk edge actually presses down on the bumper at the start of the process and I think may have caused the scratches. Before I let the dealership "experiment" with my car, I was wondering whether anyone has similar scratches (they run front to back on the edge) or problem???
Old 08-12-2003, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I think someone who judges a car like the SL on the basis of cup-holders and temperature dials is completely missing the point just as the person was who claimed he sold his SL a few months back because he found it too tiring to get in and out of the car.

My SL55 has been pretty much flawless and provides one of the best all round driving experiences available at any price. Believe me, if you have a Ferrari, there's a pile of quality grumbles from the day you pick it up to the day you walk away. That car redeems itself because it's so good to drive.

If you want to compare the A8 with the SL, that's fine. I happen not to like Audis and perhaps we should come back in three years time to see how much your A8 has depreciated in that time. Free-fall will not begin to describe it. Just as well you'll still have your "improved" temperature dials and cup-holders to play with.

I'd cancel your order now before it's too late... you know it makes sense.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
superb observation about lowering the top and having that be the cause of minor surface blemishes between the trunk (boot) and painted (above bumper) surface below... really astute.

I have the same thing; but thought it was clearances between the lid; and didn't want to adjust anything since it's watertight and very perfectly flush... now I think I understand... good detective work!

gene

www.ingerletter.com
Old 08-15-2003, 02:35 PM

I do not find the quality inadequate at all; in fact quite the opposite. Far better design and build quality than its main competitors.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree with SL Boy, the quality of the SL is exceptional. Name me one car made in the whole of the North American continent which even begins to approach the level of quality of the SL. The ML and Z3 are as dire as they are because they are made in the US.

I think the title of this thread "woefully inadequate" is better applied to the US electricity distribution network...
Old 08-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 SL55, 2004 E500, 2004 Porsche Turbo Cab, 2007 Ferrari 599, 1988 Ferrari GTS
To stockseer

Just got my car back form the dealer. He did not want to adjust the trunk lid for obvious reasons. The body shop some how lowered the center part of the bumper 4-5 millimeters so that the trunk lid clears the bumper. There was no adjustment on the side but a slight tapered gap that increases slightly from outer part of the rear lights to the center of the bumper. I may have lessen the gap a little so it doesn't bother my "eye" though someone else may not notice it. I think that the plastic bumper may have been defective and bowed in the center from the factory. I am happy with it though. I just won't look at it too hard.